Krušovice Cerne | Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.

good
Krušovice CerneKrušovice Cerne

Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.
Czech Republic
krusovice.cz

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by stoutman on 06-08-2003

4.88/5  rDev +38.2%

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this one in Czech. Very fresh and awesome! The beer has a full, sweet caramel taste and a light hop flavour. Light roasted and chocolatey aroma. Extremely dark brown/black colour, light brown head, good lace. Very full for a beer with just 3.8% alc. Long sweet and roasted coffee finish. Very good.

4.55/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.38/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice black body, although a little translucent, head is big and creamy, off white, and leaves a lot of lace.

Smell: Black pepper, roasted malts, light cocoa, grass. Smells quite nice.

Taste: Malty and slighty metallic, chocolate and malt. Very smooth and easy to drink, this is a good schwarzbier in body and flavor.

Drinkability: Much better than the imperial, a sessionable beer (low ABV and good flavor). If not for the price, it would be a regular.

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Krusovice Cerna has a very thick, foamy, beige head, a good amount of lacing left behind, and a clear, yet dark, ruby-brown appearance. The aroma is of dark-roasted malt, brown bread crust, sweetness, and even coffee. Taste is of the same, with just a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Krusovice Cerna finishes crisp, refreshing, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a delicious and tasty beer.

RJT

4.32/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have revisited this and found it to be a very good, light but subtly complex and characterful beer, a great session beer at 4.4% abv but with good character.

Very dark brown, essentially black but not quite, it has a medium-large tan head slowly shrinking to a wispy ring and leaving only weak hints of lace.

The aroma is roasty with hints of licorice, molasses cake, caramelised bread, chocolate, and prune. Its not strong but it's still full and very nice.

The taste is similar, dryish toasty overall with an engaging zesty-tingly licorice, mild very dark gingerbread, hints of prune, fermented fruit, chocolate. It has a finish of licorice, molasses gingerbread and hints of singed dry leaves and coffee bean. The molassesy gingerbread dominates the aftertaste and lingers. It has light bitterness in the finish. It's tasty and easily drinkable, clean and solid, light but characterful and engaging. The feel is lively.

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

Draught in Prague, called Krusovice Vycepni Tmavé on the menu, but must be the same beer. Black (= very dark brown) colour, large head. Lovely malty aroma with strong elements of leather and cigarbox. Pleasant flavour of roasted malts, some caramel but not too sweet, very well balanced with the hops. For the style freaks: This is a Schwarzbier IMO, not a dunkel - but who cares, as long as the beer tastes good? I’d think the ABV was stronger than it actually is - another evidence that flavour and strength are not necessarily the same thing. Great with food or on its own. A truly enjoyable beer. Rerate bottle: I just realised I had written separate notes of the BOTTLED beer named Krusovice Cerne - I could SWEAR it was a different beer from the draught Vycepni Tmave. Notes bottle: Deep reddish brown colour. Large tan head, moderate carbonation. Moderate malty aroma. Typical dunkel flavour with low bitterness. Relatively light bodied, refreshing. Overall 13/20.

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I had no idea when I ordered this beer today that it was so low in alcohol. I knew that black lagers weren't necessarily stronger than lighter lagers, but 3.8%? I really enjoyed this and now that I know I can have this for Breakfest (lol) I'm hooked. Great black color, very good malty test, very, very drinkable. A very difficult beer to sip slowly. I never had a german Schwarz as good as this. HIghly recommend.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

12/19/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC.

Schwarzbier is new to me so I wasn't sure what to expect. A few clicks & I found this on the BeerMenus brewers page: "Simmer for you genuine Czech beer – let our proper KRUŠOVICKÁ ten or twelve! They taste like the time".

To this point I thought CERN was all about particle colliders, but one lives & learns.

Worse off than I was, I stick my nose in the mug & get a definite wisp of smoked something or other...a particle perhaps.

Knowing I'm on my own as far as the tripping brewers are concerned (go to the Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Friinealkoholickepivo & see who's in charge) I'm getting worried. Instinct kicks in & I realize I'm actually in very safe hands.

This stuff has class. Hard to define but attractive nonetheless. Neither sweet nor bitter, polite body & ABV. They've been at it since 1581 (if you believe Wikiwhatsit) & I'd say they're on to something. Let's hope Heineken leaves well enough alone.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Krušovice Cerne from Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.