Turbo Shandy | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Liked:
3.47/5
Alströms:

2.97/5  rDev -14.4%

Eye: Cloudy lemon in color. Carbonation looks active but not much of a head forms when poured and retention is nonexistent. All I end up with is a ring of lace with some spotty looking "islands" of very thin, very very thin foam over the top of the beer. Better head would give this one a much more appealing appearance.

Nose: Lemony aroma supported by light malt tones. Wheat aroma as well. Very light lemonade or lemon-lime soda aroma as compared to other shandies. Smells much more beer forward comparatively speaking.

Tongue: Weird kinda lemon taste up front. Almost kinda like a Honey-lemon cough drop-Halls with some menthol in there too. I mean its almost akin to the flavor of one of those cough drops. It just doesn't sit quite right. The honey type of flavor mixed with the lemon shandy flavor is a bit cloying and overpowering. It just tastes too much like one of those cough drops. Not really doing it for me. Body is medium and it feels like a wheat beer on the palate. Carbonation is low, but for something that is cloying like this I think a little more spritz would help to kill the cloying syrupy lemon-honey vibe I'm getting from this.

Drinkability: Unfortunately this is one that I'll not be picking up again. On a hot day I love a shandy, but not one that makes me even thirstier by turning my saliva into thick syrup. Go for something lighter and less syrupy. This one almost reminds me of winter when I have a cold and get relief from cough drops, I don't want to be reminded of being sick....

3.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured a fizzy, active finger of near white head over a yellow body. There are more bubbles coming up from the bottom of this beer than I usually see.

This beer smells of lemon candy. I also get pale malt and a light grass aroma.

It tastes lightly of lemon jolly ranchers, with subdued sweet-grass at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. It is syrupy while still being light, if that makes any sense.

3.76/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a tough beer to review, as the whole style doesn't receive many accolades or respect. I'll compare it to beers of like style though, and go from there.

The smell is pretty strongly of lemon soda. If I were to open up a lemon soda, that's what I would expect to smell. I then do get a bit of weak, pale "beery" malt that does show this is an alcoholic beverage after all.

Pours a fizzy yellow in my cup with really no head to speak of. Kind of like a soda again.

The taste is quite sweet upfront. A sugary lemon soda for sure. Sweeter than most shandies that I've had. Perhaps how they cover up the high ABV?? Because it sure isn't very perceptible. It does taste good though. I like lemons and I do drink soda. A weak beer malt does peek through though. Which again does show this is an adult beverage. The base beer, if I had to guess, isn't much different than any macro. I bet that's by design. I also get a bit of grain.

Pretty drinkable but perhaps too sweet for more than one.

4.75/5  rDev +36.9%

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

2.51/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass. 2013 vintage, did not note the date.

Aroma was lemony but not overly fresh, some faint malt in the background. Nothing overly enticing here.

Appearance - slightly cloudy golden cooler, a few bubbles but no real head. Some small bubbles appeared throughout the consumption.

Taste - very sweet, some lemon up front, a little acidity, but mostly sweet. The malt character wasn't really present either.

Mouthfeel - cloying sweetness and definitely coating. Bordering on syrupy. To me, lacking in carbonation. A strange aftertaste that is not bitter or citrusy - almost an oily character.

For me, this was a weak offering from Hoppin' Frog. I look for this style to be refreshing and lively, but this one was overly sweet and dead heavy. It didn't have the lemonade brightness I was looking for and the brew behind the flavor lacked character.

3.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Purchased from Hoppin' Frog brewery on the day they were bottling Turbo Shady. Poured about 2 hours later. Almost impossible to have any fresher.

A - Light golden, slightly hazy, zero head, zero lacing, constant carbonation rising.

S - Lemonade, sugar, lots of citrus, lightly barley, light malt

T - lemon, sweet red wine, wheat, lots of citrus, light malt

M - med body, froth level is low, descent amount of carbonation

O - Good summer drink. Yes, technically its a 'beer' but this is really sweet - almost too sweet. Frothiness isn't there. I wouldnt say its on the level of Mike's Hard Lemonade tho. If your not on a boat in the summer warmth- I might avoid this.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

3.12/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

REVIEW

Style: Fruit beer, shandy

ABV: 7%

Purchased at: Woodman’s Market; Madison, WI.

Pour: Blonde pour with a medium white head.

Aroma: Lemon fruit scent, maybe some yeast notes as well.

Flavor: The sweet lemonade is there. I described it as very close to drinking a Squirt soda.

Ratebeer.com rating: 39/100

Beeradvocate.com rating: 79/100

Overall: C+

My recommendation: A hot day, this works well. The only drawback for me, not enough beer flavor and too sweet. A good 22 oz bottle to share with somebody.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%