1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale Oatmeal Imperial Stout
4.18/5
Exceptional

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

12 oz (!) bottle @ home. I love it that I don't have to finish a bomber by myself anymore. Jet black colour. Brown head with little retention. Aroma's of coffee, mocha, dark chocolate, some red fruit, umami. Retronasal there's quite a bit of fruit, light alcohol/booze, roasted malts. Flavour is moderate sweet, roasted, dark chocolate. Alcohol feel is not too strong or burning. Medium bodied. Long finish with firm roast, moderate bitter. Good stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.22/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Opaque dark brown body; lush, thick and frothy head; evidence of foamy stickiness on the inside of the glass. Roasted grain and soft brown sugar aroma; a trace of booziness. Heavy cocoa flavor with an edge of whiskey. Heavy and hearty mouthfeel; rich and chewy with residual sugar heft; primarily sweet overall (but not intense and cloying); some boozy warmth and heat.

Classic Frog B.O.R.I.S. offering, rich and luxurious on many fronts. Chewy and delightful RIS, hearty and soul-satisfying.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

These past few have been good days for me to delve into my stash of RISs & see what's what in Whoville. Ooh, looky here! Another of my many purchases from the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop (FGBS). This'll work!

From the Bottle: "Fortunate is he who, in the name of brewing and good beer, shepherds the weak through the valley of macrobrews. For he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost taste buds. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my beer. AND YOU WILL KNOW MY NAME IS B.O.R.I.S. WHEN I LAY MY FLAVORS UPON YOU."; "In today's fast-paced world, it's often difficult to find the quality that discriminating people deserve. For those who search for this long lost, undying commitment to the very best, let it be known that one beer will not be compromised - Hoppin' Frog!"; "They call it 'Royale with Wood'"; "60 IBU".

I'm not really drinking this one in search of its IBUs, but fair dinkum. I Pop!ped the cap & began a C-Line pour, only to be taken aback as it really foamed up & then started a pseudo-cascade, settling into two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head with moderate retention. It suddenly exhaled & fell away to wisps, leaving only minor lacing in its wake. I could smell the booziness from the whiskey from across the room! Phew! Mouthfeel was as though a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue! Enough with the exclamation points! The taste was at once dark chocolate, fudge brownies, light charcoal smoke and a dram of Irish (not Scotch) whiskey. It wasn't THAT smoky. I remember a liquor & liqueuer-filled boxof chocolates that I bought for an Irish mavourneen on Valentine's Day. She really dug them, but one of them tasted a LOT like this. Chocolate-enrobed whiskey. Phew! This was enough to make my head begin to swim. Finish was hot, dry & boozy, no playin' around. I feel like I may have gotten a bargain.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have enjoyed a few of these beers from Hoppin' Frog. The make delicious dark beers. The beer is 50 degrees and served in tulip glass. When I poured the beer, I could see how thick it was. The pour on the beer yielded a one finger head that is dark brown. The head is creamy and billowy. The retention of the head is fair, considering the high alcohol content. The head left no lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is SRM 36 a dark brown nearly black beer. The beer is opaque.

The initial aroma in the beers is dark roasted malts, whiskey, and char. Next, I smell, molasses, burnt sugar, chocolate, dark roasted coffee, wood, smokiness, anise, earth, toffee, raisins, bread, floral, grass, cereal, oats, and grapefruit.

The flavors in the beer are alcohol, dark roasted malts, whiskey, char, Maillard, bread, raisins, cereal, oats, molasses, burnt sugar, toffee, caramel, oats, dark chocolate, medium roast coffee, floral esters, smokiness, fire, anise, earthy, wood, whiskey, grass, and resin.

The mouthfeel of the beer is chewy and silky.

The body of the beer is full, low carbonation, and full finish.

This beer is a monster. The beer has a chewiness yet silky mouthfeel that gives the beer serious body. It reminds me of the Grand Reserve beer I drank, but this has much more barrel age notes. Impressive beer a must try.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ooompah! What a brew! This fine imperial pours a sturdy brownish black
with a moderate head of tan foam that settles to a thin ring with light
sudsy lacing. Nose of fudge, coffee, light char, whiskey, vanilla, and
subtle oak. Flavors follow the nose with aplomb. Dark chocolate fudge
dances about a layer of rich brown sugar sweet whiskey with hints of
vanilla and touches of oak over a bed of lightly bitter coffee and char
with subtle touches of marshmallow creme and wafts of dark fruits.
Excellent mouth feel; full body, smooth, rich, warming, low carbonation,
and a rich cocoa and whiskey finish.

Another excellent offering from an excellent brewery!

Cheers

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle from Sherlock’s (Marietta, GA). 15.99. No identifiable bottling date. Served in a Barrel and Barley teku. Enjoyed 12/11/18.

Pours oil black with a generous khaki head. The foam takes a while to fade but once it’s gone there is no remaining retention.

Smells of sweet whiskey glaze, cocoa, an earthy woodsy vanilla, some barrel char and over cooked caramel. While the aroma is quite nice it seems somehow shrouded or subdued.

