Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Red wax identifies the Four Roses version.

Added by largadeer on 11-14-2010

Reviews: 149 | Ratings: 559

What a great, extremely smooth beer.

Four Roses is already one of my favorite bourbons, and, as far as Four Roses is concerned, I love the smooothness and sweetness of the bourbon character. I can't say that I can tell this is Four Roses from drinking the beer, but I can tell that it is a quality Bourbon.

Great beer, reminiscent of bourbon county barleywine. Just overall amazing.

SMOOTH and DEEP is the key descriptor here, with just a touch of fruitiness that characterizes Four Roses bourbon

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

2010 vintage, #468. Red waxed 22 oz bomber into a brandy snifter at cellar temp. Massive thanks to bstyle for the huge want of mine!

A - Pours a pitch black body. A dark tan head forms but disappears quickly. A swirl creates magnificent edging and some thick lacing that slides down the glass with little retention. Beautiful stout.

S - Strong on the dark fruit notes, its almost vinous and red wine like. Cherries and plums lead into some roasted malts. Light nuances of sweet vanilla and oak, a very subdued bourbon presence that is almost spicy like a rye. I can't stop smelling this, its that damn good!

T - The dark fruits start off initially but unlike the nose they fade away to let the other qualities shine through. Sweet milk chocolate and then a wave of smooth oak and vanilla. Yup, there's the bourbon! Some savory roasted malt to balance the sweetness. Maybe its just my imagination but there is a pleasant honey aftertaste with no lasting bitterness. Wonderful balance. When I first cracked the bottle open I was impressed by the nose but thought the first sip was boring and lacking. Sitting on it for a few minutes caused my opinion to make a whole 180. Just incredible balance and flavors happening here.

M - Creamy and silky. Despite the medium to heavy mouth feel it is surprisingly drinkable without the "syrupy" thing that a lot of imperial stouts get. I couldn't be happier that this is only 9.5%. Seems to be the perfect abv to showcase a touch of booze without coming off as boozy. Just a bit warming on the end.

O - One of the finest stouts I have ever had. I adore BCBS but that is a bourbon bomb. This beer on the other hand has notes of dark fruits, chocolate, roast, and oak/vanilla. Its sweet while remaining savory and robust. Throw in a great appearance and a perfect mouth feel and you get a world class beer. Fifty Fifty is the perfect description here, perfectly in balance and neutral. Oh, and I just so happen to love the Four Roses lineup of bourbon...

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Very attractive bottle design, simple and elegant with red wax. Bottle # 38. Pours a deep brown with good consistency, light doesnt penetrate once its in the glass. Fine tan foam rises an inch above the top of the beer and slowly fades, clinging onto the glass in clumps. Aromas of chocolate cake with bourbon and floral accents. Taste is unbeleivable, big chocolatey, doughy front with a silky cream finish. Bourbon and oak dance on the tongue as the flavor coates your mouth and slips slowly to your throat. This beer has everything going for it, great balance and strength, smooth creamy malt profile with a complex and boozy finish. Dangerously drinkable. A real treat, cant wait to try the others!

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up on a whim & I'm glad I did!

Pour - From a 22oz bomber into a snifter. Nice things off white head with nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma - Sweet chocolate, bourbon & coffee.

Taste - Milk & bitter sweet chocolate, vanilla, caramel & of course, bourbon.

Mouth - Sticky, medium to thick body. A little chewy but not as thick as I would've liked.

Overall - This is an excellent beer. Would I ever pay $30 for another bottle of this? Maybe. Either which way, I'm glad I was able to try this. A very solid effort from 50/50!!

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

This was the version of the 2010 Eclipses that I was waiting for most. I have had the Four Roses bourbon on numerous occasions and was a large fan. This version is very bourbon forward and doesn't hide the barrel aging. I love that.

The appearance on this one is almost black at the heart and gets to a lighter brown on the edges. It looks thinner due to the barrel aging, which is why I was so surprised with how the brandy version looked. Leaves a very thick leg that makes me smirk a bit thinking, "This beer has been through hell and back in those barrels."

Amazing smell. Chocolate bourbon anyone?

A very whisky forward beer is right up my alley and that is exactly what this was. Lots of chocolate and vanilla with tons of caramel and toffee flavors in there as well. It reminds me somewhat of the 2009 Heaven Hills version. It reminded me of the Sees chocolate covered toffees, with bourbon.

