D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout
4.22/5

Added by MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

#979

Ratings: 1,319 |  Reviews: 445
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

2011 gold cap poured into a Great Lakes snifter. Bought this bottle in October and have been sitting on it for a bit. B.O.R.I.S. was enjoyable, let's see how this one goes. Appearance is jet black with a nice light brown head, minimal, but present. Smell is big on coffee and chocolate, I also get a lot more booze in the nose (at 10.5%, I would think so.) Not sure if this is supposed to have the same oatmeal character as B.O.R.I.S. but I get a hint of it. BIG chocolate in the taste, more so than the coffee. Robust, thick, and full, I'm into it. Mouthfeel is syrupy, thick, and all around what I would expect from a big stout such as this. Overall, it's a great imperial, not sure if a whole bottle to myself is the best idea, it's rather filling. I'd say it was worth the $14 I paid for it. If you're able to obtain Hoppin' Frog brews like this, go for it.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

From a 22oz. Red cap. Purchased two weekends ago in Acme in Akron.

Midnight black, paper-bag brown head, decent lacing.

Pretty good aroma, aroma is on the hoppy-side like a black IPA. Reminds me of fresh Night Stalker

Heavy roast and hoppiness throughout the flavor, though I couldn't possibly pick out the varieties.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy, heavier, lower carbonation, nearly perfect for a huge stout.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a super dark brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of roasted malt with black chocolate and some green dry hops notes. Taste is dominated by intense notes of roasted malt with some dry black chocolate and some light coffee notes. There is also some green hops notes which I am not sure really brings anything more to this beer. Body is full with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting, intense but I really could do without the hops profile in this one.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a thick, black, oil-like liquid with a thin dark brown head. A nice ring of lacing sticks around as well as small splotches resting on top.

S - Bodacious scents of dark chocolate, roasty malts, coffee and a nice licorice, dark fruit aroma. Really pleasant aromas here all around. A very nice blend.

T - A roasty, nutty taste engulfs my mouth but the finish was too bitter for me hiding some other possible flavors.

M - Medium carbonated with a bitter/thin finish.

O - Not bad. Prefer BORIS.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle that just shelfs around me so I figure its bottles late "11 or early 2012 into a mini snifter.

Appearance: a thicker black brew with a light tan head and little spot of lacing down my mini snifter.

Smells: a bigger hop note than most RIS that I am used to but I really like it. there is a big roasted malt and coffee character with sweet chocolate and toffee.

Tastes: a heavy roasted bread like malt along with roasted coffee and bitter bakers chocolate.

Mouthfeel: a light carbonation and sweet chocolate aftertaste, that blends with a flavorful roasted coffee aftertaste. a little burn from the 10 and a half % that is very enjoyable.

Overall: I really enjoyed this brew and look forward to picking up some more before I make the same mistake I made last year by not buying more than a bottle before its gone. the $13 price doesn't make it a everyday beer for me, but I am fortunate enough to be able to try it just for the sake of tying it and boy am I happy I did. I love this brew and have to say this is the first hoppin frog brew I tried and I am very happy with it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: DORIS pours black and thick looking with a ¼” crown of brown head and leaves some lacing down the glass.
Smell: It smells of chocolate to start with dark fruits to follow with some coffee in the background.
Taste: The taste is a lot like the smell very damn tasty. Chocolate dominates the flavor with the coffee and dark fruits in the background. There is a slight bitterness in the after taste not a bad bitterness or over powering just enough to let you know that it is there.
Mouthfeel: This feels like an almost perfect 10.5% stout thick and rather sticky it clings to the tongue well into the next sip. Doris is a fine representation of a double imperial stout, definitely Boris’s bigger sister.

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

Extremely dark beer, but not opaque, and there is no head.

Smells like sweet hazelnut coffee with lots of cream and sugar.

I am very surprised with how mellow this beer is; for a double imperial stout I was expecting something kind of harsh. i immediately get a mellow, semi-sweet malt character that is slightly tangy. As it develops, more coffee comes out, then a hint of hops, and it finishes as a dark coffee with sugar but no cream.

Feels very smooth in the front, there is a light alcohol bump at the back of the throat as it goes down.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

I drank this from a bomber bottle poured into my trusty chalice glass.

A- Jet black color, with a half finger cream colored head that quickly dissipated

A- Wonderful aroma of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits and molasses

T- Follows the nose pretty closely, with chocolate and cocoa up front, some coffee, some dark fruits like plums, sweet molasses. I get just a slight bitterness on the back end

M- Deliciously creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation. Beautifully balanced beer. No alcohol burn detected.

O- I highly recommend this beer. Wonderful from start to finish, truly enjoyable experience. Another great beer from Hoppin Frog

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

I opened this one during the super bowl for everyone to try. I think it was from early 2010.

A - Pours jet black with a small film of tan head leaving light lace down the glass. Wasn't too bad initially but it died over the course of the glass.

S - Smells of coffee, chocolate, dark roasted grains, and molasses. It has some good stuff going for it but nothing earth shattering so far.

T - Starts off with a big dose of dark roasted grains slowly giving way to hints of coffee, chocolate and molasses sweetness. Plenty of dark roast persists through the finish, lingering for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, roasty initially growing pretty thin over the course of the glass.

O - This one wasn't too bad. It had some good flavors going for it but the lack of carbonation really let this one down. I still have another one, I hope that one will be a little better.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery