Iced Imperial Eclipse Stout | FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Iced Imperial Eclipse StoutIced Imperial Eclipse Stout

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
fiftyfiftybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Iced Totality blended with 20-year Elijah Craig Imperial Eclipse Stout.

Added by MasterSki on 12-12-2011

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

For my 2000th review, I'm going to re-review a bottle for the second time. Drank at March Madness during the Marquette beatdown of the team with the best record in the nation (Murray St.) to advance to the sweet 16.

Pours out the dark brown and mild black that all the Eclipse beers have going for them. Thin 1/4" head of tan. Heavier chocolate notes in the aroma, bourbon is nice but not massive and hot on the nose as usual as well.

Taste, very smooth, if this is 13.5% alcohol, you wouldn't ever know it. Still more chocolate, caramel and coconut slips in there at times.

Such a silky mouthfeel, without being challenging at all. Less heat than some beers with half the alcohol. Amazing flavor without becoming a sludgy viscosity stout, nothing in the realm of thin, but just simply great. I came in expecting thick, heat etc. . . but was pleasantly impressed with how it brought out the flavors I liked (chocolate, caramel, bourbon, oak) while keeping the heft, sweet and heat to its usual well reserved place. Found it to be one of my favorite Eclipse beers out there. Would love to see Todd do an Iced Brandy Eclipse one of these days.

So there it is folks, review #2000, redux.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

Shared by beerandraiderfan while watching March Madness in Reno, thanks again!

Pours a thick and dark brown color, a bit still, with a small tan head.

Aromas are of cola, chocolates, coconut, and hints of bourbon.

Flavor is not as pronounced as the nose suggested. Light cola, brown sugars, chocolate, coconut, and slight warm boozy bourbon flavors. Tasty though.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but a bit thin, and not quite as thick and chewy as I tend to like this style to be.

Overall, a very well made Imperial Stout, I did prefer the other Eclipse I tasted. (EC 18)

1169th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
22oz

Thanks to Mrhirschybar for sharing

Shared with GuruDel, Jazzpatel, MrHirschybar and BdubleEdubleRUN

App- An interesting mix of ambers and cola brown. Not at all like the others. Only a small 1 finger head formed and was gone but left great cling and lace.

Smell- Big aromatics on this one. A huge roasty note opened this beer with a chocolate note that leant itself to a bit sweet and sticky. Large malt backing notes.

Taste- This was very decadant. The new treatment adds a very creamy smoothness that was rich with what I say a batter like flavor. The stout lent notes of roasted malts with a chocolate cream cake flavor.

Mouth- For as rich as this beer was it had a great feel that was tempered by a light medium body and then a low medium carbonation. Very chocolate cream residual flavors.

Drink- This was very creamy and smooth. The malts and treatment added pockets of flavors and a rich chocolate flavors and made the ABV non existent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, shared with the STL crew and poured in a tulip.

A - Pours black, nice creamy mocha-colored head, thin ring, some oily brown residue along the sides of the glass, wisps on top.

S - Chocolate, both milk and dark, light level of roast, some caramel, vanilla, light char and oak. The booze is really subtle and smooth, and for 13.5%, I'm blown away.

T - So.Damn.Smooth. Excellent chocolate sweetness, more milk then dark, vanilla, caramel, oak, roasted malty notes, and a little more char then the nose suggests. The booze comes out and warms you a bit more then it did on the nose, but I really think it needed more of a EC-kick. Finish is chocolate and light booze, just excellent.

M - Medium, rich and smooth, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - Another impressive Imperial Stout by FiftyFifty. I really was digging how smooth this was and how different this was then any of the other Eclipse variants. Looking forward to the next time I have one of these. Excellent stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

BIG thanks to Sean9689

pour was dark brown or light black. some cocoa head, a bit thick.

light subtle sweetness with a chocolate milk like scent. very smooth. not much barrel aging on the nose.

insanely smooth. a great mix of chocolate and candy with light barrel aged integration. the barrel aging is very subtle but really blends well making this very easy. the alcohol was nearly non existant.

very smooth, mild carbonation. no booze at all.

this was very impressive. didnt quite remind me of the other eclipses, but more chocolate and smoothness.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to tashbrew for sharing this one. Served in a tasting snifter.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam settling to a thick collar and thin cap, leaving behind minimal lace. Dark brown body with ruby-brown glints. Looks similar to every other Eclipse, but somewhat impressive considering the higher ABV.

S - I'm immediately struck by how much this tastes like a bigger Totality rather than a bigger Eclipse. There's fairly low barrel and bourbon presence - I guess this makes sense considering the blend used. Plenty of brownie, honey, dark chocolate, light licorice, and surprisingly mild suggestions of alcohol.

T - Taste is quite similar, with massive dark chocolate, mild roast, and plenty of caramel, biscuit, cocoa butter, and low barrel presence. Quite smooth, and eminently drinkable, but I could used a dash more Elijah Craig 18 presence to add depth and complexity.

M - Super creamy and smooth texture, medium-full body, and lower carbonation. Shockingly well-hidden alcohol, with only a touch of warming alcohol on the back end. Very little in the way of roast dryness or barrel tannins.

D - This is very good, although it's more Iced Totality than Iced Eclipse in some ways. Quite delicious, and significantly improves on the thin texture that plagues some Eclipse variants. Best enjoyed in small quantities, but looking forward to trying this again at the Chicago mega-Eclipse showdown.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had during Superbowl halftime. Go Niners! Thanks Evan.

A- pitch black with small dissipating head. What lingered looked like bubbles at the bed of a marsh, like you'd have to pop them with your finger.

S- Chocolate, bourbon. Just really nice is all I can say, no burning ethanol smell.

T- I can't believe how smooth this is for how large of a beer it is. No overpowering flavors, just really well rounded. I like this beer much more than the sweet boozy bombs that a lot of barrel-aged stouts are. Sorry, but I don't care for Black Tuesday.

O- Thanks Todd for a great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Good appearance, nice creamy cereal colored edges. Decent retention, and lacing.

Has this light spicy nature on the back end. Opens grainy. Low barrel, bitter, little bit of Brown sugar.

Wow that spiciness comes out. Roasted and molasses sweetness mixes with juniper. An odd hop chatacter. It's vegetal... Odd. Lingering. Heat of sweet alcohol. Cherries and dark fruits.

Medium bodied, fluid. Some creaminess. Hmmm. Lingering tannins. Good carbonation. This beer let me down.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle number 35 split with Jeff, Chad and Mike.

A: The pour is similar to all the other Eclipses, except the head is almost nonexistent (not that the others were huge). I did get a few spots of soapy lace though.
S: Very roasted smelling with notes of toasted malts, dark chocolate and caramel. I’m not really getting any distinguishing barrel quality to this beer, nor am I getting any bourbon. I wish I did, but at the same time, at least this beer isn’t a hot boozy mess for being 13 plus ABV. I do get a weird winterfresh mint or anise smell that is very faint and probably comes from the totality.
T: Dark chocolate, light anise, caramel and very roasted flavors dominate. I get a hint of marshmallow, vanilla and cocoa in the finish. Again, the Elijah Craig bourbon barrel is pretty much undetectable.
M: This is a very thick beer with a viscous body, but the mouthfeel isn’t ‘buttery’ like I thought the EC 18 and Pappy were. Since EC18 is in this beer, I was expecting that great creamy, greasy, buttery quality to the mouth, but it’s just not there. However, this beer drinks like a beer with half the alcohol. I’m not getting any trace of burn or even warmth. This beer is very very smooth and super easy to drink.
O: This Eclipse is one of the top drinking of the varieties, but I wouldn’t say it’s really any better than the other ones. It’s no worse either if that makes sense. I didn’t think it was all that complex, but I did think it was an amazing stout. The alcohol is hidden so well, and the body is very viscous and thick. It’s also very delicious, just nothing spectacular. I still like some of the more available Eclipse treatments better though, especially since they are more available and taste just as good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note: This is a re-review. I was drunk, my friends told me they opened the bottle and handed me a glass full of The Dogfather, which I reviewed in the 3.8's. We opened the real one two weeks later when they finally let me in on the secret.

This beer looks a lot like most of the Eclipse variants. Black with some brown around the edges and no real head, although that is not expected in this. This beer actually looks a bit thicker than some of the other versions, which is nice as I've always foudn them a bit thin. There is a lot of chocolate and cocoa powder in the nose with just a bit of barrel. Taste is very solid with a lot of chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, and a bit of bourbon. There is something quite different and unique about this beer that I quite enjoy, although I can't really put my finger on it, but it tastes quite good. As noted in other reviews the barrel has been minimized in this, I'm guessing due to the icing process. It's a little on the heavy side of medium bodied and has some moderate carbonation, fine for the style. The beer is really good, and doesn't suffer from some of the heat and sweetness that other huge BA stouts do. Easy drinker. I'm not sure it's worth quite what I had to give up for it, damn low bottle count, but this is a fine beer that I'd happily drink more of, although I doubt the chance will come again.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

Thought id do new years right by cracking open this guy. Bottle 102 of 120 given out at the eclipse release party.
Iced totality in steel barrels than had eclipse Elijah Craig 18 blended in according to the brewer. Sits around 12 to 15% ABV

22oz bottle poured into 4 snifters

A- Almost no head but a ring of brown bubbles on the rim. Looks a lot like the other eclipse variation, blacked out center with dark brown around the edges. Not as thick as I was expecting

S- great! huge chocolate nose, roasted malts, sweet chocolate. Smells a like a bigger eclipse. (well which is exactly what it is essential). a hint of barrel, not as much as I was hoping though.

T- tons of flavor on this guy, lots of bitter chocolate and many layers of flavor. Doesnt taste like any other variation. Each sip brings something new and different. Very slight burn behind the dark chocolate, should be smooth with a bit of age. Slight barrel in the back, wishing for more.

M- mouthfeel is very good, nice carbonation and almost no alcohol burn as I was expecting.

O- very tasty brew, a bit different than I was expecting. I wish there was more barrel on this guy that's what makes these beers special. Would love to try an iced grand cru for sure. In a few months this guys will be tasting amazing. look forward to trying more usig this method.

Iced Imperial Eclipse Stout from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.