D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Ratings: 1,330 |  Reviews: 448
4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

22 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

Up late last night with friends, up for work early this morning, knocked out the chores, caught Carolina squeaking out a win – it’s been a full last 24 hours. And now, I’m going to enjoy a beer and grab a nap before the circus starts up tomorrow.

Update – waited till the next day. I have all afternoon to enjoy this. Plus, I was smart enough to buy two bottles of this, as it’s hard to get in New Jersey.

A: I pour it aggressively, and I’m duly impressed. It is a very nice dark brown color, even darker than dark chocolate. I would go with strong coffee as a color. The head produced is roughly 1.5 cm, darker than caramel, holds for almost two minutes, then dissolves into a lace left on the sides of the glass. I have to say, I’m happy with the way the beer looks. We may have something here.

S: I’m starting to get my hopes up here – this beer is what you expect for a Russian Imperial Stout to smell like. I’m getting strong coffee, dark chocolate, caramel, hops, orange – all in good proportion, and in your face. It’s the difference between when you cook something in the microwave, and can smell it in the kitchen, and when you cook something in the regular oven, and can smell it throughout the house.

T: As Tommy Chong would have said, Oh wow, man… this is an outstanding beer. It has your coffee, your dark chocolate, your caramel, your hops, your orange; not only that, but they are holy crap strong. The good folks at Hoppin’ Frog weren’t messing around when they came up with this one. It’s one of the better stouts, heck, better beers period, that I’ve had in quite some time.

M: This beer has great mouthfeel for those of you who like stouts – even if you don’t, this has the power to potentially convert you. It’s nice and full-bodied, the carbonation is very well done, it makes the palate dance, and leaves a very nice orange and hop finish.

O: This is a very well-crafted beer. From the way it looks, to the way it smells, to the taste, to how the mouth just loves it, it’s a great play by the brewery. I’m beyond happy that I was able to pick up two of these at the beer store; I just wish they’d had more, as I would have snagged a case if I could. If you’re a lover of stouts, do yourself a favor and pick this one up; I promise you won’t be disappointed.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A semi-aggressive pour got me a ½" dark brown creamy looking head with the consistency and appearance of used motor oil. Stick, cling-tight lacing was present. I will say it again; this is one super thick, dark pour. I like it already!!!

Smell: When the beer is cold, it has a pungent, alcohol booziness aroma, dominated by roasted malt, with a hint of espresso and chocolate. As the beer warms closer to room temperature, the roasted malts spring to life, with a mild hop presence too.

Taste: Big, big roasty malts mixed with booziness and burnt coffee. Dark, lightly sweetened-bitter chocolate sticks around for awhile. A boozy warmth tingles the back of the throat as it goes down. Hops are there too, but take a back seat to the roasty malts.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, sticky, full bodied beer with almost non-existent carbonation. A slight oily, but tingly feeling on the tongue with each sip, though it could also be from the alcohol bite. There is a defintive lingering bitterness present.

Overall: A heavy, sticky, wonderful, unique, slow-sipping DIS. Imperial Stout lovers should add this to their “must try” list. A nice, slow sipper for the cold winter months. I would seek this one out again and try aging it a year or so in the basement. Very well done Hoppin Frog…

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a super-thick, oily balck color with very minimal dark tan head. A pretty mild aroma, but it's full of burnt/dark sugars that give you the hint of richness. Absolutely smooth and delightful in taste. Hints of coffee/chocolate, but mostly heavy/dark sugars take over. Amazingly, the ABV is well hidden within the beer. The thick nature of the brew keeps on the tongue for a while. Excellent drink .

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased this bottle at Julio's sometime last summer. Shared with bpk59, reviewed from notes. Poured into a tulip.

A - Rich oily molasses pour with a thick one finger dark milk chocolate head that leaves thick side lacing and blanket.

S - Nice rich roasted malts and chocolate with...whats this?? Anise!?

T - Wow, this is nice. Some deep, rich roasted malts and maybe some oats as well as some light smoke. Good bitter chocolate, very deep and enjoyable. Super tasty.

M - Creamy, smooth, tasty thick and a bit chewy. Really nice RIS.

O - Overall, this was a very, very good beer from Hoppin' Frog. I liked this much better than BORIS.

3.67/5  rDev -13%

Poured into a snifter. Pours extremely dark black, with high viscosity, no head formation

S: huge robust/smokey malt with big dark chocolate. Coffee, alcohol and a sweet molasses is also present. Hops are very mild.

T: just like the smell, expect the hops really come out creating some bitterness (I personally have mixed feeling about the addition of hops and the balance it creates). Molasses is also there which draws the bitterness away.

I feel that this one should be shared. The body is huge, and the taste is extremely bold.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bomber into a snifter. A - Pour is dark and forms a thin mocha head which quickly dissipates. S - Chocolate, roasted malt and coffee with a nice boozy note. Some minor hops shining through. T - A nice mix of the usual chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt with a nice alcohol bite. Some bitterness from the hops, but overpowered by the above qualities. M - Smooth and creamy with a light carbonation. A great stout.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Solid black with a thin mocha head that leaves a ring a shimmering ruby, mocha foam.

S - Dark fruits, licorice, bittersweet chocolate, roast coffee, cocoa, malted milk, molasses, sherry and floral hops.

T - Sweet with overly roasted malts, almost burnt. caramel, toffee, chocolate, molasses and herbal hops. Doesn't blend as well as the aroma.

M - Full body and creamy with a lingering burnt hoppy bitterness.

D - Taste is not as good as BORIS but still solid.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

2011 gold cap poured into a Great Lakes snifter. Bought this bottle in October and have been sitting on it for a bit. B.O.R.I.S. was enjoyable, let's see how this one goes. Appearance is jet black with a nice light brown head, minimal, but present. Smell is big on coffee and chocolate, I also get a lot more booze in the nose (at 10.5%, I would think so.) Not sure if this is supposed to have the same oatmeal character as B.O.R.I.S. but I get a hint of it. BIG chocolate in the taste, more so than the coffee. Robust, thick, and full, I'm into it. Mouthfeel is syrupy, thick, and all around what I would expect from a big stout such as this. Overall, it's a great imperial, not sure if a whole bottle to myself is the best idea, it's rather filling. I'd say it was worth the $14 I paid for it. If you're able to obtain Hoppin' Frog brews like this, go for it.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

From a 22oz. Red cap. Purchased two weekends ago in Acme in Akron.

Midnight black, paper-bag brown head, decent lacing.

Pretty good aroma, aroma is on the hoppy-side like a black IPA. Reminds me of fresh Night Stalker

Heavy roast and hoppiness throughout the flavor, though I couldn't possibly pick out the varieties.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy, heavier, lower carbonation, nearly perfect for a huge stout.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a super dark brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of roasted malt with black chocolate and some green dry hops notes. Taste is dominated by intense notes of roasted malt with some dry black chocolate and some light coffee notes. There is also some green hops notes which I am not sure really brings anything more to this beer. Body is full with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting, intense but I really could do without the hops profile in this one.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a thick, black, oil-like liquid with a thin dark brown head. A nice ring of lacing sticks around as well as small splotches resting on top.

S - Bodacious scents of dark chocolate, roasty malts, coffee and a nice licorice, dark fruit aroma. Really pleasant aromas here all around. A very nice blend.

T - A roasty, nutty taste engulfs my mouth but the finish was too bitter for me hiding some other possible flavors.

M - Medium carbonated with a bitter/thin finish.

O - Not bad. Prefer BORIS.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle that just shelfs around me so I figure its bottles late "11 or early 2012 into a mini snifter.

Appearance: a thicker black brew with a light tan head and little spot of lacing down my mini snifter.

Smells: a bigger hop note than most RIS that I am used to but I really like it. there is a big roasted malt and coffee character with sweet chocolate and toffee.

Tastes: a heavy roasted bread like malt along with roasted coffee and bitter bakers chocolate.

Mouthfeel: a light carbonation and sweet chocolate aftertaste, that blends with a flavorful roasted coffee aftertaste. a little burn from the 10 and a half % that is very enjoyable.

Overall: I really enjoyed this brew and look forward to picking up some more before I make the same mistake I made last year by not buying more than a bottle before its gone. the $13 price doesn't make it a everyday beer for me, but I am fortunate enough to be able to try it just for the sake of tying it and boy am I happy I did. I love this brew and have to say this is the first hoppin frog brew I tried and I am very happy with it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: DORIS pours black and thick looking with a ¼” crown of brown head and leaves some lacing down the glass.
Smell: It smells of chocolate to start with dark fruits to follow with some coffee in the background.
Taste: The taste is a lot like the smell very damn tasty. Chocolate dominates the flavor with the coffee and dark fruits in the background. There is a slight bitterness in the after taste not a bad bitterness or over powering just enough to let you know that it is there.
Mouthfeel: This feels like an almost perfect 10.5% stout thick and rather sticky it clings to the tongue well into the next sip. Doris is a fine representation of a double imperial stout, definitely Boris’s bigger sister.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer from Hoppin' Frog Brewery