Hopped-Up Goose Juice | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: American IPA

American hops dominate this Rye I.P.A, creating an assertive citrus and passion fruit character. An old-world flavor from rye malt adds the perfect compliment to Goose Juiceā€™s big, satisfying hop flavor and aroma. Originally home-brewed by our beloved brewer Goose, its wonderful combination of flavors inspired us to brew this specialty I.P.A.

Added by Greencoat on 06-15-2012

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: dark thickly clouded amber ale with a solid few fingers of foam above

S: muted citrus amid the dry rye spice; some suggestions of dank herb

T: rustic and rugged rye, edged with spice, matched to the dark pith of a pale citrus fruit; presents some earthy and muted "brown" flavors, with a watery brown sugar sweetness

M: medium-light body, some tickle of spice and carbonation, mellow bitterness

O: nothing I'm particularly fond of, nothing that I didn't like. a decent entry into the field. Perhaps fans of rye ales and IPAs, and the mellower, darker IPAs would like this more than me.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Was expecting a over-the-top hop blast given the name. But turns out to be a very well-balanced IPA. Tons of sweet malt to go with piney/citrus hop flavor and aroma. Didn't get the anticipated spice from the rye though. Overall a very nice IPA. Would drink again and recommend highly. If you are expecting tons of hop bitterness you will be disappointed.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I wish I had the beer infront of me so I could give the full description, but I'll give you my first impression. The name "Hopped-up Goose Juice", when I read it out loud I had to try it. Hell of a name for a beer, I love saying it. I didn't examine the color of the beer as I did with the smell and taste. Smell was absolutely amazing, reminded me of some"stankey danke dank"(marijuana), smell was Subtle though, very sweet smell. The taste was great as well. I remember the taste being like having a mouthful of smoke after hitting a freshly packed bowl. Taste of it lasted through out and never lost its flavor. I suggest it to those who favor a more lighter tasting IPA. You can't go wrong with trying a mouthful of flavors, don't associate marijuana with it, it was just the first impression it had on me so get it, twist it and have a dab at it.

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Medium pour yields a foamy, root beer float-like head. Orange and hazy. Tiny bubbles continuously flow from the bottom of the pint glass.

Fruity aroma of light citrus and berries.

Mild bitterness up front. Follows with a citrus taste unique to IPAs, a lemon-lime crispness.

Expected more noticeable carbonation based on the appearance. Fairly smooth.

Overall a pretty good beer. Refreshing and drinkable. Not particularly complex, but tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

$9.99 at Giant Eagle
Bomber at 45 degrees into goblet
Aroma strongly citrus
Head average (3 cm), creamy, off-white, mostly diminishing
Lacing fair
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor begins lightly sweet, with the rye slightly overbalancing the hops (60 IBU). Rye spiceyness is evident throughout. No alcohol, no diacetyl tasted. Ends slightly sweet with no chalky astringency.
Palate medium, slightly oily, carbonation lively.

Overall, a nice interpretation of a hoppy rye ale, but not worth the 10 bucks.

Hopped-Up Goose Juice from Hoppin' Frog Brewery