Hop Dam Triple IPA | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

hoppinfrog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by imaguitargod on 02-14-2010

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

appearance: Certainly not pale. Amber with a pretty decent swatch of head and lacing considering the 10%.
smell: A beast for sure. Lots of hops, lots of malt.
taste: Wow, a buzzsaw of a hop bomb, but the malt hangs in there.
overall: not a subtle bit of artistry but who cares. A hop/malt monster can't be all bad.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: It pours a very hazy orange color topped with ¾” of an inch of head that clings nicely to the side of the glass.
Smell: Even though I have a stuffed up nose I smell a nice aroma of hops, citrus and grassy notes I think.
Taste: Wow it has been a while since I have had this beer and may I say better than I remember. There is a lot more hop presence than expected sure seems more than a typical DIPA. I am having trouble distinguishing between the specific flavors due to the sinus issues but none on the issues are with Hoppin Frog.
Mouthfeel: This isn’t an easy beer to drink quickly but being a Triple IPA and 10% abv it isn’t advised that you down a couple bombers. This is a very enjoyable IIIPA this is IMO one of the best Imperial IPAs in the beer world, well worth seeking one down if you can find it fresh.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

These guys just keep making beers just good enough for me to drop what seems like a good 30-40% too much on them. This one is no exception.

I can't comment on head or lacing due to the glasses being filled to the brim and severed to me. The color is a deep and dirty orange with hints of rust and ruby. I had the first pour and the glass is just littered with yeast, the second pour was nearly a half oz finish of solid yeast. If unfiltered is your thing there are few if any better. If it isn't well you might have to blind fold yourself for this one.

Aromas of caramel, toast, grape fruit and onion are over powering and unmistakable. If you're into dank smelling IPAs well, we've got ourselves a contender.

Much like the aroma the taste is intense rich hops giving off grape fruit, pine, and yes some onion. The malt is intense as the hops with caramel and toast making huge assertive statements. The yeast has the final say give off some nutty and even some earthy vegetable like notes.

My glass lasted me easily a good hour plus, the beer sips well and improves as it warms. This is a big beer that only hints at carbonation. The 10% seems like an error as this one tastes far bigger. The alcohol heat is actual a favorable element that makes this turn into the sipper it needs to be.

At 17.49 a bottle I just can't see myself buying it again. Yes, dreadnaught is damn near impossible to get, hopslam is seasonal, and this beers big brother Devil Dancer is also just seasonal. Still, I don't see myself gladly dropping that kind of money on this beer in the future. It ultimate comes off as a slightly weaker and perhaps more citrus less dank version of Devil Dancer. This is a beer to try for any IPA love, make no mistake about that, but I don't see there being a lot of repeat buyers given the price. Additionally the bottle split two ways was plenty of for two people so buyer beware if you're thinking about doing a bomber alone.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Tasted blindly courtesy of Blind BIF #6.

22oz bomber poured into SA perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Dark orange pushing light brown in body. Slight cloudiness but not bad. Finger of slightly off white (almost light gray) head recedes quickly but leaves some wisps from nucleation point. Really strong lacing on the glass.

Smell: This is a hop monster. Bit of grapefruit but mostly earthy and piney scents.

Taste: Hop bomb and a half. An extremely bitter palate wrecker. Very piney in flavor with a surprisingly present malt profile. More fruity on the backend - mango and grapefruit. This beer is big enough and hoppy enough that it has to be a DIPA, but the alcohol is extremely well hidden - well done!

Mouthfeel: Extremely full bodied. I almost feel like I'm chewing hop leaves. May as well be! Bitterness coats and lingers in the mouth. Moderately carbed.

Drinkability: High for what this is. I will kill this bomber and yearn for another glass. Not sure on ABV, but like I said, this is probably strong enough that one bottle is plenty!

Overall: I'm *really* liking this beer. One of the more drinkable palate smashing DIPA's I've had in a while, and that's saying something considering this is one of the hoppiest beers I can ever recall drinking. It's a little unbalanced, sure, but it's trying to be, so that's a-ok.

3.21/5  rDev -18.3%

picked up this kermit brew in a recent Ohio trip. Was excited to try it.

A - Poured into a pint glass (the first pour) was a nice dark orange almost amber color with a 1/2" white froth. The last pour brought out sediment that hung around the liquid like strawberry seeds in a smoothie.

S - Nice fresh pine hop smell with some malts in there too. not much fruit in there at all.

T - Slightly bitter pine with a dry flat aftertaste. Was a bit unimpressed here. At first the pine hops hit pretty good but the finish was just...lacking.

M - Bitter, mildly carbonated and slightly flat.

O - Not one for me.

Reviewed from notes. 22 oz bottle purchased around the time when it was first released. Poured into a snifter...

A - Pours a hazy, honey color with some mead-like characteristics. A creamy, and quite sticky eggshell white head forms about a half of a finger thick. Sticky lacing is present.

S - Big hop aromas here, but not as big as I was hoping they would be (for a TIPA). Citrus, pine resin, some grassy, earthiness. Tropical fruits make this aroma slightly juicy, although not as big as it could be. I think the malt aroma might take away from some of that juiciness.

T - Taste is quite similar. Malts make a showing first with citrus and fruit flavors following. Grapefuit, lemon rinds, and some slight mango come out. The malts are quite strong here.

M - Creamy, very chewy, sticky, rich beer. Medium bodied that almost feels heavy bodied at times. Moderate to low carbonation on this one.

O - I enjoyed this and found it to be refreshing. Although, I was hoping for more in the way of a hop onslaught. Toning back the malts might help this a bit.

Hop Dam Triple IPA from Hoppin' Frog Brewery