Imperial Eclipse Stout - Coconut

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Imperial Eclipse Stout - CoconutImperial Eclipse Stout - Coconut
Notes: Totality stout brewed with honey aged in whiskey barrels with coconut. Silver Wax.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 41 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
maximum12 from Minnesota

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

The rare bottle pulled from my basement with no known provenance. I have no idea where this came from. 22 oz. 2018 bottle, silver wax, “CC” identifier, split with my wife.

Black with a significant head which I do not recall on my many previous dark nights. The nose is boozy, woozy, strong roast & good sweetness.

Imperial Eclipse – Coconut has claws. Whiskey cleaves furrows down my throat & vapor trails up into my sinuses. Seriously boozy. Heavy hand with the honey adding to the body & sweetness. Char (do they flamethrow all of these barrels?) & roast & chocolate mixed in with a bit of high quality soy sauce. I could drink this by the liter.

Looking for an excuse not to score this in the stratosphere & I can’t locate one. I recall the old Eclipses as being smooth & this is as smooth as a gopher field. Excellent beer that touches fantastic.

Tuesday at 04:03 AM
hoptheology from South Dakota

3.98/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2018 edition, "CC" in the identifier box.
Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack snifter. Feeling pretty loose at this point.

Pours a dark mocha black with a tall beige head of 2 fingers, receding to a finger and leaving spotty lacing behind.

Aroma brings primarily caramel but with some really vigorous swirling I get the coconut/almond joy thing faintly. There's hints of dark chocolate in there. Definitely not a very strong nose.

Flavor brings caramel firstly and then samoa cookies second. Has a weird bitter chlorophyll finish. The bourbon is tucked neatly inside of these flavors and does not really make a presence even though you know it's there. Does peek out a little more once it warms up to hand temperature. Hints of bitter dark chocolate and perhaps some chocolate covered blueberry surface on the finish. It is decidedly sweet without really delving into complexity or focus.

Feel is slick with a thicker body than Basil Hayden, medium plus to heavy; some alcohol heat but pretty well hidden considering the ABV; the heat surfaces on the finish moreso and leaves a lingering buzzing behind.

Overall, another okay stout from FiftyFifty. I'd say this beer is definitely good, but there's no way in hell I'd pay another $25 for this sucker. I split it with my wife who likes sweet stouts. Like I said, general oversweetness but without complexity. The coconut is a footnote. I get a basic dirty imperial stout with a little bit of bourbon character and caramel/samoa. Being the first guy to rate this under a 4, I wonder if the coconut dream has faded from this bottle. To me this was a fair to decent barrel aged stout, but definitely not worth the price of admission. I purchased two bottles on the reviews alone. I personally think the Mocha Nut was the best one so far even though it exploded all over my bar.

Price paid : $25 / BOGO in Chatt
Would buy again : nah

Aug 31, 2020
lucius10 from California

4.44/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sweet chocolate-honey, hint of vanilla-coconut, and subtle hint of heat from the barrel aromatics on this one! Taste follows with some dark chocolate bitterness and hint of honey finish..the choco-bitterness lingers on the back of the throat for a while. This is soft on the palate, but actually a little thin initially. This improves drastically as it starts to warm. Good!

Mar 11, 2020
metter98 from New York

4.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beers is nearly jet black in color—only traces of dark red are visible near the edges of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that left a wide collar around the edge of the glass and some patches of bubbles covering the remainder of the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of coconuts are present in the nose along with hints of dark malts.
T: The taste has flavors of coconuts with notes of whiskey and hints of dark malts and vanilla.
M: It feels full-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The taste of this beer has a nice blend of coconut and whiskey flavors. Except for the latter, no alcohol is perceptible in the taste.

Aug 24, 2019
REVZEB from Illinois

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Incredible. Coconut, vanilla and honey form a trio that would brighten up any room. They do just that with this stout that is heavy, boozy and all things dark: molasses, chocolate, oak, chewy malt, and slight dark roast coffee. Together this stout is smooth, little sweet and boozy but balanced, and it is intense. Drink it fresh! Smell is a dream, all of the aromas taking turns in the spot light, with coconut being the biggest lead. Feel gets cut into a little, not as robust as other eclipses, but man is this one tasty

Apr 03, 2019
Thomas_Wikman from Texas

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my review for Eclipse Imperial Stout the Coconut Blend, ABV 11.90%. First let me express my doubts that this beer is retired as I just bought it in 2019, but I have no proof. Secondly I am surprised that such a delicious imperial stout has not gotten more attention. This was among the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had and I've had many.

Look: black with a half inch fluffy mocca colored head.

Aroma: roasted malts, chocolate, mild coffee

Flavor: Roasted malts, lots of coconut, a little bit of coffee and chocolate. It is very tasty with a wonderful flavor and it is very easy to drink too fast. I think it was incredible.

Feel: medium to full body and very drinkable

Feb 04, 2019
rodbeermunch from Nevada

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

How in the hell is there not a review of this up yet? Fine. Let me be the first. Drank this at jmoore's place, or was it Adam's? Can't remember. Anyways, drank there in addition to on tap at the brewery I should say.

Pours the standard colors for an Eclipse beer, black and brown. 1/3" lighter brown head. Aroma wafts an intense amount of coconut and suntan lotion. Plenty of chocolate feels, mild bourbon presence, same with the oak.

Taste, well I think its the best coconut beer I've ever had. Just the right amount of sweetness, a bunch of coconut flavors, they must have really draped a ton of coconut/extract into this one. Works very well. Mouth feel just keeps dropping the right amount of sweetness with the coconut, makes this an effortless drink. Kind of polarizing, I did notice my friends liked the bottle version more than the fresh tap version.

Feb 15, 2017
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Coconut from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 95 out of 100 with 41 ratings