D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout
4.22/5

Added by MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

#997

Ratings: 1,325 |  Reviews: 447

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been cracking open a lot of my cellared beers that I've been neglecting as I don't want them to sit for too long. This is going to be one of them. This is my 2012 vintage of Hoppin' Frog's D.O.R.I.S the Destroyer.

The appearance on this beer stands up to the name it's given, along with the aroma. This beer is pretty much black, especially when it poured. This might be one of the darkest beers I've tasted.

The aroma on this beer is strong. First off, with 10.5% ABV, you can smell some of the alcohol in here, especially after sitting for a year. I get a big chocolate caramel flavor on this beer from the aroma. Very thick as well.

The taste matches up to the smell. Big chocolate notes upon first sipping it. You can taste some of the alcohol sitting in your throat as well. Overall, this is a big powerful beer. I opened this alone, which means I'll most likely stick to one glass but I would recommend sharing with a friend. Perfect for those cold winter nights, not so much in the warmer weather. Enjoy!

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

NOTE: 2012 bottle, about 1 year old

I've come to like the stouts from the Frog people, so this one was just beggin to be drank.

Pours a very deep ruby color, just about black. Nice off tan head, a bit soapy, some rockiness. Hops probably faded a bit on this one, but head retention was pretty nice.

Aroma is deep chocolate, soft and rich. Some sharp hints of coffee and toffee, roasted malt and black plum

Flavor is subtle in a way, and strong. The softness fantastic if a bit faded. Cocoa, molasses, leather, dark plum, coffee, toffee and hint of licorice. Very nice, hides the abv like a Wizard of Oz curtain.

Very nice beer, probably good i waited a year, I bet it was hot younger

3.12/5  rDev -26.1%

Get heavy notes of fish and an almost sardine aftertaste which mostly ruins a good nose. The flavor is good on the front end with heavy smoke. The initial poor the head has a reddish tone which I found strange. Not worth the price tag and a little disappointing from an otherwise top notch brewery.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

DORIS the Destroyer

A - Motor oil! I don't know what the SRM is for pitch black, but that's what it is! Served very cold, so not much head retention. Splotchy lacing that runs down the glass quickly.

S - Aromas of dark chocolate, hints of caramel, espresso, coffee grounds, and licorice. Nice stout nose!

T - I've never had a beer that taste so close the Oreos in my life! This is one of the best stouts I have ever tastes in my life. As a wine drinker as well, you seek balance for a display of perfection; this is what this stout represents. Flavors of brownie mix, fudge, and coffee grounds and ever present. What a beer!

M - This is a thick and frothy beer. Coats the palate well and makes for a great finish.

O - This is the second time I've had this, but my first full bomber. I am so impressed by this stout, it's amazing. With the proliferation of the craft beer market, and the stout style , this is a hard o e to compete with. I give this as close to a 5/5 as it can get...without actually given it one.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured into a 13 oz snifter.

black motor oil body with thin dark head with minimal lacing, rimming retention

smells of dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, alcohol.

Tastes very sweet, very fruity, very malty, bitter, not as much complexity.

Sitcky full chewy body, a bit over carbonated, dry.

Overall, I preferred BORIS to this, just too boozy and too much dark fruit going on, overly sweet and not complex enough.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery