Turbo Shandy

Summer
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Turbo ShandyTurbo Shandy
Notes:
Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 191 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.67/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Canned on 6/7/19, poured into a pint glass at World of Beer in Easton Town Center (Columbus) .
No head or lacing to speak of, but that didn't matter much after the first taste.
A very refreshing citrus ale, with a semi-sweet lemon/lime finish. Reminiscent of 7-Up at a pool party!
Try this on a hot summer afternoon; can't go wrong!

3.79/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A guy at the grocery store recommended this, particularly how the alcohol is so well hidden. Poured from a 12 ounce can into a DFH tulip, it had a semi large head over a lemon colored body. The smell and taste were of sweet lemons with no hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is fine for a summer drink.

I know some reviewers have problems thinking of this as a beer but the same accusation can be leveled at other fruit and field beers. Plus Hoppin' Frog's price points are always an issue. But it was a good beer with fried chicken and potato salad on a warm August day.

3.14/5  rDev -10.5%

It is just way too sweet and artificial tasting. Over the top. Tried original, BA, Tequila BA, and Mango Habanero BA. Just too sweet. BA variants were less sweet then original, but still too sweet. Couldn’t finish the 5 oz samples. Tastes like something the macro breweries would produce.

HF is still one of my favorite breweries, cranking out amazing dark beers that should be the gold standard for all brewers to strive for.

7/2/19
5oz samples at brewery
3 rating

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Was having dinner here tasting all the regular things I would go for when the brewmaster, Fred, walked up and asked how I liked the Shandy. After exchanging an awkward glance with my friend we informed him it wasn't our thing. He promptly ordered me one and watched me eat crow. It's delicious. Frustratingly so. If it weren't so expensive this would absolutely be a summer staple!

3.99/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

L: Cloudy medium golden pour. Thin white head. Modest lacing.

S: Tangy citrus. Sweet and fruity.

T/F: Zesty lemonade. Not a lot of beer character... mostly sweet/tart lemonade. Crisp and refreshing. Well carbonated. Medium to light in body. Finish is citrus.

O: A delicious radler. Nothing fancy... just very well made. My wife loves it, and if I were inclined to drink shandy's this one would be near the top of the list.

4.01/5  rDev +14.2%

Creamy bright yellow with minimal head but a surprising amount of reaching lace.

All lemon on the nose, but closer to a lemon bar than lemonade or lemon meringue pie as it is not as sharp and tart in aroma as those as there is a bit of cookie dampening, which actually makes it easier to breath it in with huge whiffs.

From all that I've heard, Country Time lemonade is the target. Turbo is not as tart or sour or sweet as either that, or your traditional homemade lemonade--it is very dialed in and precisely balanced.

Lemon is the star of the show and is perfectly blended to a very dangerous effect, making it crazily drinkable, especially on a warm, sunny summer day. As such, it is wise to warn the ladies that often flock to the brewery during summer months, especially with the recent influx of variants, on how strong this beer truly is compared to your average fruity beer.

Turbo is very full bodied and bright, yet not heavy or bogged down with wheat or grain as other fruit beers are. The malt influence is a bit of sugar cookie and biscuit, but not too sweet.

I have absolutely no problem drinking a pint of this shandy, by myself, belly up to the bar. It really is great on its own, but, I'll tell you a not so carefully held secret, when they blend it with Gangster Frog, it really pops!

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, summer 2015 bottling. Pours lightly hazy pale golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a ring of lace that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big lemonade, lemon peel, lime, grapefruit, wheat, cracker, light honey, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance of lemon/citrus, bready malt, and light earthy hop/yeast notes; with great strength. Taste of big lemonade, lemon peel, lime, grapefruit, wheat, cracker, light honey, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Light herbal bitterness, yeast spiciness, and citrus tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemonade, lemon peel, wheat, cracker, light honey, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and balance of lemon/citrus, bready malt, and light earthy hop/yeast flavors; with great malt/spice/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, fairly crisp, and slightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent shandy style! All around great robustness and balance of lemon/citrus, bready malt, and light earthy hop/yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.99/5  rDev +13.7%

I guess I am the sucker for fruit and vegetable brews - I love it when a brewer cooks up a refreshing mix like this. They don't all work as well as this one, but ones like this make the adventure worthwhile.

It's a strange, cloudy looking yellow. Citrus hops and soda pop dominate the smell nicely.

The taste is mild and refreshing citrus, hop and pop taste. It is both sweet and tart.

The whole experience is extremely refreshing and recommended, but I don't think you will find them again until next year (this review was from notes from last summer).

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is 1/2 finger thick, with secular lacing, and a clear straw golden body.

I smell a generous helping of sweeter, jucier citrus. It seems natural & non-offensive.

Tastes like nice and juicy citrus, perhaps with even a dash of juice in there. Nothing artificial syrup tasting,though. I also can't detect the higher ABV in this usually 5% at the most style.

Mouthfeel here is clean and crisp. Very refreshing&would most certainly hit the spot on a hot summer's day. Much cleaner than any _____ -A-Rita I've tried, that's for sure!

Overall, I'll give Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery a 4.5 I might have rated this even higher in the summer months, but its still a very damn good representation of the style.

3.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

1 PINT 6 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

This beer pours an opaque straw color. It is topped with an inch of white head that leaves no lacing.

It smells like lemonade mixed with citrus soda.

This beer is very sweet. It tastes like powdered lemonade mixed with lemon lime soda.

Thin and overcarbonated

If I was blindfolded I would guess that this was a malternative beverage along the lines of Miller Chill or Smirnoff Ice. Yet some part of me wants to try the barrel aged version.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Not the best beer, but definitely the best Shandy! Unusually high ABV for a Shandy, but still has a great citrus taste & surprisingly smooth for 7%. Unless you absolutely refuse to drink a Shandy, give this beer a try. Perfectly refreshing for spring & summer.

4.54/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let my buddy help me review this because he loves some good summer beers. He says he's pissed they don't distribute in our area. Says it's the best summer beer he's ever had. Taste is lemony and almost like a 7-up. Really easy to drink. I could see us drinking 3 or 4 bombers on a hot summer day. Makes us wish we lived in Cleveland. This is one good beer. Maybe it doesn't taste like beer, but who cares. The taste is great and at 7.2% we could throw a bunch back and be feeling real good.
I wish I had more to try from hoppin frog. Gonna snag some up next time I'm in the area!

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours light golden with almost no head. Smells like lemon ginger ale and I honestly don't need to describe the flavor any more than that. It is what it is Taste is just like the smell: zesty lemon peel, ginger ale, a bit of apricot. Effervescent and refreshing. Lots of hate for shandies out there, but this is really refreshing and a good beer for the style, and would be great on a boat on the lake in a hot summer. A real thirst quenching beer, though you would admittedly have to enjoy citrus.

2.97/5  rDev -15.4%

Eye: Cloudy lemon in color. Carbonation looks active but not much of a head forms when poured and retention is nonexistent. All I end up with is a ring of lace with some spotty looking "islands" of very thin, very very thin foam over the top of the beer. Better head would give this one a much more appealing appearance.

Nose: Lemony aroma supported by light malt tones. Wheat aroma as well. Very light lemonade or lemon-lime soda aroma as compared to other shandies. Smells much more beer forward comparatively speaking.

Tongue: Weird kinda lemon taste up front. Almost kinda like a Honey-lemon cough drop-Halls with some menthol in there too. I mean its almost akin to the flavor of one of those cough drops. It just doesn't sit quite right. The honey type of flavor mixed with the lemon shandy flavor is a bit cloying and overpowering. It just tastes too much like one of those cough drops. Not really doing it for me. Body is medium and it feels like a wheat beer on the palate. Carbonation is low, but for something that is cloying like this I think a little more spritz would help to kill the cloying syrupy lemon-honey vibe I'm getting from this.

Drinkability: Unfortunately this is one that I'll not be picking up again. On a hot day I love a shandy, but not one that makes me even thirstier by turning my saliva into thick syrup. Go for something lighter and less syrupy. This one almost reminds me of winter when I have a cold and get relief from cough drops, I don't want to be reminded of being sick....

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured a fizzy, active finger of near white head over a yellow body. There are more bubbles coming up from the bottom of this beer than I usually see.

This beer smells of lemon candy. I also get pale malt and a light grass aroma.