A somewhat lighter body paired with more heat on the palette makes this one a force to be reckoned with. This thing is going to age magnificently and I cannot wait to see this one grow into something special. A good 'after dinner' or 'cold winter night' beer.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Jet black hue with a thick khaki head with decent retention. The bottle smells of vanilla-bourbon. Sweet coffee-chocolate aroma. I'm smelling a little vanilla in there, too . You can smell a bit of booze in there, too, it most comes in the form of warmth. Very creamy and full texture, smooth, too. It seems to expand if you let it sit for a moment. Dark chocolate and roasted malt come together nicely. The warmth from the alcohol of the barrel gives the end of my first sip a warm finish. It almost calms the beer down. The chocolate and the barrel work nicely together. I'm also tasting a little bit of licorice as well. This beer shows great control. The effects of the barrel aging have done a nice job complimenting the beer. The bourbon comes through on its own, too, but unlike some barrel aged stouts, it doesn't take the beer hostage.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle split with russwbeck and poured into a Victory tulip. Bottle provided by jamdugan, thanks Jim!

Bottle #463.

A - This beer has a similar appearance to many other darker stouts out there - completely opaque, but this head really rounds out and softens this beer. About a 1.5-finger head rests carefully on top of the beer, smooth and creamy yet still many tunnels and caverns in it. The head has pretty good retention as well, and as the beer dissipates, a thin film of lacing covers most of the glass.

S - The smell is incredibly well-balanced. The bourbon is noticeable but not overwhelming in the slightest. A rich bouquet of sweet vanilla, oak, coffee, and chocolate intertwine with each other and keep each other in check while adding to its deep complexity. I was expecting more of a bourbon bomb but this is incredibly well-rounded.

T - As in the nose, the taste is so balanced by everything going on here. The bourbon is really integrated perfectly here, and plays precariously between a soft warming malt character that helps introduce some bittersweet chocolate. Additionally, the effect of the barrel does wonders in imparting an oak woodiness and vanilla note that accelerates this beer past the norm. Each characteristic is boldly defined, but meld fantastically about midway through and the final blend of flavors is euphoric. Each sip, each temperature change brings out something new, especially in the finish where a nice kick of honey injects a bit of sweetness into the bitter coffee, chocolate, slightly hoppy finish. Speaking of the finish, the chocolate just explodes into a smooth wave of fudge that makes this beer addicting. Slight alcohol in the finish, but overall incredibly complex and uses the bourbon as another level of complexity rather than having it assault the palate.

M - The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Coats the mouth thickly and the long finish lingers forever on the palate. The head and barrel helps soften this a bit.

D - Drinkability is insanely high. Easily one of the smoothest drinking and tastiest bourbon aged stouts I've had. It's complex and perfectly blended between all the flavors. Not one characteristic overwhelms the others and each has their time in the spotlight. If possible I would like to get my hands on many more of this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours black with dark brown edges. A beige head leaves a ring.

Smell is sweet and has plenty of barrel character. Chocolate and honey mesh with vanilla, charred oak, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste is sweet and roasty. Lots of chocolate mixed with bourbon. The flavors blend together nicely.

Body is medium with a lighter carbonation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, and count it as one of the top barrel aged stouts I've tried.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 2010 bottle at average outside temp in Santa Cruz, CA (about 42-45°) into large bowled Bourgogne wine glass.

The wax coating on these bottles take a little doing and don't have the benefit of wine bottles where the cork can be pulled directly. The bottle was definitely jostled some before finally uncapping and pouring.

The Pour: Very deep, rich brown/black. The cream/tan colored head formed 1/2 in. thick and dissipated in about 7 minutes. Very little lace left behind. The liquid itself has medium viscosity but holds together very tight.

The Aroma: As expected, lots of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee notes. Caramel and some unplaceable fruity esters (from the whiskey barrel presumably) as undertones. Overall very, very pleasant.

The Taste: Satin mouthfeel. Very well balanced, not (alc)hot at all but not flaccid either. Like drinking a dark chocolate brownie, for adults, only. Superb.

