Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)
4.46/5
Outstanding

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

Added by Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

#167

Ratings: 1,935 |  Reviews: 310

Even though it was against my better judgement I acquired a bottle of this. I heard the EC 12 year was one of the best eclipses so I dropped an unseemly amount of money for a bomber ($24). I had this feeling all along it wasn't going to be worth the money since Parabola is only $15 and I was proven right. Dark black beer, super healthy head. Aroma is mild bourbon, and then I get notes of honey, not bad. Flavor was mostly bourbon, wood, more booze, touch of honey. I was really hoping for some chocolate or vanilla or coconut flavors but I got none. I suspected this beer was overpriced and now I feel vindicated. Caveat emptor. I sort of wish I had just bought two bottles of older viscosity instead. :(

A: Poured jet black with big brown bubbles, nice head retention which surrenders some spotty lacing

S: Big bourbon on the nose, booze stings the nostrils, dark rich chocolates and dark dark fruits come to mind. Whiffs of tobacco and leather are noticed.

T: Some initial heat gives way to bourbon, oak, coconut, vanilla, a one-modest two punch of tobacco and leather with a long drawn out dark fruit presence. A little hint of sourness is noted as is some charcoal

M: Well carbonated, full body, a nice creaminess exists on this but not silky like creamy decadence that I enjoy from an Old Rapsy Anny.

O: Good, but no way is this worth the price point!

nice, but lacked the wow factor that it would need to have to justify the price.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.46 out of 5 with 1,935 ratings