Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

Added by Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

Reviews: 289 | Ratings: 1,828
4.49/5  rDev +1.1%

What is it with this tasting and purple wax? Surly Four, now this. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Black body with a thin dark tan head of rich foam. Looks good, but not quite great.

S: Sweet, oaky, vanilla, caramel goodness. Amazingly well-integrated barrel notes, with the bourbon only noticeable in a subdued, nuanced way. I can't really imagine a better-smelling stout.

T: Bourbon takes over more here, but not to an irredeemable point. Impressive, but not quite as splendid as the nose.

M: Very sweet, sticky, and rich. I'm loving it.

D: Intense bourbon flavor isn't necessarily the most drinkable aspect a beer can have, but this one is drinkable nonetheless.

Notes: Gigantic thanks to Tony for being so generous as to share this rare and delicious -bal aged awesomeness. I don't know what else to say about this one - it's great. I wish I had the ammo to put together a horizontal tasting of all the Eclipse beers, as that would be the definition of epicness.

4.52/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Joe for breaking this out randomly during our epic tasting!

Poured very black with garnet/mahogany hues in the light. Adorned by a big beige cap that left ample trails of lace. This is a very roasty and toasty imperial stout. Lots of burnt notes here, maybe even toasted marshmallow. Biscuit and caramel leading into lots of vanilla and oak. It's like someone took Blackout Stout and tossed in a spoonful of bourbon. Medium bodied and spritzy carbonation. Quite a delicious beer and always welcome in any tasting I attend!

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Specual thanks to Ultraman9000 for providing this one in trade.

Bottle 559 from 2011

The tan head sits like a coffee milkshake. Deep shiny dark brown, not quite black. A surprising amount of frothy thick lace.

Aroma is thick, sweet chocolate, coconut with a smidge of alcohol/bourbon.

More bourbon in the flavor and some more coconut. A lovely chocolate dark malt flavor. The aftertaste is almost the highlight here. Stays with you and is wonderful. The more I play with this glass, the more I enjoy the bourbon flavors here.

Fairly bold body and quite slick. Slippery and oily, but nice. Rounded edges.

Very good beer.

4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

My mate Doops and I were lucky enough to be able to try the entire 2010 - 2008 series. This was the fifth bottle we opened. A big thanks to everyone who made putting this set together possible. This was my favorite of the seven bottle bunch!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2009
Bottle: 986
Wax: Purple

APPEARANCE: Similar to all the 2010 bottles, but with a bubblier head. Thin, transparent pour yields a small, bubbly looking, tan head with decent retention. Head quickly recedes to a faint wisp and bubbly ring. Black body, quite transparent, with no carbonation evident. A bubbly ring remains until the end leaving no lacing. Just too light and transparent for the style, unfortunately, and the head is just too bubbly on this one.

SMELL: Huge nose on this one. Perhaps the biggest and boldest nose of the series. Lots of bourbon aromas and plenty of barrel, such as oak, vanilla and milk chocolate. Some nice dark chocolate and licorice notes accompany a hint of roasted notes from the base beer. Lots of barrel and quite impressive. Favorite nose of the series.

TASTE: Big bourbon barrel up front, then a very nice balance between barrel and base beer through the middle into the finish. Bourbon, oak, vanilla and some milk chocolate up front eventually allow room for some dark chocolate and slight roasted notes from the base beer to show through at the swallow. A big and persistent aftertaste of barrel flavors, dark chocolate and licorice linger nicely on the palate. No heat and very, very flavorful stuff. This one probably had the best profile of the series. A bold and enjoyable flavor profile, and the barrel accompanied the base beer very well.

PALATE: Medium body and lower levels of carbonation. Smooth and silky on the palate, goes down fine and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A little watery perhaps, but very silky and smooth with enough body as well.

OVERALL: I hate to say it, but believe the hype. Easily my favorite of the ’08 – ’10 series. The look on this one was even more lack-luster than the rest of the series, which is an accomplishment in itself, but the nose and flavor profile were the most impressive, interesting, complex and well balanced of the series. Lots of barrel flavors and a good showing by the base beer lead to a very tasty brew in the end. I look forward to drinking some of the 2011 vintage of this beer, and would love to track down another ’09 as a comparison. Time will tell. This one was worth the hunt. Highly recommended!

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Hamilton's during CBC

A: Pitch black with no head whatsoever. A touch intimidating.

S: The smell's pretty incredible, with a rich aroma of bourbon, vanilla, toffee and raisin. Really great smell.

T: The bourbon isn't in the forefront as the smell would suggest, which is actually kind of nice. Instead, it lingered behind notes of chocolate covered raisin and salted caramel with a touch of dryness from the bourbon on the finish. Hints of wood, char and roasted malt. Really complex and very tasty, though I liked the 18 year better.

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Big thanks to CheapBeerBuzz for this beauty!

A: dark brown to black, not very viscous, very nice tan head with excellent retention creating a froth on top. Same as the EC 18 but with a more foamy head.

S: bourbon and oak are slight in smell along with some vanilla.

T: dark fruits are heavy, but this has quite a bourbon and wood flavor along with some vanilla.

M: missing some body, but overall very good. Well carbonated with fine bubbles. Very creamy.

O: excellent beer. When I first opened it, I didn't think it would be very good. Wrong. Hope they make it again, and make it at a less steep price ($30/22 ounce bottle). Not quite as enjoyable as the EC 18, but really close.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

1361st Review on BA
Bottle to CBS Snifter

2011 Purple Wax

App- So I am really suprised at the black richness of this compared to the 18 year. Much more inky black with a better two finer head with a great line of cling and a swirl on the top.

Smell- This is a great smelling stout. Its a bit of a bourbon, creme, vanilla, chocolate mousse type of thing. No burn at all on the nostrils and just can sit and smell for days. The booze is there on a large pull but its completely hidden within the confines of a small smell.

Taste- I can understand why this one is the best of the bunch. Has a ton of flavor behind it without being cloying or abrasive. The booze is super hidden and the bourbon adds just layers of super creamy flavors. Its a bit oaky and vanilla and a bit of a whip creme like note. Just a wonderful stout. To me its almost a baby BT. Just cut in 1/2.

Mouth- A full medium body with a low medium carbonation. Super creamy with a lush feel to it. Just a smidge too thin. I am just being nitpicky I think. Amazing residual creme, vanilla and oaky booze.

Drink- There is no doubt in my mind why this is so highly rated. I know why I wasnt a fan of the 18. This kicked its ass and now I am kicking my ass for not drinking this sooner and ordering more of it...DAMN!!

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Deep black and viscous it held a very thin bubbly head.

The scent had nice barrel aged qualities with a lot of coconut, vanilla and wood. Very light chocolate notes and a touch of caramel are also in the nose.

The flavors are strong in the bourbon and barrel, tending to brash at times. There's then a goodly amount of coconut that can be found. Some light chocolate malt flavor is hidden near the end.

The feel is so incredibly creamy and thick, it's truly beautiful.

Overall, this may have been a touch too heavy in the bourbon. Then the coconut came on strong without a balance of vanilla. As always though, it's more a matter of personal taste.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks for sharing Cliff!

Pours with a nice blackness, and a mocha head, slight but adorns nicely. The aroma is very complex...oak, bourbon, vanilla, toasted nuts, chocolate creme, mild coffee and roasted malts. Balanced wonderfully. On the taste, the bourbon and oak hit you first, but don't overwhelm. Chocolate sweetness and toasted wood, vanilla and roasted malts/coffee balance things out. Full bodied, creamy, chewy and thick. You can't really taste the alcohol, and this is incredibly smooth and drinkable.

My 2nd Eclipse, and excellent still!

ultra-dark brown, not black. nice layer of tan-ish foam on the first pour- not too vigorous, don't wanna spoil what liveliness exists in this gal,,, supreme super shiny micro-bubble lacing down the sides. had her sister last night, the Grand Cru. best brew I had ever had, in my life, I believe.... I thought I was spoiled....
strong, pleasant, sweet mix of bourbon/whiskey with some coffee, dark fruits and vanilla(?). like a really good whiskey, I could go on sniffing this until it warms... I am expecting very much from this one; this is my 4th Eclipse in the last month. i'd never heard of it, nor known of it before. what a find! what a heavenly aroma! without grossing you out, I could probably orgasm with a constant stream of this smell into my nostrils... and I haven't even taken my first sip... raisin? plum? alcohol!
first sip.... nicely darkened fruit. nice malty, sticky syrup on the finish. a little bit of coffee. I've never wanted to nurse and embrace a beer like I have this one. I've never wanted to take my time with a beer like I have this one. I've never been so giddy knowing there's still half a bottle of beer in the frig to finish off as this one. I've never wanted to be so ALONE with a beer as I have with this one. still relishing the wonderful fragrance, another long smooth draw is utterly satisfying to the palate. my girlfriend would never understand and I hope she doesn't come home anytime soon. she's already threatened to put me in to Jenny Craig.... or was that
Betty Ford? I get the two mixed up. maybe because it's that I know this is my last one and I don't know where to find another one until December, but I am utterly ravished with this nectar. the pliny before this cant hold a candle to it. i'm sorry. if every beer were like this, I wouldn't feel the need to rush through beer after beer to get to the next one in hopes of finding the next "god-sent" product. as I stare lustily at my STILL-half-filled glass, my ability to restrain myself surpasses ALL my expectations and I can only imagine the jealousy my girlfriend would experience if she only knew I could hold on this long for such a beautiful endeavor. another privileged mouth full of heaven and I can feel the smooth rush of bourbon-tinted wonderfulness teasing and exciting every last taste bud on my tongue- even the lethargic ones left over from my pot-smoking days are energized into a frenzy and clamoring for more. I am utterly entranced. these people who make this beer are my heroes. they have made me forget about Russian River completely. I am completely and utterly enamored with this brew. I cant hold off any longer. my youth and inexperience are coming back and I feel like a teen-ager again. I don't know how much longer I can hold back- I just wanna GULP in this last bit of my glass... must, hold, back...
okay. i'm back. I can honestly say I've never taken this long to write a BA review for any beer before. 2nd pour is just as beautiful as the first, maybe a little more head. but that dissipated rather quickly. I don't know why but I felt this internal, inherent desire to CHEW away the remaining grape-colored wax dripping off the side in suspension... I AM heterosexual...
I don't know what else to say. this is rapture, losing-your-virginity and a firm-pat-on-your-dog's-head kind of ecstasy all rolled into one. my only desire is to relax and finish this one out in privacy. if anybody within my close personal circles is reading this, a case of this is my ultimate Christmas present and birthday present all rolled into one. hell, i'll even give you a pass for the rest of my life.
if St. Bernardus is a 5, this is a 6. I will renounce all my beliefs in modern-day science and call the earth flat for a case of this beer. umm, in case you're wondering, this is my 5.... on top of all other 5's....

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An incredibly silky-smooth experience, with notes of bourbon, oak, vanilla, milk chocolate and caramel. A world class beer, though a bit too pricey for a second try.

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on 2013-02-01 in Columbia, PA (BR1 2012 code)

A - Opaque dark brown with a 3-finger head that leaves medium lacing.

S - Sweet aromas of bourbon, coconut, vanilla, medium roasted grain and chocolate malt. . Very appealing.

T - Bold and delicious. Sweet dark roasted grain, bourbon oak, vanilla, chocolate and very dark/dried cherry, The welcome alcohol sweetness and bite compliments the bourbon flavor. It's not too sweet though and is well-balanced with some char, light smoke and peat. Finishes with some lingering peaty/chocolate malt and roasted bitterness.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

O - Had this served at 60 degrees and it warmed some from there. Gotta say that I like this more than Founders KBS. It is quite expensive and I can't/won't make a habit of having this on a regular basis but I sure am glad I've got another bottle tucked away for a special occasion.

4.48/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle a deep, dark black with three fingers of rich and creamy mocha head. Loads of heavy lacing left behind.

Aroma of toffee, vanilla, chocolate, coffee and light booze notes.

Like the aroma, it tasted of toffee, vanilla, chocolate, coffee and finished with warm booze notes on the palate.

Medium bodied and a bit sticky with a moderate carbonation.

4.73/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2015 Vintage, Bottle Run 2: into a snifter, it pours blood red color as it's leaving the bottle but looks black in the glass with a 1 finger foamy tan/brown head that was full of tiny bubbles, dissipating very slowly and leaving good spotty lacing that slides down on the side I drank from and foamy rings on the other side.

Smells of chocolate, bourbon, oak barrels, peat moss, coffee grinds, cocoa powder, espresso, vanilla, smoked grains, charred wood, hot fudge or brownies, earthy notes and some faint piney hops. The bourbon is very present but not dominating, letting the smoked malts and chocolate malts swirl into a complex and wonderful aroma. Like the other FiftyFifty Eclipse variants I've had, this aroma was excellent and what I expected.

Tastes similar to the nose with rich chocolate, bourbon, oak barrels, peat moss, coffee grinds, Hershey's chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, espresso, vanilla, and then some fruity notes like raisin, dates and plums, wet tobacco, brown sugar, molasses, candied sugar or Belgian yeast, and then more vanilla and coffee. The Elijah Craig bourbon whiskey taste is distinct and meshes so well with the roasted malts, barrel notes and hop accents that it leans towards the spirit flavors slightly over the beer base. After each swallow the vanilla shows up again along with toasted coconut, maple syrup, brown sugar and smoked grains. The longer it sits the better it gets, and the hops come out more with some piney notes, lemon zest, tea leaf and peppery spices. The ABV is masked completely and this is a slow sipper that I wanted to somehow drink at a pace below slow so more dynamic flavors could come out an hour later. That didn't work out (slowing it down), but this was a great brew which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Mouthfeel is creamy and buttery smooth to the point of being slick as it slides down with mild carbonation, a light alcohol burn and a thick, chewy feel that makes the body seem heavy even though it's only medium to heavy. There is a slight bitterness that's coffee-esque, with a finish that trails off on the sweet side and has a nice mix of cocoa, brown sugar, piney hops, toffee, bourbon, smoked wood and vanilla. It fades like a Frappuccino with a shot of bourbon in it and a sprinkle of dry citrus hops and roasted chocolate malts. It really was a pleasure to dink and a beer I highly recommend and will seek out again.

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Uber sweetness takes over in the taste profile, it's hard to get past the sugars here. Bourbon taste is heavy- really good BA brew here - only knock on this is the price point.

4.39/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Nate! 22oz bomber into CCB snifter.

A - Pours black, small mocha head, no lacing or retention.

S - Huge vanilla, lots of chocolate, fudge. Dessert. Nice bourbon note that's so smooth and well-blended.

T - Chocolate fudge bourbon brownies, basically. Not overly sweet, just right. There's some coconut notes in here as well.

M - Full, rich, smooth, viscous, no carbonation, creamy finish.

O - Top-notch Imperial Stout worthy of the scores it's been getting. The blend on this beer is phenomial. A sipper, so rich and decedent. A must-try.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

2011 Version brewed with honey. Purple top. Can't really tell if this is the correct one.

A - Dark, dark brown, almost black with small reddish hue. Hardly and lace or head.

S - Booze and coffee. Yep, soy sauce is there too.

T - Delicious. Big bold flavors.

M - Just enough carbonation, just enough bitter to quell the sweet. Finish is boozy but surprisingly clean.

D - Yum.

4.39/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2011)

Super Junior Market
San Diego, CA

(Aged for 1 year)

Very dark brown, nearly black in color, without a lot of visible carbonation and not much head. This does leave sticky spots of lacing down the glass. Not a particularly heavy or substantial looking stout.

Lovely aroma, especially as the beer inches closer and closer to room temperature. The familiar coconut, bourbon, chocolate, wood, roast, and coffee elements combine here for something quite lovely.

The flavor follows similarly with chocolate, bourbon, and earthy vanilla flavors combining. There is hardly any trace of alcohol harshness. This is incredibly drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. I think I would prefer it be a touch thicker.

Fantastic. This is perhaps the best of the 2011 bottlings.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 vintage bottle # 177 traded to me by cpferris thanks again for the opportunity!

Appearance: Pours black with a 1 finger khaki crown that shows little retention and moderate lace.

Smell: Bourbon, rich caramel, some roast, a dash of soy sauce, a pinch of stale hops, and a whisper of oxidation.

Taste: Same as the nose with a fairly strong alcohol note and warmth. This is a fairly beautiful barleywine like stout in the sense that it really has a nice caramel malt profile despite the roast quality and dark color. Intriguing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied (a touch thin for my liking for this style) with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down well despite the big bold flavors. The mouthfeel makes it more drinkable although slightly less enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bomber. 2011 Edition. Bottle #3014. Served in a tulip.

A vigorous pour gave me a pitch black body topped by a finger and a half of dark tan foam. Most of it dissipates but plenty of chunky bubbles cling around the edge. Only hints of lacing left in glass.

Aroma has an immediate hit of dry dusty barrel. Rich sweet chocolate malt quickly follows. Vanilla and woody oak are big in this one. Also get a nice sting of boozy bourbon.

Wow, bourbon flavor really dominates in this version. Sits on top of the malt through the entire flavor. The expected sweet malt is certainly present though, and supports the bourbon flavor. Semi-sweet dusty bakers chocolate notes. Roasty char is present as well. Finishes with a long lingering whiskey note. Big and boozy, but tasty.

Body is full but carbonation is low, so the overall feel is quite oily slick. Goes down quicker than is good for me.