Overall: The effect of this beer is oddly calming as it heightens senses, almost like the effects of some teas. It's warming in the mouth and encourages some salivation while the flavor remains bold. As fantastic an offering as last years. Worth every cent and the year long wait. I'd like to taste Four Roses whiskey itself and do a comparison with the other commercial offering this year, but boy did these go fast!

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bomber sampled right after the 12yr Elijah Craig version. The latter has the upper hand, but this version was top notch, as well. Never thought I'd say this, but maybe it was a bit too bourbon-heavy.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

You can probably still get this beer if you look hard enough. Especially in the SF bay area. Poured from a bomber (22 oz) into a tulip.

A: Coffee Black with a brown head. That's what I love to see.

S: Nose is full of brown sugar, oak, vanilla, caramel (nice bourbon character), coffee and chocolate. Smells great!

T: Taste is more chocolate forward and a bit weak on the bourbon character, though it is very flavorful. It's a bit of a disappointment, because Four Roses makes some excellent bourbon. There is some bourbon character (caramel, vanilla and oak), but more coffee and chocolate, which is nearly as delicious. A touch of alcohol is present, but forgivable.

M: Full bodied and smooth. Would be perfect (in that I love smooth, full bodied beers, especially when they're creamy), but there's a bit of alcohol astringency, which is never pleasant.

O: Try it if you can find it. Perhaps not worth the price tag. I wouldn't buy another bottle, but I do not at all regret buying one. It's roughly the same price as Old Rasputin XIV was, and that beer was damn near perfect. This is not quite as good. Still though, it's one of the best beers I've ever had. As of writing this, it's my number 14 out of more than 600, and one of only 18 beers to which I'd give an A+. If, however, you are faced with trying this or Old Rasputin Anniversary edition for the same price, go with this. You can always get the barrel aged version of rasputin, this is no longer brewed, from what I can tell.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aroma of bourbon, vanilla, coffee, toffee, raisin, plum, Honey, even if There isn't a strong aroma. But the flavour is the same, just a little thin but absolutely fantastico, silky mouthfeel with vanilla bourboneish sweetness and a Lot of cocoa, plum, rose coconut. Absolutely umbelievable beer.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%

Traded for a couple of these a year or so back and this will be my 3rd iteration in the series. I’ve really enjoyed the first two and I’m 100% sure this will be no different. Drank while watching game 7 of the 2011 World Series (St. Louis vs. Texas).

2010 version bottle 850-something. I can’t read the last number.

Appearance- Pours a super dark brownish black with a small light brown fluffy cap that quickly bubbles away to almost no cap and thin collar. Not a speck of lacing either.
Smell- Surprisingly nutty smelling with an almost hazelnut note that I remember getting in the other versions, just didn’t seem this potent. Tons of coconut and vanilla as the barrel really seems to play into the nose a lot. Kind of sweet smelling with plenty of chocolate and caramel – especially at the beer warms. A few dark fruits show up for the nose party but nothing really all that potent.
Taste- Starts with a touch of booze that is slightly bourbon like with that wonderful soothing warming. Tons of coconut and milk chocolate make way for that Mounds Bar type flavor. Nutty to the core with a bit of vanilla, especially in the finish. The wood doesn’t seem quite as evident as I remember the previous versions being. Slightly sweet but the overall deliciousness of the beer makes me forget how much I hate that. The finish is earthy and warming and delicious.
Mouthfeel- Like the rest of the Eclipse the body is fairly thin but overall not bad. Carbonation is light and the beer feels silky smooth.
Drinkability- I really like this beer a lot and this is most definitely my favorite of the 3 versions I’ve had. It’s very tasty as the coconut and chocolate tones are fabulous. The more I have this beer the more I love. Awesome stuff!

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

essentially black as an abyss with no light coming through on Two fingers worth of brown, frothy head then gradually formed and pushed just out over the lip of my snifter.

warm vanilla notes waft through the air and perk up my senses. I find that rich aroma comforting and soothing and a sign that it stayed in the barrel just the right amount of time. Going in closer and letting it reach its zenith at room temperature reveals a complex mixture of chocolate, hints of tobacco and leather, even the finest touches of coffee all coming together and creating a symphony of aroma.
Vanilla and bourbon notes hit first. Smooth and silky feel here, really very nicely done. It melts seamlessly and effortlessly into a spinning cauldron of coffee and chocolate that just reeks of woody tones and vanilla underpinnings. Warming really starts to bring this out now. finish belongs to the barrel as the sweet, balanced flavor leaves its mark and fades off into the night.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Enjoying a recently aquired bottle.