It tastes lightly of lemon jolly ranchers, with subdued sweet-grass at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. It is syrupy while still being light, if that makes any sense.

3.76/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a tough beer to review, as the whole style doesn't receive many accolades or respect. I'll compare it to beers of like style though, and go from there.

The smell is pretty strongly of lemon soda. If I were to open up a lemon soda, that's what I would expect to smell. I then do get a bit of weak, pale "beery" malt that does show this is an alcoholic beverage after all.

Pours a fizzy yellow in my cup with really no head to speak of. Kind of like a soda again.

The taste is quite sweet upfront. A sugary lemon soda for sure. Sweeter than most shandies that I've had. Perhaps how they cover up the high ABV?? Because it sure isn't very perceptible. It does taste good though. I like lemons and I do drink soda. A weak beer malt does peek through though. Which again does show this is an adult beverage. The base beer, if I had to guess, isn't much different than any macro. I bet that's by design. I also get a bit of grain.

Pretty drinkable but perhaps too sweet for more than one.

2.51/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass. 2013 vintage, did not note the date.

Aroma was lemony but not overly fresh, some faint malt in the background. Nothing overly enticing here.

Appearance - slightly cloudy golden cooler, a few bubbles but no real head. Some small bubbles appeared throughout the consumption.

Taste - very sweet, some lemon up front, a little acidity, but mostly sweet. The malt character wasn't really present either.

Mouthfeel - cloying sweetness and definitely coating. Bordering on syrupy. To me, lacking in carbonation. A strange aftertaste that is not bitter or citrusy - almost an oily character.

For me, this was a weak offering from Hoppin' Frog. I look for this style to be refreshing and lively, but this one was overly sweet and dead heavy. It didn't have the lemonade brightness I was looking for and the brew behind the flavor lacked character.

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Purchased from Hoppin' Frog brewery on the day they were bottling Turbo Shady. Poured about 2 hours later. Almost impossible to have any fresher.

A - Light golden, slightly hazy, zero head, zero lacing, constant carbonation rising.

S - Lemonade, sugar, lots of citrus, lightly barley, light malt

T - lemon, sweet red wine, wheat, lots of citrus, light malt

M - med body, froth level is low, descent amount of carbonation

O - Good summer drink. Yes, technically its a 'beer' but this is really sweet - almost too sweet. Frothiness isn't there. I wouldnt say its on the level of Mike's Hard Lemonade tho. If your not on a boat in the summer warmth- I might avoid this.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

REVIEW

Style: Fruit beer, shandy

ABV: 7%

Purchased at: Woodman’s Market; Madison, WI.

Pour: Blonde pour with a medium white head.

Aroma: Lemon fruit scent, maybe some yeast notes as well.

Flavor: The sweet lemonade is there. I described it as very close to drinking a Squirt soda.

Ratebeer.com rating: 39/100

Beeradvocate.com rating: 79/100

Overall: C+

My recommendation: A hot day, this works well. The only drawback for me, not enough beer flavor and too sweet. A good 22 oz bottle to share with somebody.

2.87/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This was not good. It's not that it tasted bad, it's that it tasted wrong for a beer. It didn't taste like beer. It tasted like an artificially flavored children's soda pop, and a really overdone one at that. It was cloying and fake tasting. I gave it a couple tries but just couldn't motivate to keep on sipping. One sip and sniff was enough to know things weren't looking good. Another couple was enough to not want any more of it.

2.22/5  rDev -36.8%

Looks pretty bad, even for a fruit beer. It's mostly straw gold with an ever so slight reddish orange mixed in. Think 5 parts gold to 1 part reddish orange. There is no head. Maybe a few bubbles early on, but they're gone in no time. It resembles a watered down orange Kook Aid.

The smell isn't much better. Has a slight lemon ginger scent, but that's it. Plus, it's almost an artificial smell.

Getting better, but still not good. Finally, at least I can taste some beer ingredients...a little malt. A lot of lemon citrus notes, some carbonation, a lot of sugar.

Believe it or not, it's got a heavy, thick syrupy feel to it. Some carbonation and sweetness, a lot of sweetness. Kind of a twang, but it's overpowered by the sweetness. Tartness in the finish.

