Bavaria Dark Beer

Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 69 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by dbl_delta:
dbl_delta from Pennsylvania

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow, fizzy beer that mighta had dark food coloring added to it. Other than the fact that it's kinda dark, it really isn't much different than Cerveceria CR's other offerings. Meh.

Feb 21, 2015
wyocoalminer from Wyoming

3.9/5  rDev +26.2%

Very limited selections in Costa Rica allowed me to down everything I could find. Considering what is around, I found this beer very good. The largest macro beer in the country is very disappointing. The feel of this beer is somewhat thin but I liked the Bock feel that it had. If your going to Costa Rica try this one last and you will really appreciate it.

Mar 31, 2008
GodOfBeer from Canada (ON)

3.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Most likely the best beer produced in Costa Rica. Beats the hell out of Imperial and any other local beer you can find.

Don't really remember the details of this beer as I mostly drank it out of the bottle on the beach.

From what I gather it was a dark brown with a thick white head, some nice roasty maltyness and sweetness mixed in.

Highly recommended for sure if you're ever in the country!

Mar 28, 2014
ADR from Pennsylvania

2.87/5  rDev -7.1%

Clear and deeper brown, but not opaque. Head is impressive at first but settles into a big-bubbled fading cap at 50 seconds. Mostly a caramel aroma with a little sulfur whiff. Flavor is malt sweet, not easy to characterize, with a hop bite early. Lighter mouthfeel than implied by the color. What little hop there is is far superior to the malt. A little raisiny wateriness as the beer proceeds past the tongue. I'm sure its drinkable in the heat but where's the beef? Mucho thanks to my bud Dave Szy. for getting the bottle past 4 airport inspections on his way back from the island.

Jul 31, 2002
Suds from Missouri

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%

This was a gift from a friend who spent a few months in Costa Rica.
Pours with a thick, soft, very sticky head. The head retention is simply amazing. Extroridnary carbonation. No much in the smell...slightly grainy maltiness. Mildly chewy malt sweetness up front. Medium body. Overall, it's a sligthly better than average Dunkel. On the downside, there's a medicinal, slightly solvent-like off-flavor.

Oct 04, 2003
Redrover from Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

16 oz can no freshness date.

Beer pours a nice light brown with a large head (chemicals?). Not much lacing.
The smell contains some malts and adjuncts.

This was the best tasting beer I had in Costa Rica, but thats not saying much. Don't travel there for the beer, go to this country for the great beaches, rain forests, friendly people, etc.

Beer is on the sweeter side with the malt out muscling the hops. Adjuncts clearly present. I would have like to to tried on tap or from a bottle to see if the metallic taste I experienced was only there because of the can.

The drinkability is not bad and you won't have many better alternatives while visiting. I only found this beer in the capital of San Jose and could not find it again once I went into the remote areas.

Apr 01, 2003
SeanChouffe from New Mexico

2.89/5  rDev -6.5%

Copper color with fine co2 and a beige rocky head -- retention is better than expected Aroma is malty, with a notable skunk presence (sulfur?). Flavor is sweet and lightly malty, with a metallic finish. Drinkable, crisp mouthfeel.
No earthshaking experience, but an interesting rendition of a dunkle. The aroma is a little unsettling, but overall, fairly well balanced. Bavaria Dark was the most drinkable beer I tied in Costa Rica.

Apr 02, 2005
ybnorml from Rhode Island

2.65/5  rDev -14.2%

A clean very dark amber, nearly brown, beer with a small beige head. Has a light malty aroma with hints of molasses and chocolate. The flavor is an unexpected bready, biscuit, cookie kind of taste and mouthfeel with maybe the slightest hint of chocolate on the finish. This is nothing like any German dark beers that I have had so far.

Nov 29, 2004
Phyl21ca from Canada (QC)

2.28/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottle: Poured a clear black color lager with a small bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of light sweet notes with not much else noticeable. Taste is also a balanced mix between light sweet undertones and a watery finish. Body is OK for style with medium carbonation. I have a feeling this is the regular lager with some kind of colouring agent thrown in there.

