Hopped-Up Goose Juice | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: American IPA

American hops dominate this Rye I.P.A, creating an assertive citrus and passion fruit character. An old-world flavor from rye malt adds the perfect compliment to Goose Juice’s big, satisfying hop flavor and aroma. Originally home-brewed by our beloved brewer Goose, its wonderful combination of flavors inspired us to brew this specialty I.P.A.

Added by Greencoat on 06-15-2012

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A: This poured a hazy copper with some off white head.
S: It smelled like copper and spicy rye, with some sweet caramel and earthy pine hops.
T: It tasted like bitter resin and copper and spicy rye, with some sweet caramel and earthy biscuit. It had a clean bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick with a little carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a nice rye IPA with well balanced scent and taste. Not as bold as expected, but it had a very smooth finish, so it was really easy to drink. Good body and well hidden alcohol too. Not mind blowing, but enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

No, I didn’t get a case of Westvleteren XII, but I did snag this limited-issue, better-than-expected Rye IPA from Akron.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: The kind of beer you want to drink. The kind of beer you need to drink. Orange and mellow maroon with a deceptively medium body that from some angles boasts a jelloy consistency. I wish there was more to the head that fizzles quickly as the carbonation, what there is of it, races to the top.

NOSE: Stinky cheese, heavy rye, dog park, and pent-up pine. A more sophisticated Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

MOUTH: It might be the mood I’m in. I don’t miss the hops, even though I was promised – indeed, induced by – an aggressive dose. It’s smooth, earthy, smooth. And I think I’m starting to fall for All Things Rye. There’s more here of course: grass, chives, and balance. The texture, among other things, will bring me back, somewhere in the fine line between wholesome and chewy. Excellent.

Beeradvocate Rating: 85

ratebeer Rating: 98

Hayward Abbey Rating: 91

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

A: Very hazy copper color, with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles visible under a ring-like eggshell white head.

S: Some hop aroma, but fairly subdued. It has a faint scent of pine and cat. Not a whole lot going on.

T: At first some of the pine-like hop character comes through, then it fades quickly leaving some bitterness and a light rustic bread flavor in the aftertaste. Not that bitter though.

M: The first impression I get from the mouthfeel is how wet it feels. It is medium bodied, and lightly carbonated. I would have liked it to be a bit drier, with more carbonation.

O: Overall the beer was pretty good, but nothing really stood out. The rye seemed to come through in the aftertaste, but the IPA portion of the beer seemed to be lacking a bit. It could have used a boost to flavor and bitterness. I did enjoy drinking it, but it felt very average.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Bomber into Ale Glass

A-Nice copper/amber color. Very well clarified. Thin pinky width white head. Moderate lacing going on. Head quickly dissipated and left a ring around the rim of the glass.

S-Hops are defiantly at the fore front of this brew. Citrus right up front and throughout the nose. Cutting through the citrus hops is a vanilla esque malt profile. Weird I am getting vanilla but it all fits well and is extremely inviting.

T-Hops are defiantly throughout the whole palate. Finishes with a astringent/bitterness. Not getting as much citrus as I did in the nose. Breaking through the hops is the slight spiciness you get from the rye I believe.

M-Great mouthfeel. Creamy and well carbonated.

O-If the taste was as good as the aroma this could have easily been one of my favorite RIPA's. I love my hops but to bitter throughout the whole palate. I would defiantly drink it again if I ever get the chance to drink it on draft. Good, could be Great!

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

I just got back from a homebrewing class, so I’m feeling very appreciative of craft breweries – now that I have a little more insight about the brewing process, I’m beginning to realize how much thought goes into each beer I taste.

A: Tawny amber with a slight haze and a thick head of chunky tan cream. Leaves intricate lacing and a thin layer of smooth retention.

S: Big herbal hop character, providing a light, funky mustiness of old pine and dried lemon with grassy overtones. Rye gives nice balance, too: a blend of biscuit, dark spice, and wheat bread. A natural, aromatic nose.

T: Bold, spicy hops complement a full rye profile. A moderate bitterness characterized by spicy pine, grassy herbs, and mild passion fruit citrus blankets over a bed of bread and spice; notes of nutty grain and sweet, chewy granola linger along the sides of the tongue. Everything rolls over the palate with an earthy character. Aftertaste is citrusy, a bright end to a relatively dark beer.

M: Just the right fullness, just the right crispness – near-perfect IPA refreshment. Carbonation is fairly smooth for the style.

O: A benchmark for RyePAs: nice rye crispness, balanced American hoppiness, and a texture that’s rich and satisfying. You’d be hard-pressed to find something this enjoyable that’s truly within style. I love Hoppin’ Frog.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%

Fantastic rye pale ale, the best new IPA I've had in a while. I love the hop profile here, particularly in the aroma- juicyfruit gum and a nice hit of lime, and in the flavor more of the same with some lush tropical fruit as well. The rye underlies it all with a dry spiciness that really brings the beer together. Excellent beer.

Hopped-Up Goose Juice from Hoppin' Frog Brewery