Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Red wax identifies the Four Roses version.

Added by largadeer on 11-14-2010

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a nice deep dark brown with a thin ring of tan head.

Smelled sweet and chocolatey, almost candy bar like, very light on the bourbon with just a touch of vanilla.

My first impression of the flavor is wow this is boring. The flavors are strangely muted and subdued for a big barrel aged stout. Its a bit sweet with chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of bourbon and oak, but just barely.

Mouthfeel was lightly warm, but almost seemed a touch thin.

Overall one of the more pedestrian Barrel aged stouts I have had.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

3.32/5  rDev -21.7%

Had many of the eclipse series together. This is the 10 vintage. Pours a dark black liquid with thin tan head. The nose has a fair bit of wood, light bourbon notes, some dry chocolate and lightly sweet malts. The flavor has dry chocolate, roasted malts, a little sugary, bourbon and wood. It is a touch sweet, some light bitterness and heat in the back with a full body, very dry finish, and an assertive carbonation. The malts are a bit messy, lots of barrel and a touch hot.

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

I'm just gonna copy my notes here. I did pick this beer out in a blind tasting though among almost all the other Eclipse variations and some other bottles so I'll hang my hat on that for now. Notes read, "hotter than Elijah Craig. Under attenuated and hot compared to Elijah Craig, but not nearly as bad as Brandy. Some leafy tobacco. 3.4/5." I guess I was kind of drunk, heh.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

3.54/5  rDev -16.5%

Bomber shared at a tasting hosted by ramnuts. Fellow BA’s ChaseT, black13, MADhombrewer, Witchsbrew, TulipSnifter also helped me drink this. Thanks guys.

A: Medium reddish brown with good clarity, pale brown short lived fizzy head that sticks around a little better than the brandy version but still recedes to a wisp ring, no legs, minimal spotty lacing. 3/5

S: Wonderful vanilla, dusty cocoa, oaky brown liquor. This is where the beer shines the most for me. 4/5

T: Caramel coated bourbon soaked wood. Not much in the end of the char I was half expecting so it’s working for me. There’s more of a milk chocolate flavor here. A little too sweet for my liking but not terribly so. 3.5/5

M: Copy/pasted from my CB Eclipse rating: Low carbonation in big stouts usually works for me but in this particular case the base is just too damn thin. Sticky finish does nothing to help but isn't as gummy as the CB. 3/5

O: I’m not sure I understand the allure of this series. Perhaps the 2009’s I haven’t had are much better than this year’s batches. For the cash, I wouldn’t buy this one again. 3.5/5

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.