Totality Imperial Stout | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Totality Imperial StoutTotality Imperial Stout

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

formerly Roundabout Imperial Stout

Added by GClarkage on 10-22-2009

4.89/5  rDev +21.6%

Had this on tap at 5050

A: It came in a pint glass with no foam whatsoever but a light lacing. While being consumed it leaves a nice lacing along the glass as well.

S: The aroma is intoxicating, it has a sweet raisin, caramel, coffee, bittersweet dark chocolate, and some really great maltiness.

T: This beer has a ton of complexity to it as well. It starts with a sweet rummy raisin, which then goes into a bittersweet dark chocolate, and then finishes with a nice coffee and sweet caramel. I could not believe how much complexity you can have with so many different malts in which one malt doesnt overshadow another. All the malts lend there own flavor component to the beer and just allows the levels of flavor to continue.

M: It has a light carbonation and a very nice rich mouthfeel to it.

O: Overall, this is an amazing beer. I have had Eclipse several times and you can definitely see how each component that goes into Totality really can lend to the barrel aging in its own way. I have had several stouts, and imperial stouts, and I must say this is the most complex and flavorful. A lot of stouts tend to be heavy on the sweet side or heavy on the roasted side of the stout spectrum and this is a great stout that is right in the middle and very balanced. This beer is absolutely fantastic! Great job Todd!

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

well, I had the Eclipse and since there aint anymore of those around I thought i'd grab the base beer while I had the opportunity...
small head, nice topping, great lacing....
smelling this one after doing several of the Eclipses is like sniffing Superman's underwear as he's lying on the floor after becoming exposed to kryptonite (i'm not a superman fan, i'm just buzzed and this is the first vision which came to me). still, a beautiful scent to this stout. a great base. I suppose it's like going back on an old recruit and remembering the interview. I never got the interview; I just got the superior result. I never got the Totality before I got the Eclipse. the Eclipse is FAR superior... very earthy scent, however, and i'm trying to review it as itself as opposed to it's older sister....
taste is.... just another stout. very good. very nice taste considering the abv. it is apparent to me that the barrel-aging is paramount to craft a highly-desirable brew although I was initially against this and despised the high liquor taste I got from several of the 'other' brands' barrel-aging. I have poured me a nice shot of Auchentoshan to kind of give me a sense of the barrel-aging (lame reason for getting ripped, no?) that i'm not getting from this brew.
overall, geez. what can I say? I know by reading the other reviews that others are comparing this 'base' beer to the 'finished' product of aging in a barrel and I can totally agree with that position. what a generic, 'standard' brew this is compared to the Eclipse. but still darned good. a little more bitter than I would prefer, but I think that is what the 'aging' seems to help out with...

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at FiftyFifty, served in a brandy snifter.

Black with a dense mocha head that shows strong retention and sticky lacing, this is a great looking beer.

Licorice and espresso are prominent on the nose. Chocolate fudge and cookie dough lend some sweetness, but this is more of a bitter, earthy imperial stout.

The first sip makes me think of chocolate covered coffee beans. Further imbibing brings out licorice, charred malt, firm bitterness both from dark malt and hops. Medium in body, not particularly sweet. The finish is heavily roasted, quite bitter and sticky. With this as a base beer I can see why Eclipse is so good.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Totality Imperial Stout from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.