Hopped-Up Goose Juice | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: American IPA

American hops dominate this Rye I.P.A, creating an assertive citrus and passion fruit character. An old-world flavor from rye malt adds the perfect compliment to Goose Juiceā€™s big, satisfying hop flavor and aroma. Originally home-brewed by our beloved brewer Goose, its wonderful combination of flavors inspired us to brew this specialty I.P.A.

Added by Greencoat on 06-15-2012

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this at the Blue dog and it was an excellent choice on my part.
Came in a stemed tulip with a firm moderate head. Orange amber in color with some haze.
Aroma was fresh citrusy hops.
In the taste everything worked well bold citrusy maybe even a bit dank hops. Sweet malts and sutle hints of rye which i didn't even notice until I was nearly finished.
Drank smooth with a dry semi bitter finish.
Very good I enjoyed it immensely.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bomber poured into a Burley Oak snifter

I didn't realize that this was a year old IPA, since I was in FL and pretty much picking up anything outside my distro like Hoppin' Frog and CCB, and I didn't check this one out first.

A: Nice solid copper color with a swell head that leaves decent lacing.

S: Rye all the way with a bit of pine.

T: Rye, again. It is a nice melding of rye and pine, the rye comes on first followed by the classic IPA pines with just a single note of citrus that you have to pay attention to catch.

M: Quite crisp and coarse, even throughout. Prickly.

O: This probably would have been much better fresh with more citrus notes, but maybe not since I have found that rye is quite good at masking hop flavors. Anyways, it would have tasted different, but even only at 7% and a year later this is still quite good, probably because the rye flavor is so strong and potent, which holds up well over time.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a hazy, dirty grapefruit color with a light tan head. Little lace but good retention.
Smell is hops, rye, malt and floral notes. Better balance than I expected.
Taste is hops, floral, rye, a light citrus and grass. Good balance here.
Light effervescence, smoother than I thought it would be. Clean with a dry finish. Very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in a DFH globe.

A: Poured an extremely murky orange/amber color with tons of little yeasties floating around. The head was about 1/2 finger or so.

S: Almost smelled like an American Barleywine (ala Bigfoot). Intense pine center with sort of a caramel undertow. Potent stuff!

T: Odd. It didn't quite have the hop sting that I was expecting and it had kind of a soapy quality that wasn't pleasant. Tons of rye and no real hop bite on the end.

M: The prickle is fine, but the rye, pine sap bitterness was somewhat off-putting. Splotchy lacing.

O: While this wasn't without its merits, I didn't really care for this overall. Actually, I don't think I've liked any of Hoppin' Frog's IPAs.

3.42/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$9.99 for a 22 oz bottle. Brewer does NOT use freshness dating. A healthy pour into a chalice.

I know this is an American IPA, but the combination of the spicey rye and the hopped up bitterness is too much for me. It does not have to be an evenly balanced beer, but I believe some more sweetness would provide a little contrast and make this a much more drinkable beer. An average beer. Not bad, but one that I will probably pass by in the future considering the availability of so many above average beers. Maybe a candidate for a future re-review.

A - Pours a clear amber, with a 2-finger off-white dense head, well carbonated, good head retention and good lacing.

S - Resinous hoppy notes with a slight malty sweetness.

T - Carmel and spice. Very bitter in the finish (back of the tongue).

MF - Light to medium bodied, creamy with a sharp finish.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%