D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

4.2

Ratings: 1,309 |  Reviews: 443

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle that just shelfs around me so I figure its bottles late "11 or early 2012 into a mini snifter.

Appearance: a thicker black brew with a light tan head and little spot of lacing down my mini snifter.

Smells: a bigger hop note than most RIS that I am used to but I really like it. there is a big roasted malt and coffee character with sweet chocolate and toffee.

Tastes: a heavy roasted bread like malt along with roasted coffee and bitter bakers chocolate.

Mouthfeel: a light carbonation and sweet chocolate aftertaste, that blends with a flavorful roasted coffee aftertaste. a little burn from the 10 and a half % that is very enjoyable.

Overall: I really enjoyed this brew and look forward to picking up some more before I make the same mistake I made last year by not buying more than a bottle before its gone. the $13 price doesn't make it a everyday beer for me, but I am fortunate enough to be able to try it just for the sake of tying it and boy am I happy I did. I love this brew and have to say this is the first hoppin frog brew I tried and I am very happy with it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: DORIS pours black and thick looking with a ¼” crown of brown head and leaves some lacing down the glass.
Smell: It smells of chocolate to start with dark fruits to follow with some coffee in the background.
Taste: The taste is a lot like the smell very damn tasty. Chocolate dominates the flavor with the coffee and dark fruits in the background. There is a slight bitterness in the after taste not a bad bitterness or over powering just enough to let you know that it is there.
Mouthfeel: This feels like an almost perfect 10.5% stout thick and rather sticky it clings to the tongue well into the next sip. Doris is a fine representation of a double imperial stout, definitely Boris’s bigger sister.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Extremely dark beer, but not opaque, and there is no head.

Smells like sweet hazelnut coffee with lots of cream and sugar.

I am very surprised with how mellow this beer is; for a double imperial stout I was expecting something kind of harsh. i immediately get a mellow, semi-sweet malt character that is slightly tangy. As it develops, more coffee comes out, then a hint of hops, and it finishes as a dark coffee with sugar but no cream.

Feels very smooth in the front, there is a light alcohol bump at the back of the throat as it goes down.

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

I drank this from a bomber bottle poured into my trusty chalice glass.

A- Jet black color, with a half finger cream colored head that quickly dissipated

A- Wonderful aroma of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits and molasses

T- Follows the nose pretty closely, with chocolate and cocoa up front, some coffee, some dark fruits like plums, sweet molasses. I get just a slight bitterness on the back end

M- Deliciously creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation. Beautifully balanced beer. No alcohol burn detected.

O- I highly recommend this beer. Wonderful from start to finish, truly enjoyable experience. Another great beer from Hoppin Frog

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

I opened this one during the super bowl for everyone to try. I think it was from early 2010.

A - Pours jet black with a small film of tan head leaving light lace down the glass. Wasn't too bad initially but it died over the course of the glass.

S - Smells of coffee, chocolate, dark roasted grains, and molasses. It has some good stuff going for it but nothing earth shattering so far.

T - Starts off with a big dose of dark roasted grains slowly giving way to hints of coffee, chocolate and molasses sweetness. Plenty of dark roast persists through the finish, lingering for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, roasty initially growing pretty thin over the course of the glass.

O - This one wasn't too bad. It had some good flavors going for it but the lack of carbonation really let this one down. I still have another one, I hope that one will be a little better.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Look: Black and opaque with just over a 1/4 inch tan head and good retention

Smell: Upfront is some roasted malt backed up by a kiss of coffee and chocolate

Taste: The flavors are not as complex as I was hoping for. It starts out with some coffee and is backed up by some chocolate and finishes with a slight bitterness

Mouthfeel: Full body and medium carbonation and a bit chewy

Overall: Good beer was hoping for more

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a pitch black, dark as midnight, into your glass. A hard pour will produce a decent mocha head, which leaves some impressive lacing.

Nose is light for the style ... I was expecting a bit more. There is definitely coffee and chocolate, as well as some dark fruit in the nose. Hops don't make an appearance.

The taste follows the nose in that it is full and rich, yet not cloying. Mocha, coffee, expresso and chocolate notes are prominent. Hops don't make a showing, but a slight fusel note is there, if you are ready for it.

Mouthfeel is HUGE ... almost chewy. If you want a beer you can "bite into", this is it .. very thick, and the subdued carbonation adds to that feeling.

Overall, this is just another great brew from Hoppin Frog brewery, and Fred Karm, the head brewer. Definitely recommended to RIS fans.

Na Zdravje!

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

A big thanks to Jonathan (Janderson91) for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a dark color and about two fingers of mocha head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell – Nice roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, slight dark fruits such as plums, and molasses.

Taste – As the aroma lends one to believe, some nice dry roasted malt flavor up front mixed with a bit more milk chocolate (rather than bittersweet cocoa). Oatmeal, coffee, fudge.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, overall decent carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

Overall – A pretty darn good stout. Nice and dry, not overly sweet. Just how I like them.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%