Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by jampics2 on 05-26-2011

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

pricey bottle, but hey I bought it. 16.99 from Nikki's. Into nonic glass.

A- Pour is not very lively. There's a thin layer of tan bubbles that settle out to the outer ring rather quickly.

S- The whiskey is pretty noticeable. Deep dark malts, very intoxicating aroma.

T- Lots of milk chocolate.. very sweet and creamy. Whiskey is smooth, not much peat, a lot of caramel/toffee, alcohol heat is welcomed because the beer is so tasty.

M- This beer is incredibly velvety and soft on the tongue. As soon as I take a sip I want to take another.

O- Smooth, tasty beer. Very nice coming-together of flavors. Warming but oh-so enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, no bottle date but I got this on the first release back in May of this year. Pours thick black color with a small dark tan head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lasts. Small bits of lacing clinging to the glass as well. Aromas of big vanilla, caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and whiskey. Great aromas here with good balance and strength. Not as bourbon forward as the normal BA BORIS. Taste of big dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, roasted malt, vanilla, oak, and whiskey. Fair amount of bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, caramel, vanilla, whiskey, and oak on the finish for a while. Low-moderate carbonation and full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with only a large warming present after the finish. Alcohol definitely cleans the palate in this case and makes this not cloying at all with the lush body. Great drinkability but it is still a sipper. Overall this is a fantastic barrel aged imperial stout. Great balance of flavor, highly enjoyable, and a lush mouthfeel that has me wanting another sip.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours black without much of a head. Smell is toasted caramel with some bourbony vanilla. Taste opens up with caramel malts. These are mixed nicely together with some vanilla from the barrel aging. These fade to a bit of coffee through middle and toward the back. Bourbon shows up on the end and finishes it nicely. This is good, but not as good as expected. Worth a shot for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Enjoyed in celebration of the St. Ignatius Wildcats’ 5th soccer state title in 8 years, and 3rd in the last 4.

Poured from 22oz. bomber into 11oz. GLBC snifter.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with almost no head or lacing after a fairly gentle pour. Little lacing that there is has a mocha color. Virtually no sign of carbonation on the glass. My snifter looks like a black hole. NB., on the pour for the second half of the bottle, a nice thin mocha tan head sits atop the brew and retains for the majority of the drink. 4.25/5

Smell: First thing I notice is whiskey and a smoked presence. Quite woody, almost fireplace smelling. Chocolates and coffees of the stout emerge on later sniffs. 4.25/5

Taste: Starts off with the woody whiskey notes mixed beautifully with chocolate and strong coffee tones. Taste progresses to more smoky and woody, leaving a predominantly coffee-whiskey aftertaste. The woodiness of the beer is definitely more pronounced than in other beers I’ve had. A fruit of aging in whiskey rather than bourbon barrels, perhaps. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick, syrupy, though not overly sticky. Low carbonation and bitterness makes the mouthfeel fine and dandy. Quite drinkable. 4.5/5

Overall: A very interesting variation on a increasingly common style of beer. Finishing this one bottle is not a problem in any case. A high ABV will keep me from indulging in more of it, however. Scrumptious. 4.5/5

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Live Review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at World Wines & LIquor a few weeks ago into a clean, clear pint glass. I recall the price being $12.99 but it might have been as high as $14.99. No observed “best by” date but a silver sticker with “Cleveland Beer Week Special Release” printed on it indicates that it is probably about a month old. That means that it likely has about another 5 years (or more) on it.

A Actually dark brown (!) head over an absolutely oil black body that refuses to allow any light through. I have to give this look high marks. I simply love it! 4.5

S Well, some of the darkest roast malt with whiskey notes. I expected that but I have always appreciated B.O.R.I.S.’s soft, rounded edges to the smell, taste and it looks like I will not be disappointed here. 4.5

T Simply love the taste of the dark roast malt, whiskey caramel notes and again, the smoothness that is not common in this style. This is a great, great beer that I cannot think of how I would improve it. 5.0

M Smooth as could be expected for such a big beer with the elevated ABV %. Really, it slips past your mouth so easily. I cannot think of how I might improve the feel and maintain the taste. 5.0

D/O Drinkability is where the beer suffers a bit since it is so huge, such elevated ABV but it really was soooo easy to drink, believe me! Overall this is a world class beer in my opinion. 4.0

Notes: I am proud to assign an A+ to this beer. Recommended to anyone reading this review!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in an person trade at the FFF 15th Party from Misterhops.

A: Wonderful, deep, dark brown. Mocha colored head.

S: Wonderful whiskey and chocolate notes.

T: Immediate taste of Crown Royal. The barrel aging did this one wonders. Then chocolate, toffee and coffee.

M: The whiskey makes this a little thin. The one detractor.

O: Easily the best BORIS! Love it.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery