Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

Added by Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

Ratings: 1,911 |  Reviews: 306
4.06/5  rDev -8.4%

4.69/5  rDev +5.9%

I drank this originally from a tasting glass at NotB then re-reviewed and scored off a bottle from Nate on 3/20/2011... The beer pours a super dark black, hardly any head though. Poor lacing... The aroma is great, chocolate brownies, vanilla, bourbon finish. Not decadent or overstated, very restrained. Outstanding... The taste is superbly balanced, tastes great, and easily crushable. Fudge brownies, vanilla, light bourbon, a nice warm alcohol sensation in the middle, and the finish has some nice roasted coffee notes. The full spectrum is displayed and perfectly integrated. I had the PVW last weekend I think I almost prefer this, would love to do a side-by-side comparison.

I originally rated this a 4.6, this time its deservedly higher.

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ones been in the cellar a while. Went through a bit of a thing with stouts. We've since made up so lets do this. 2013 bottle. Big thank you to wordemupg!

Black, very little brown head. Nice nose with plenty of bourbon and vanilla.a little black licorice and chocolate. Taste is sweet, bourbon, milk chocolate, vanilla and wood. Very smooth and can't find any oxidization. Great stuff.

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -12%

Pours a jet black color with a small tan head but still leaves some super lacing as your swirl the beer around.

Aromas of sweet bourbon, oak, roasted malts and dark chocolate. As it warms you get some toffee, bitter espresso and light caramel maltiness. A much more dry, bitter dark chocolate aroma than the other Eclipse series that I have sampled.

The tastes follow the nose and begin with sweet bourbon, oak, roasted malts and dark chocolate. The roasty/smoky elements continue to build as it warms into a full Bourbon character by leaving some rough boozy edges.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Finish is dry and biting due to the emerging Bourbon presence.

Overall this is my least favorite of the 5 variations I have sampled to date. Too smoky and acridly bitter with too much emerging straight bourbon flavor overpowering the base beer elements.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Even though it was against my better judgement I acquired a bottle of this. I heard the EC 12 year was one of the best eclipses so I dropped an unseemly amount of money for a bomber ($24). I had this feeling all along it wasn't going to be worth the money since Parabola is only $15 and I was proven right. Dark black beer, super healthy head. Aroma is mild bourbon, and then I get notes of honey, not bad. Flavor was mostly bourbon, wood, more booze, touch of honey. I was really hoping for some chocolate or vanilla or coconut flavors but I got none. I suspected this beer was overpriced and now I feel vindicated. Caveat emptor. I sort of wish I had just bought two bottles of older viscosity instead. :(

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle graciously shared by Dyan last month in DC, very appreciative for the chance to try this. One of these days I'm gonna set up a tasting with a bunch of FiftyFifty Eclipse beers side-by-side, it would be cool to check out the differences from the barrels. By itself this one seemed kind of special to me, my second favorite to PVW.

It pours dark brown with a tan foam, same as the other Eclipse beers I suppose. The nose is very nice, big hits of Elijah Craig along with the sweet malty aromas of the base beer. Some cocoa and oak, but mainly the bourbon.

It tasted really good, large barrel character along with cocoa and dark fruits. Viscous and sticky feeling, the flavors lasted long after my glass was empty. Excellent, I'd be very happy to try this one again any time. I owe you Dyan.

4.46/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Black in the glass with a one finger tan head.

S-Bourbon, vanilla are prominent, chocolate, roasted malt and coffee.

T-Great balance of bourbon, slight vanilla, nice chocolate, tad coffee, nothing overpowering.

M-Heavy, thick and not much carbonation.

O-What balance, so smooth. A wonderful stout. The vanilla and bourbon notes went together so perfectly.

3.97/5  rDev -10.4%

Black with a dark tan fuzzy blanket.

Smell is almost smokey, spiced rye malt, with caramel, coffee and sweet bourbon.

Taste is powdered cocoa and dark chocolate with raisin and a mature bourbon character while not being hot, all over a full, thick body.

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

3.52/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

For the record, Elijah Craig 12 Year is my go to bourbon, so there might be a bias. The aroma is nicely nuanced with the bourbon all the same. Notes of coconut, vanilla, and oak barrel show up, but conceal the base stout somewhat. Flavors of vanilla opens it, closes it, and do everything else in between. There are gentle touches of smoke and roast also near the back end, but otherwise the simplistic nature of the base beer really lets things down. At least the bourbon presence rocks (duh!) I also like how easygoing it is for 11%, however - the honey creates a dry finish that counteracts the sweetness some. Oak tannins also keeps the mouthfeel dry (but slightly astringent). This one is a decent barrel-aged stout that showcases one of my favorite bourbons nicely, but is a letdown in most other aspects. At $30 a bottle, I don't need to have it again.

3.52/5: Good, but at $30 I may as well just buy regular Elijah Craig bourbon

4.09/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. Bottle 668, vintage 2011.

A: Black, with no head, but heavy lacing.

S: Boozy and strong.

T: This is a delicious beer. Not as strong as I was expecting, it's mild and inviting, with lots of soft vanilla and bittersweet chocolate. The aftertaste is warming and lingering. Still, after two years, I expected a bit more.

M: Surprisingly clean without being carbonated or thin. Solid beer.

O: Very nice! I like this beer a lot.

3.86/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle shared by Grant, compared to the Heaven Hill he brought last week - many thanks!

Pours black with a half-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth roasted malts with large amounts of vanilla from the barrels. Also present are hints of dark chocolate and traces of alcohol.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Robust roasted malt flavors kick things off and are quickly joined by well-integrated dark chooclate and vanilla flavors. Midway through the sip the vanilla flavors take over a bit before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer was much more of a bourbon bomb than the HH version. Still a very nice beer but the complexity and nuance of the HH version was lost on this one. Very much worth a shot but thus far my second favorite of the series.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.48/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.