From a personal preference, this isn't my favorite Eclipse, but it is damn good and really shows off what a bourbon barrel can do to a beer. Got another one of these in the cellar and will let it sit longer than the others given the overall aggressive strength.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Dark black with a touch of brown and a finger of frothy khaki-chocolate head. Fades normal.

S - Chocolate and dark caramel malts, molasses, Bourbon, vanilla, oak, black licorice, dark cocoa, raisin, coffee, booze.

T - Sweet chocolate and bit of caramel malts, smooth Bourbon, vanilla, oak, molasses, coffee, black licorice, bitter dark cocoa, raisin and other dark fruits, and some booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and a bit syrupy with a warming and sweet.

D - Great barrel aged stout. The bourbon is very present, but very smooth and balanced.

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

This review is of the 09' vintage as i did a side by side of this one and the 11' this past weekend

Look: Very dark brown almost black in color with a 1/4 inch tan head and ok retention and when you drink it down it leaves a film on the side of the glass

Smell: The nose is loaded with copious amounts of chocolate, oak, marshmallow, coconut, and bourbon

Taste: The flavor is just as good if not better than the nose. It starts out with a wonder chocolate and coconut flavor and the coconut is just wonderful. The beer then finishes with a nice amount of oak and elijah bourbon. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden where as the 11' the alcohol still shows its face

Mouthfeel: Medium body and mild carbonation with absolutely no alcohol burn which the 11' still had

Overall: The 09' is drinking incredible well at this point and I honestly don't see it getting any better where I believe the 11 could use some time in the bottle but is still great in its own right

4.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In memory of Valerie. R.I.P 1/4/11. A girl's best friend.
Huge thanks to Jeff (ipa247) for this one. 2009 vintage. Poured from a 22oz. bottle (#175) into a Darkness snifter.

A: Gentle pour yields a slowly forming .5 finger light mocha head with poor retention. Beer is opaque black with the slightest hint of light peaking through at the top. Lacing is stringy with decent stick.

S: Nose is subtle. Bourbon, sweet soy sauce, dark chocolate, and liquified prunes. Cocoa and liquorice linger in the background. Flavors are very appropriate but I really have to breathe deep for this one.

T: Opens chocolate, prune, plum, and sweet soy sauce. Bourbon presence is prominent but not overwhelming. A good compliment to the base flavors. Roasted malt, honey, and cocoa powder towards the middle. Heat increases a bit. Finish is milk chocolate and sweet, dark fruit. Aftertaste is the same with bourbon added.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth, oily, and filmy in the mouth. Slight heat and coarseness around the edges. Goes down smooth and coats the palate. Finish is messy with a pleasant, lingering aftertaste.

D: Clearly one of the better -bal aged brews due to its overall subtlety. Feel is not super heavy and spirits are not overwhelming here. The barrel complements the beer here. Not the other way around. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle 90.

Poured a dark black with a thin khaki-colored haze and slight ring. Big, sweet aromas of dark roasted malt, brownie batter, and caramel, vanilla, and oak from the Bourbon barrels. Taste is similar to the nose, tons of dark chocolate, malt, and high-quality Bourbon character. Incredibly smooth and drinkable, the Bourbon has none of that "fiery" quality and is so nicely integrated into the beer. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a medium mouthfeel (a bit thinner then I hoped/expected) and lowish carbonation. Overall an amazing barrel-aged Stout, glad to be able to crack it with good friends!

4.54/5  rDev +2.3%

Significantly better than the four roses version.

Pours black with a dark brown border. All of these beers surprise me with their aggressive bubbling/head and lighter than expected consistency.

Smells like delicious vanilla laced bourbon, just a bit of dark chocolate, much stronger sweet milk chocolate, and more bourbon. Surprising notes of wood, smoke, and leather. Smells great.

Taste is wonderfully complex, with balancing dark roasted malts that provide just a slight dash of bittering espresso with a big heaping of bourbon, alcohol laced vanilla, and a surprisingly rich and deep lingering aftertaste of smoked bourbon laced leathery sun dried plums. Only off-note is a kind of strange burnt raisin acridness ... not sure what that is, but barely noticeable.

Just a fine, wondrous beer with rich, perfectly blended flavors that does not try to do too much. I'm starting to think brewers are just going overboard with putting too much random shit into beers. It's nice to see someone take a straightforward recipe, age it the perfect length of time, and produce something truly remarkable.

*like all the beers in this series, could use a touch more body.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.