Thank God it's a high ABV shandy or this would be worthless. It's simply not a good beer and it's difficult to drink. Too syrupy and lacks good flavors. Not something I'll ever have again.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

22 oz bottle poured into pilsner glass. Served this well chilled.

A) Cloudy yellow with a massive white foamy head. The head settled quickly to a soapy looking collar. Not much lacing.

S) The positive about the nose on this brew, is that it doesn't have that lemony household cleaner thing going on. The negative is the sweetness, not so much that it's too sweet, but it's kind of an artificial sweetener. The scent is fresh enough, and good for a bottled shandy.

T) A fine beer lemonade combo. Follows the nose pretty closely, but I bumped the score up a notch, because the taste seemed more natural to me, like fresh lemon juice and table sugar. This one is super refreshing. The 7% ABV is completely unnoticed, which makes this one dangerous. At the same time, a 7% ABV shandy, is quite contrary to the invention of the shandy in the first place.

M) A medium body, and not overly carbonated. It is a little bit syrupy. It could have actually been just a little lighter, but even so it delivered a refreshing lemon pick me up.

O) Really quite an enjoyable fruit/vegetable beer here. If you are looking to try a bottled shandy, I'd highly recommend this one. It went down great on a 100 degree summer day.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pours a hazy straw yellow with two fingers of pure white head. Good amount of lacing, a rim of retention

S - loads of lemonade up front, almost too sweet, followed by a bit of malt. no alcohol on the nose

T - mostly lemonade as in the nose, a fair malt backbone, bordering on the edge of too sweet

M - not too thin, good amount of carbonation, no alcohol to speak of, even at 7%abv

O - if the sweetness was toned down just a touch, this would be a phenomenal shandy. As it is, it is still a very refreshing drink for a hot summer afternoon.

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%

Fruit and beer has a commingling history although many staunch beer aficionados frown upon the combinations today. Lemonade infused beers have fallen in and out of favor in Germany in radlers or the tropics as shandy, but they rarely exhibit the fortified strength of seven percent alcohol.

Hazy golden in color, the "dirty" yellow hue sheads its early carbonation and goes quickly still. Terse head character, carbonation, and no real lacing gives the beer a slightly dull appearance throughout.

Where it's kind of an ugly duckling to the eye, the nose is very perfumy with lemons, wheat, cookie dough, and powdered sugar. Light fruity-spicy interplay lies squarely on the lemons but is also timidly supported with orange zest, corriander, and peppery alcohol.

Sweet lemons are again the dominant flavor, and by a long shot. The sugar and fruit juice thwart the flimsy wheat malt, doughy yeast, or herbal hop character. The simplified palate that's all-about-lemon offers little complexity, balance, or interest to celebrate otherwise- but boy is it still tasty!

The sugary-sweet mouth feel coats the palate with soda-pop residually sweet tact and mild lemon acidity. The sweetness gives the blend an extended finish with zesty fruit closure with nary a suggestion of alcohol anywhere.

Comparisons to actual non-blended beers aren't quite fair as the fruit doesn't participate in the brewing or fermentation processes. Rather, as a blend of two beverages it's more of a cocktail of ale and lemonade. Although I find the blend very refreshing, absolutely tasty, and delightful, I like it for very different reasons than I like beer.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a hazy bright yellow color with a half finger of fizzy soda like head that falls at a decent rate to a ring around the glass. Not too much lacing.

S= The smell lemony like a shandy. I'm not sure if shandys are allowed on beeradvocate but for a shandy this doesn't smell bad. Big bright in your face lemonade aroma with a secondary wheat smell you can pick up pretty easily.

T= The taste is just like the smell lemonade and a wheat beer mixed together. The lemon character may be a little too sweet for my liking but not too over the top. The wheat flavor comes through in the end and finishes nicely. Nice bit of tartness to the lemonade but again just a little too sweet for me.

M= Nice bubbly carbonation keeps the tongue happy.

O= A decent shandy. It's a little overly sweet but the wheat character and the lemon are well done. Nice carbonation and a good sipper on a hot day like today. I'm happy a craft brewer decided to make a shandy and make it pretty well. Tone the sweetness down a bit and this would be a most excellent beverage.

Turbo Shandy from Hoppin' Frog Brewery