Hopus | Brasserie Lefèbvre SA

Added by Absumaster on 01-29-2009

Liked:
3.72/5
Alströms:

Belgian golden strong ale -brewed with 5 different hop varietals for complex flavor and refined body. Strong, bitter, blonde. The created for the brewers' wedding celebration. So tasty!

A Strong Bitter Blond with bulky foam. A round Bitter taste with a hop finisch. Made from 5 different european Hops, the result is a fabulous beer with a unique combination of bitterness and aroma. Served in a beautiful glass and a little yeast glass.

4.68/5  rDev +25.8%

4.54/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After reading some of the negative reviews for this brew, I realized that I have not had the same experience as any of them . . . and the only difference was that they had bottles and I had it on draft. I was not expecting much from this beer, I simply saw it on the beer menu at a restaurant and decided to give it a try and wow did I make a good decision. Poured with BIG head which did wonders to release the wonderful floral aroma of the beer. Upon first sip I was astounded as to how smooth it was. A juicy taste of citrus fruits and mostly lemon with maybe a hint of malt dominated the experience with a smooth bitter hop finish that dissipated faster than expected. Others have compared part of the taste to soap, and I can see where they are coming from but I do not believe soap is what they are tasting. My guess is that it is orange or lemon peel they are tasting. I Definitely not your typical IPA, but honestly it makes for an easy and enjoyable experience.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

05/01/13 At Rattle N Hum, NYC. On tap. As a huge Unibroue Fin du Monde fan I like this very much. Lacks the bready Unibroue yeast, but that just adds to the mystery. If it wasn't for the 8.3% ABV I could drink this all day in any season. Love it.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Great beer! Served with a big, foamy, frothy, fluffy, off white head that is long lasting and clumpy lace. Color was a clear, dark, gold amber. Nose is malt, grain, leather, yeast, sweat. Flavor has bitterness stand out and sweetness is almost gone to the point of dryness. Not much flavor or aroma hop. Malt flavor is subdued, but unmalted grain is there, plus grass. Body is good and so is carbonation. Finish is long and a little warm. I'd like another, please.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

This beer is now my official 'first beer of the day' when in Brugge and has been used in three different bars already (Bierboom, De Garre and 't Brugs Beertje).

This review is however from a home tasting, so I didn't have the benefit of the lovelly glass and the small hop sediment glass that goes with it. I poured most of my 33cl flip-top bottle into a Corsendonk glass and poured the remainder in later, once I'd finished the main contents.

A huge white head sat on top of a golden, yellow, clear, bright body.

The smell is of sweet flowers and summer, with hops added in everything.

The taste is all about spicey hops and uplifting your day, this beer is a great 'pick-me-up'.

Love it!

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Looks like almost a wheatbeer straw and cloudy wild white head. Semolina and white pepper aroma.

Bitter tasting with floral notes ethanol, hops are there with dulled sugars.

Nice mouthfeel good low carbonation, really a class and type of its own

a great beer all round.

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent belgian style IPA. A massive head reminescent of Duvel... Smells like bread with five varieties of hop. Drinkable yet relatively strong. Will buy this one again.

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Sample from the bottle at In De Groene Poort in Gooik, Belgium. Right down the street from De Cam. Sampled in the back garden.

A: clear, great head, yellow color
S: great nose, earthy but hoppy
T: earthy, yeast, great malt, great hops but not over the top
M: very nice

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%

Have just returned from my latest trip to Brussels from the U.K. where I came across "Hopus" in one of my very favourite Belgian bars ... "Poechenellekelder"

It must be hard to introduce a new beer in such a richly stocked market place as Belgium so hats off to "Hopus" for managing to make an impression! Firstly, I do not think this beer is claiming to be an IPA, but it does have 5 varieties of hops used in it's production. The bitterness is there for sure but not pronounced. (I would put it in the Strong Belgian Pale Ale category)

Pours into an elegant elongated Duvel type tulip but Hopus has another glass, a shot glass, into which the last
25ml or so of beer is poured after a vigorous shake of the Grolsch flip type bottle. This gives you a different experience to the main beer via a cloudy sweet yeasty apperitif. It's what a lot of people do with the last of a Trappist Orval pour , but this is the first time I've seen a beer served with an extra glass for the lees!

Hopus itself has a huge foaming head similar to the mighty Duvel, and tastes like a cross between a Duvel and an IPA. It is refreshing and moorish and I don't really see the lager connection another reviewer alludes to?
It is better than that IMHO.
I will be interested to see how this beer fares. I brought a bottle home with some Westvleteren Blonde & Abt 12 as travel companions :o)

Immensely drinkable despite it's 8.3%.

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hopus from Brasserie Lefèbvre SA