The flavors are rich and robust. Burnt fudge, cooked caramel, whiskey, wet charred wood, toast, dark roast coffee and a cooling nip of alcohol.

Velvety, smooth full body with gently fizzing carbonation. Bittersweet aftertaste with notes of whiskey-soused burnt fudge.

Hoppin’ Frog has once again tweaked their benchmark RIS. Barrel Aged BORIS Royale is a solid barrel aged stout. It’s a tough value proposition but a tasty brew.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2017 edition poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter
A: Pitch black, thin head
S: Cocoa, coffee, vanilla, caramel, bourbon
T: Brownie, vanilla, bourbon, not quite as complex as the nose but plenty tasty
M: Full-bodied, smooth
O: Very good barred aged stout as is to be expected from Hoppin’ Frog just not quite the best I’ve had from them

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

"Royale with wood" Man I can't pass that up.
Pours thick and rich. Black like oil with a rather small dark tan head that settles out into a ring rather quickly.
Aroma is not as rich as I'd expect and holds only faint markers of anticipation of wood and bourbon. Get some rich malt of the RIS but for style it's amazingly light.
Flavor comes through much better. I like the balance of the wood and bourbon although it may to too light for some. It's a much more balanced approach with a blending of what feels like a fairly young RIS. Still holds a bit of a sharp malt bite. More dark fruit and roast is held back. Rich roast drying on the finish with a richness moving towards sweetness. Hops are blended but there if you seek them out. They don't cut the bite much but add some depth. As it warms a little bit of vanilla sneaks in with the latent bourbon.
This is bigger than moderate and quite smooth.
I'll admit to some disappointment on this, Boris was one of the early RIS holding envy for those in search of when I started all of this some 18 or so years ago. Obviously there are many RIS worthwhile now and so much more, so I desired to give it a go. Glad I did.
Still a perfectly fine beer. Wood and whiskey should probably be amped up some, but enjoyable nonetheless.
This also my first 2000th review. I had a couple of other options, but I've moved to just reviewing worthwhile beers since I'm at this point and stumbled onto this one as next one. Mostly likely few mediocre beers from now on, unless it's not anticipated to be so. Also a lot more beers that won't be reviewed. 2000 is enough to say I've accomplished my original goal of learning about beer and beer flavors. It been a wonderfully long strange trip and now moving on to other pursuits.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look is stellar and smell bad me hooked. Taste is solid with roast and dark chocolate but the barrel aging tastes more like moonshine than whiskey. It's got an ethanol taste that is similar to vodka that just doesnt mesh. Feel falls short and is thin.

Overall still the best hoppin frog ive had to date. But I still stand by they're overpriced for mediocre beer and it's why you see every offering on every shelf in ohio.

The last time I bought a hoppin frog was maybe 3 years ago for the above reason. This beer gives a LITTLE redemption compared to what I've had in the past. I'll likely pick up a toris in the next few months. If it doesnt wow me I'll probably pass on them from now on in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Jet black with a somewhat short lived head. Pretty standard for the style. Lovely roast, bourbon, burnt molasses, licorice and tobacco aromas. Intense roast continues on the palate imparting earthy, tobacco tones. Aggressive herbal, earthy hops compliment very well. Bourbon is subtle and tends to soothe the palate in the finish and add a touch of sweetness. Dense, full body with a slightly grainy texture. Solid carbonation for the style. Overall and excellent barrel aged expression of the classic RIP.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very thick and viscous, pitch black and impervious to light, nice foam head. Very big aromas of chocolate malt and delicious bourbon barrel, dark coffee. Rich and creamy, full bodied, very flavorful. Lots of chocolate and coffee, bourbon barrel comes through very nicely, dark brown sugar as well. This is surprisingly thick and chewy for such a low abv... but not surprising since it is a Hoppin Frog beer. Overall this is a fine example of the style. Not overly sweet (like BCBS), fairly dry finish, slightly boozy. LOVE the 12 oz bottle format. Amazing beer considering the 9.4%abv.

8/26/18
12 oz bottle
4.5 rating

3.97/5  rDev -5%

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I always equate every BA stout I try to BCBS, which was my first foray into BA stouts, a foray that took me 90 minutes to finish a 12 oz bottle back in 2012. Note: I don’t like bourbon or whiskey as a stand-alone drink. At all. But that first BCBS, besides lighting me up, also changed my worldview.

So on to Boris Royale. The BCBS verbiage was provided because, while this is significantly lower ABV that BCBS, it has that heft, that chewiness that I still love about BCBS.

The pour is black, with a little t of leakage to brown on the edges. The nose has loads of stone fruit and char notes, and the barrel is very forward - maybe a bit too forward.

The taste has the stone fruit and char, but the barrel pulls forward the rich toffee notes, giving this a depth that is a bit surprising at 9.4% ABV. There’s a noticeable alcohol burn, but that just cinches the BCBS comparison knot. A really excellent BA stout, IMHO.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery