Hop Dam Triple IPA | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by imaguitargod on 02-14-2010

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to Ataraxia for this extra. Hop Dam pours a completely opaque color that lies somewhere between light-copper and swampy-brown. Murky to the core and obviously unfiltered, the off-white cap retains well for a brew with higher alcohol content and leaves an extremely generous amount of fat and sticky lacing along the sides of the glass. Even once the beer is gone, some white lace remains near the top.

I stick my face into the glass and my nose is hit immediately with a bunch of sweet malts. I find this problem (although I don't know if it should be considered a "problem" per se) often with "Triple" IPAs or IPAs that are "over the edge"... the malt bill must be large enough to stand up to the crazy overload of hops, and in turn, the beer becomes more of a sweet malty concoction rather than a hop-heavy bitter bruiser. The initial whiff of Hop Dam seems to be leading me down this road.

There are definitely some sticky citrus aromas, along with a light pungency of pine and floral hops, but there's no mistaking the huge malt backbone in this one. Lots of caramel, toffee, and butterscotch aromas that actually outplay the hops by quite a bit. Very sweet and almost candy-like to the nostrils. It doesn't smell bad, but I don't know if I wan't my IPAs to smell like this exactly.

As expected, the first sip induces a great amount of bread, toasted caramel, and super huge toffee flavors into my palate. The beer is quite heavy; sticky and thick and borderline chewy, which plays even more into the hands of the heavy malt bill. Hops are sadly secondary, but they do eventually surface once the initial malt-shock mellows out and subsides. They have a lightly citric, but mostly earthy character.

The bitterness provided by the hops barely puts a dent in the sweetness from the malt. I wouldn't go so far as to call Hop Dam "cloying", but I certainly don't want my IPA to be this sweet. Once the taste of the earthy, dirty, mildly-citric hops fades, the aftertaste is left with the leftover malt flavors. The palate finishes with big-time caramel and toffee that coats your taste buds to the (not-so-bitter) end. A little more lively carbonation would have help the thick, sticky mouth feel on this one.

It's not like this beer was offensive or tough to put down, but it doesn't really qualify as much of an IPA to me, let alone a "triple" IPA. I don't care how many hops actually went into the brew kettle - when a beer contains this much malt sweetness coming through in the final flavor profile, you are out of IPA territory. In my opinion, just a "meh" beer on almost every front - nothing exciting happening here, especially not for IPA lovers.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer is golden and fairly clear with a small white head. The aroma is great, offering a big dose of citric hops, followed by alcohol. Pineapples and mango. Good flavor. Bold and aggressive. Aroma is a step above the flavor. A solid offering from Fred and Hoppin' Frog. Best shared.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a TBBC pint glass.

A: Golden peachish amber in color. Quite hazy with lots of floaties. A thin off-white head that fades quickly.

S: Some caramel malts under big aromas of pine, grass and citrus rind hops.

T: Follows the nose. Significantly more roasted caramel presence than I would prefer, but not to the point of overwhelming the other flavors. Pine and grassy hops, not overly bitter. But has some subtle butterscotch flavor in the background (I'm not certain if this is an off-flavor or not).

M: Medium body, moderately hot but not overdone for a triple IPA. Carbonation sensation on the low side.

O: It's fine, I suppose, but nothing outstanding. I wouldn't refuse another but I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%