Dec 31, 2010
Beertracker from Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev +7.8%

Cerveceria's Bavaria (Dark Beer) pours up with a decent effervescance that creates a smallish tannish-white head that manages to ring the glass above the clear reddish brown body. Head retention is average at best! The aroma is rather lacking for such a dark beer with modest hints of caramel & roasted black malted barley, but otherwise very clean with a touch of pear like fruitiness. The flavor is fairly straight forward not unlike other mass marketed dark lagers that I've had, as there's good balance between the bitterness, graininess & roastiness that creates a fairly even, crisp drying finish that's neither distinct or offending. Medium-light bodied that's a bit thin, but not watery. Quite crisp for a dark lager. This really isn't a bad little beer especially considering where it's brewed e.g. tropical climate where there aren't many "dark" options. It doesn't remind me of Bavaria, but I'd drink another if I found myself stranded in Costa Rica.

CHEERS! Beertracker

Jan 30, 2012
teamizm from California

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Pretty much all I drank while in Costa Rica. I preferred this to Imperial by leaps and bounds. Decent beer, light enough to be enjoyable in the Costa Rican heat, but has enough flavor that you don't feel like you're drinking piss water. Reminded me of a watery New Castle. It's all they got in Costa Rica in terms of flavor, so it's definitely the best beer on Costa Rica.

Jan 26, 2009
TheEremite from California

3.82/5  rDev +23.6%

This is a good beer. It's somewhat malty and chocolaty, but remains light and refreshing. It's not overly sweet and not over done. It's a subtle and crisp. It could use a little more head retention, but it's a very nice beer. I'd be happy to have one on any occasion.

May 31, 2008
the_beerist from Massachusetts

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%

Costa Rica may be notorious for everything from zip-lining through the jungle to watching the Arenal volcano erupt nightly, but definitely not for their beer. That being said, I tried everything I could find in Costa Rica including undrinkables like Rock Ice limon to their national beer Cerveza Imperial, but this was by far the best offering.

Bavaria dark reminded me of Negro modello, just a bit drier. Definitely wouldn't call it a bock, but whatever, it goes down easy, has a nice crisp taste and is refreshing after a long day of sloth spotting.

Sep 04, 2008
jaluria from Connecticut

2.02/5  rDev -34.6%

With only a few beers sold in Costa Rica, I was willing to try just about every available beer. I came across a few cans of this stuff in a grocery store and decided to check it out; wish I hadn't. Just an awful beer (considering the style or not) that scared me straight.

It started with a semi-translucent, brown pour that left a soapy head. Aromas of astringent, vinegar, and spoiled fruit got my attention and not in a good way. The taste followed the smell with the addition of malt flavors that were not enjoyable or complex. Oily flavors came out as well and I had not idea what to make of it; seemed more like veg. oil than olive oil. Seemed like only one variety was used and it had passed its expiration years ago. Quite bitter in the finish with a sour taste left in the back of my throat. After a few sips, I couldn't bring myself to finish my glass, I had to give it away to my wife who had a few more sips before pouring it down the sink.

Mar 14, 2006
nekronos from Mexico

4.1/5  rDev +32.7%

Vey good, it surprised me when I drank it, it is a little sweet, ike a Bock, but strong like a Stout. Althoug a little lager, it does not mather it is a little dark, it was like a dark lager too. Perhaps, this is the best beer of the three Bavarias from this brewery.

Oct 13, 2005
wagenvolks from Texas

2.71/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz. can into a beer mug, served at "The Bat Cave" bar at La Mansion Inn, Costa Rica.

Pours a thin, yet dark, chocolate-mahogany color into the (frosted) mug. A small, light tan head recedes quickly thanks to the serving vessel, and leaves behind a wispy veil of foam. The aroma is unimpressive, with mostly adjuncts, cereal, and a hint of caramel malt showing up.

The flavor is fairly bland, but tries to taste like caramel and chocolate malts for a quick second before the finish takes over. Aftertaste is nearly non-existent, except for a metallic-grainy flavor that lingers a bit longer than necessary. Bavaria should take a cue from its more drinkable cousin, Imperial, and lose the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery and boring, with a decent carbonation level but not much else to write home about. Overall, a weak entry, but I suppose that's to be expected. Costa Rica deserves better beer!

Jan 06, 2009

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

Jan 12, 2012
PhiloPsych from California

3.36/5  rDev +8.7%

This was the best beer I had while in Costa Rica for a week-long trip. Bavaria comes in several styles: light, gold, and dark. I only tried the dark version. I also had a couple other Costa Rican beers: Imperial (the flagship beer for the brewery) and Pilsen (which seemed to be more widely liked than Imperial). Imperial was not good at all, Pilsen wasn't bad as a sessioner, and I really thought Bavaria Dark was a fine beer. I thought it was a rather pretty beer--ruddy brown in the glass and quite red if held up to a bright light (e.g., the sun). It reminded me of Negra Modelo, but I actually liked it better than I like Negra Modelo--and Negra Modelo is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants that don't have craft beer. So I would put Bavaria Dark above all the Mexican beers that are typically found in the US: Modelo, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Tecate, etc.

Bavaria Dark doesn't have much aroma to speak of. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with moderate carbonation. The taste is predominantly caramel, though it isn't overly sweet. I didn't get any off or funky flavor (Negra Modelo often seems to be slightly funky); and I didn't get any bad aftertaste either (unlike with most macro lagers). I liked it. In fact, having been home for a couple days, I'm sorting of craving one. I'll go get some Negra Modelo for comparison.

Jul 09, 2011
mwinnie from Michigan

3.46/5  rDev +12%

I've been to Costa Rica 3 times so far and just discovered the dark version of Bavaria this last trip. So far may favorite was the Gold. I liked the dark, but it is a little bit of a stretch to call it a Munich Dunkel. The malt profile isn't there. I drank quite a few cans of this over the course of a week, with a local grocery store as my source most of the time. I never had one with off flavors or that tasted old and stale. It always was fresh. It is light enough in body and flavor to drink all afternoon on the beach, but I think I still prefer the Gold.

Jul 26, 2006
GooberMcNutly from Florida

3.12/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

While it may be a Schwarzbier like beer, Bavaria Dark was a lot lighter and crisper. The label says that it only contains water, malts, cereals and yeast. I don’t know if they consider corn a cereal, but that is what the label says.

Pours beautifully in the glass and has a thick, light tan head that holds up if the glass is clean. But most CR food is either greasy or the glass is not 100% clean, so the head will usually fall pretty quickly.

I would say that it is the best looking beer in CR, but the flavor drops off before the beers potential is reached. Still not as good as a Negro Modelo.

Oct 03, 2006
charlzm from California

2.87/5  rDev -7.1%

Consumed February 24th, 2013. Poured from can into standard pint glass.

Beer looks like cola (very dark brown and clear) as it pours into glass. A two-finger off-white head forms and settled soon into the splotchiest, least-appealing crown I think I have ever seen on a beer.

Aromas - dark, juicy malts with overtones of nuts and candied fruits. An unfortunate metallic note kind of ruins it a bit.

Flavor - smooth and nutty with roasted notes. A touch of melanoidin. Not especially sweet or bitter. Easy to drink due to the relatively low flavor. Really, not much else going on there. If you've had a Negra Modelo, you know what to expect.

Mouthfeel - slightly smooth with a touch of creaminess. Finish is a little prickly due to carbonation.

Overall, drinkability is fine. A nice change from the light, fizzy yellow lagers that are apparently prevalent in Central America (and everywhere else, I guess), but nothing that's going to threaten to convert the masses or redefine the style.

Feb 25, 2013
JoeBloe from New York

3.31/5  rDev +7.1%

doesn't really taste like a 'dark' beer - sort of like i remember lowenbrau or beck's dark that were offered as premium beers at certain 'steakhouses' - but bavaria dark is better than the other local (and 'imported'(heineken/corona/tonga)) offerings in costa rica - easy drinking with a modicum of flavor to compliment a meal - ok stuff in it's world.

Feb 23, 2009
kellywilson50 from Costa Rica

2.09/5  rDev -32.4%

At first sight, when comparing the other national beers in Costa Rica, one might get excited and assume that finally Bavaria Dark will deliver on the much needed flavor front. Well we all know what happens when you assume. The brownish-mahogany color is enticing but after a deep inhale it's forgotten and the thought, "this is just another unimpressive mass produced lager" enters your mind. Taste is bland with a very slight hint of caramel and not much else. Mouthfeel is watery and from the Bavaria family this in my opinion is the weakest.

Mar 21, 2009