Imperial Eclipse Stout - Mocha

4.06 | pDev: 6.65%
From:
FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Collaboration with Mostra Coffee and Craft Beer Kings in Southern California.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 25 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hoptheology from South Dakota

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 1 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First off, I want to say - fuck you to FiftyFifty who makes it nearly impossible to find out what beer is actually in the bottle. I think at one time I knew, at purchase, but it took me a minute to figure it out even with the reference sheet. How hard would it be to actually PUT the beer name on the bottle?

Second off, fuck you to FiftyFifty because this bottle was a geyser bomb. It exploded all over my bar, chair, and laptop, creating the biggest mess in commercial craft beer history for me. I changed shirts, wiped down and cleaned my bar, and after 5 minutes I think I'm ready for this beer. I'm giving it a 1 for appearance because there's actually pellicles in my glass (foggy bacteria bubbles) and who likes an exploding bottle?

Aroma is good. Nice nutty mocha and some lovely wet barrel. A little bit of tobacco and molasses and hot caramel. Reminds me of barrel aged Birthday Bomb.

Flavor has really nice wet barrel and good chocolate and mocha. Lots of coffee. Lots of wet barrel. It all falls into place. Not too sweet, not too bitter, just nearly a perfect profile.

Feel is slick and smooth, a touch lighter than you'd expect but that's okay because it lends itself to drinkability. Nice heat, not overwhelming.

Overall, a really awesome barrel aged stout. The flavor and aroma are a real treat. I had no problem knocking down this entire bomber (well, the 18 ounces of it left over from the geyser) by myself. It was effortless because it was so good. I just hate that this exploded everywhere and that it's hell trying to find out what you're actually buying.

Price paid : like $22.99 I think, and BOGO
Would buy again : yes

Aug 04, 2020
heysuz from Indiana

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Intro: 22 oz. poured into a snifter. Shared with a friend.

Appearance: Black, opaque with ample head.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee.

Taste: follows smell. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Conclusion: Very nice. Love all the Imperial Eclipse Stouts.

Apr 26, 2020
REVZEB from Illinois

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Jet black body with fizzy brown bubbles that settle into a thin ring. Mocha coffee, dark chocolate sauce, honey, and slight caramel aromas. Taste has dessert like coffee flavoring with fudge, caramel, honey, brownie batter, and slight bourbon. For some reason honey was more present in this than other variants. Feel is sharp with coffee bitterness, then cloys with the sweetness, then ends sticky and boozy.

Aug 13, 2019
rodbeermunch from Nevada

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this at the 2017 Eclipse party. Was nice, but wasn't sure why the name changed other than they're using a different coffee source? What a bummer they don't have that Mayra girl from the other coffee place at their parties anymore. She fine.

Pours black, usual 1/2" brown head on top. Aroma was coffee, but milder than previous iterations of this beer when it was called coffee Eclipse. Mostra is good stuff, I dunno. Still enjoyable, but this was some holy grail stuff the first few batches when it was called coffee. Roasted malt jives well with it though, real nice mouth feel, carbonation, lower sludge thickness helps in these departments.

Bottles are priced at the high end of the spectrum for this type of beer. You can get about 8 (96oz) bottles of bourbon barrel aged Peruvian Morning (Central Waters) for the cost of 22oz of this. They're both awesome, but the price on these are not awesome.

Jul 18, 2019
BigGold from Mississippi

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had in June 2019 at the FiftyFifty Truckee Pub on draft into 8-oz. snifter, as the brewery pulled a keg or two from its stash.

A little lighter than expected (or preferred) for a big stout, but an excellent take on the mocha stout.

Jul 18, 2019
Thomas_Wikman from Texas

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is my review for Eclipse Imperial Stout the Mocha Blend, ABV 11.00%. I have to assume it is the correct one, there's nothing called exactly "Mocha Blend", but this is Mocha. Anyway, it was not my favorite Imperial Stout but it was good.

Look: Black with a half inch mocca colored head.

Aroma: roasted malts, chocolate, mild coffee

Flavor: The flavor is roasted malts, honey, chocolate and coffee. The coffee is not too strong, in fact pretty mild, which I prefer (others may not).

Feel: medium to full body

Jan 23, 2019
Stoneandrob from Illinois

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not what I was expecting from Eclipse. The chocolate aroma was underwhelming and the body overall was thin. Slight carbonation but no visible head. Oily in appearance. the taste mimics the nose, thin oily carbonation, bitter cocoa notes but no follow up of coffee or the honey sweetness I have come to love about Eclipse. An average stout, not bad, but not worth the extra expense and effort it took to acquire this one.

Feb 14, 2018
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Mocha from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 25 ratings