A-This is more like it! All Eclipses are very different and my recently tasted brandy version did not have near the appearance of this version. Very nice frothy head with good staying power leaving rings as i work through the glass.

S-Very light bourbon and chocolate with a mild roasty character.

T-Again very good, just the right amount of bourbon, hints of chocolate and a bit of the ABV which is always very well hidden in these beers. It leaves a deep bitter chocolate aftertaste that lingers for some time. I think this is my favorite with the exception of the EC version.

M-I always say this, I wish these beers had a tad bit more body to them(09 HH was perfect here), I would say it is medium in body but i usually drink pretty heavy beers so it may just be perception.

D-VERY EASY to drink, hidden ABV, wonderful blend of flavors allow for a big beer to be very drinkable and very smooth.

Overall, I still think these are some of the best barrel stouts out there. I will continue to seek these out and enjoy regularly, it is nice to have these produced locally.

Another great release by 50/50.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

2010 vintage, bomber into a tulip.

Black with translucent brown edges. The dark tan head shows good longevity.

Unabashed bourbon on the nose. Brownie, cookie dough, caramel candy, subdued booze and vanilla. The bourbon barrel seems more dominant here compared to the Evan Williams version.

The palate also has a huge bourbon kick. Layers of bittersweet chocolate, black licorice and burnt sugar coat the tongue. Alcohol is more noticeable on the palate than the nose, but it's by no means a harsh beer. The finish is roasted and sharp; licorice, espresso and alcohol linger. There's a slight vinous red wine note as I dig deeper, like a big juicy merlot.

This strikes me as more intense than the Evan Williams bourbon barrel Eclipse. It's delicious, but I find myself preferring the balance of the EW edition.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

From 02/20/11 notes. Brought this to try side by side with the 2010 vintage of the Evan Williams Eclipse. 2010 vintage, bottle 639

a - Pours a jet black color with one inch of thick tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks exactly the same as the EW version.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, roasted malts, chocolate, figs, dark fruits, sweet fruit, and caramel malts. I thought the Four Roses version smelled a lot sweeter than the EW version, which I personally preferred.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and dark fruit.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, thick and smooth. very nice.

d - Overall I thought this was another great stout. Very close to the Evan Willaism version in look and feel. I preferred the smell of the Four Roses to that of EW, but the taste of EW to that of the Four Roses. Either way, both stouts were outstanding and I'd love to get more of them.

Review 450. Cheers!

Bought at Hamilton's in San Diego. 2010 vintage, bottle number 777.

Appearance - Pours into a supplied tulip with a dark viscosity. About a finger of mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour. The head dissipates relatively slowly leaving nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Holy cow, this smells amazing. Great bourbon scent, oak and heavy vanilla. Roasted malts and chocolate, and more vanilla.

Taste - The taste begins as expected, with some fantastic oaky vanilla flavors up front. Fades to chocolate brownie, fudge, and hazelnut. Charred malts and hints of alcohol finish it up. This tastes fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Moderate mouthfeel, lower carbonation, chewy and creamy.

Drinkability - Quite so. I shared this with another patron at the bar to give him a taste, but I probably could have put this down completely by myself. Quite good and am very thankful I was able to try this (I have three other versions of this and was not able to get this one). A great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Vintage 2013, bottle run No. 1 poured into a large snifter glass.

A real aggressive appearance. Thick light tan head, uniform but grows very large and settles to a whipped up cocoa two finger retention thick cap. Body color is a classic dark walnut brown with near one hundred percent opaque quality. THick spider ring and clump lacing. Great looking beer.

Nose has a wonderful soft and subtle sweet aroma. It smells like a candy cane. Wintergreen mint and a hint of chocolate. Peppermint. Almost clove, but with a much sweeter quality. Not sensing much roast or classic stout character but the bouquet is so incredibly unique and wonderful.

Palate matches the nose. Sweetness is much more subdued but the control is better and the flavors much more keen on stout quality. Great minty finish and silky texture. Velvet hints of mint chocolate and warming roast coffee. An almost hinting pine and lime like hop bent soft astringency and hints of wintergreen mint schnapp warmth. Some crunky oreo mint cookies as well.

