Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hopped-Up Goose Juice | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: American IPA

American hops dominate this Rye I.P.A, creating an assertive citrus and passion fruit character. An old-world flavor from rye malt adds the perfect compliment to Goose Juiceā€™s big, satisfying hop flavor and aroma. Originally home-brewed by our beloved brewer Goose, its wonderful combination of flavors inspired us to brew this specialty I.P.A.

Added by Greencoat on 06-15-2012

1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

2.19/5  rDev -42.4%

As an IPA, it's just ok. The amount of sediment in the non-dated bomber I had was abnormally high. Like a glass of orange juice with pulp. The head on this brew was like the foam at a DIY carwash and never went away. The flavor was not really good enough to get past the feel. So many great beers in this world right now. I recommend taking a pass on this one.

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Picked this up at the brewery during my stop over for the BA Naked Evil release...

A: Pours a nice orange with hues of reds around the edges. There is about one full finger of tan head that takes a while to settle. Some lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer smells like light citrus, onion, garlic, sweet malt, and added spice. It doesn't smell good, but it's not terrible.

T: Onions, garlic, lemons, and turpentine. It's nasty. It reminds me of Founders Devil Dancer, and I hated that beer.

M: Medium bodied beer. It hits hard and lingers forever. The Onion and sweet combine into a terrible funk that I just hate.

O: Terrible beer. I had three sips just to make sure before I poured the rest of the bomber down the drain. Never again.

2.87/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On tap in a 12oz glass at Studio 35 on 9/22/12

A) Hazy, sunset amber color with pineapple juice highlights at the base. Thin head with a smooth layer on top. Impressive, solid lace.

S) The aroma has a lot of orange and some soapy hops. Hints of pine. It is matched with toasty rye bread.

T) Ooh, this is chock full of aspirin bitterness which masks orange and pine hops. Toasted, dry rye with a decent bready finish.

M) Medium body with hop prickliness and zesty carbonation. It becomes a bit slick with warmth but finishes dry over time.

D) Not the best. The rye becomes more prominent over time, but on the whole it is dicey.

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Very hazy copper color, with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles visible under a ring-like eggshell white head.

S: Some hop aroma, but fairly subdued. It has a faint scent of pine and cat. Not a whole lot going on.

T: At first some of the pine-like hop character comes through, then it fades quickly leaving some bitterness and a light rustic bread flavor in the aftertaste. Not that bitter though.

M: The first impression I get from the mouthfeel is how wet it feels. It is medium bodied, and lightly carbonated. I would have liked it to be a bit drier, with more carbonation.

O: Overall the beer was pretty good, but nothing really stood out. The rye seemed to come through in the aftertaste, but the IPA portion of the beer seemed to be lacking a bit. It could have used a boost to flavor and bitterness. I did enjoy drinking it, but it felt very average.

3.2/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

Dear Hoppin' Frog,

Stick to stouts.

Oooh, did I just say that? Yeeeaaaah. So it's not my favorite IPA. It's not my favorite rye IPA.

I get a little excited about the style. Naturally I got little excited about this beer. My excitement was short lived.

It's... uhhhh... bitter. Hoppy? Some rye?... maybe? Sort of medicinal.

I love you Hoppin' Frog, but aside from the pretty color... this one's a no-go from now on.

Hopped-Up Goose Juice from Hoppin' Frog Brewery