Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse RyeImperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 175 days in Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey barrels. The 2012 version contains a small amount of beer aged in Heaven Hill Pikesville Supreme Rye Whiskey barrels.

Added by Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

2010 bottle, number 357.

Many thanks to bhollas for hooking me up with this bottle. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. Pours a pitch black color, a little tan head emerges and then settles quickly. Smell- BOURBON! This is a total booze bomb on the nose, smells like bourbon, chocolate, and molasses. Awesome. Taste- buttery, caramel, toffee, a little roasty bitterness, and the bourbon flavor at the end. WOW. This one is unbelievable good. I'm blown away. This might be my favorite bourbon barrel beer I have ever had and I don't have another one. This is near perfection. My mouth lingers with a buttery caramel bourbon flavor. No booziness at all here, its just super smooth.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

The best Imperial Stout I have ever had. Served in a Bruery tulip glass with two fellow beer lovers. Everyone who had it said it was the best Imperial Stout they have had. This might be the second or third beer I have had that is actually worth the $20 price tag.

The appearance on this brew is dark. It has a dark black heart and lighter leather-brown edges. It pours with a half finger cocoa head that leaves a film over the brew. It has a liquor characteristic to it, meaning it looks pretty oily in the tulip. The alcoholic legs on this are beautiful.

The smell and taste are similar so I will combine. There are some pretty deep dark characters in this one. Chocolate truffles, tootsie rolls, toffee, roasted grains, wet sugared plumbs and assorted dark fruits, and an amazing Heaven Hill Rye flavor. This again is pushed by the Rye, the flavors I first described are just being pushed to the limits on flavor, amazing. The barrel on this does the brew wonders. The smell has a heavier Rye Whiskey aspect to it, but the taste is just perfect. I love Rye whiskeys so this one was like a wet dream. Everyone, including myself, was just blown away with the quality of the smells and tastes.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth. The grains of the beer take away the small bite that Rye whiskey sometimes has. This beer has the best aspects of an Imperial Stout and those flavors get pushed and paired perfectly.

Drinkability is stunning. This is one I could drink with special occasions and with every meal. I could easily take a bottle of this by myself, and maybe even two. The sweetness aren't overwhelming, neither are the grains or oak or whiskey flavors. Just perfect, really perfect. The only reason I did not give it fives all around is because there was no real lacing, little thin on the look and not dark as coal. I think in a year a perfect fives all around will come, but now I will enjoy what I got. Still cannot believe that this is the same base beer that the JD version is made of.

J

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.