These brews just stun me, and it blows my mind how different the variations are, this is another favorite one for me to chalk up. Great brew.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

2011 vintage split with mjyoung.

A: Pours near black with a finger of creamy, fluffy, light brown head that faded into a soft film and collar leaving streaks of lace down the glass.
S: I get big notes of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and woody, spicy barrel. Very smooth smelling with no harshness.
T: Super smooth and integrated flavors of dark chocolate and mellow barrel spices and oak. I get a ton of vanilla and oak in the finish, with some powdery cocoa and roast in the aftertaste. The bourbon is mellow and smooth, and I get a hint of caramel, marshmallow, and toasted oats as well.
M: Velvety smooth mouth, super fluffy mousse-like carbonation with a thick full body that has a nice heft to it.
O: One of the better variations in my opinion and definitely an exceptional stout. Flavors are rich and creamy, and the mouthfeel with silky and smooth. Well done.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Big thanks to largadeer for sending this bottle my way. 2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pretty much black, but the head is quite impressive. It rises two inches above the liquid and exhibits remarkable retention. Lacing appears in thick curtains on the sides of my snifter. Looks fantastic, especially for a barrel aged beer.

S: A blend of dark and milk chocolates and an evident earthy hop note. Light notes of caramel and cookie dough. There's a damp wood profile that is pretty unique that blends with vanilla and a well integrated bourbon character. Brown sugar is tame, and there's the faintest note of coffee. Roasted malt is restrained. On the whole, the aroma gives the impression of bourbonic oaken chocolate.

T: More aggressive than the nose suggested, but that's not really a bad thing. Tannic and moderately roasted, with a very drying oak profile. Bourbon is well integrated like it was in the nose. Dark bittersweet chocolate is pronounced, but there are some milk chocolate notes in there as well. Some cookie dough is apparent. The beer displays an upper moderate sweetness with an unabashed booziness that seems to fit. The finish is dry, with big chocolate and bourbon notes.

M: Lower full body with a moderate level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is chewy, silky, sticky, tannic, and dry. Alcohol warming is substantial.

Overall: A very nice addition to the barrel aged Eclipse series. I know there's been a significant amount of bottle variation with the 2010 batches, but this particular bottle was really great. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

a: mostly dark, some red at the bottom with a light brown head that head been sticking around.

s: hard liquor, brown sugar, oatmeal maybe. Classic bourbon barrel notes but with some sugary notes in there as well.

t: oh yeah, soooo good. Super chocolatey. Tons of oats and caramel sweetness with that barrel adding the perfect blend on the finish. A very tiny touch of alcohol.

mf: creamy, medium carbonation, not viscous. It could be a touch thicker on the mouthfeel.

overall: the more i sip, the more alcohol starts to come through unfortunately, but it isn't unpleasant, it just takes away some of those awesome chocolate notes. Though the aftertaste is awesome.

This definitely isn't one of those Bourbon bombs. More balanced, slight barrel character. Probably not aged too long. My favorite take on the style.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Look: black with a tan head
Smell: mmm..bourbon, chocolate, vanilla
Taste: dark chocolate, vanilla, tobacco with underlying bourbon
Overall: A very nice imperial barreled stout. I paid for the uniqueness of the flavor profile and was not disappointed. I will try a different barrel next time. One and done

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A - poured a one finger thick coffee-colored head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. The body was dark black.
S - chocolate, roast coffee, bourbon and vanilla.
T - coffee, chocolate and bourbon.
M - medium and slick.
O - excellent. Lots of great stout flavors and the bourbon is done well.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a sniffer, big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this one with us. Bottle 925

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with mahogany hues around the edges. Topped off by a mocha colored head about a finger thick that fades into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Very delicate aroma, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, caramel, oak, bourbon, and a hint of licorice and cinnamon are all mixed very well.

Taste: Big and roasty, chocolatey, vanilla, bourbon, spicy, molasses, and oak.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and surprisingly carbonated, I wasn't expecting this much carbonation, probably the only down side.

Overall: Very much enjoyed this beer, would have preferred a little less carbonation, but other then that, very happy.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.