Drake Tail India Pale Ale | AleWerks Brewing Company

Added by Westsidethreat on 11-08-2006

Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 257
Reviews by flyingpig:
3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

355ml Bottle as a gift from Virginia:
Medium amber with a thin, half centimetre head that is frothy looking and holds well.

Sweet with some tropical fruit notes and caramel to begin with followed by some malts and a faint bitterness. There is some pine coming through as well as some light floral notes but the aroma is not the strongest.

Sweet malts and caramel as well as a lot of bitterness. There an almost perfume like taste that has some pine and tropical fruits in there too. A little bit of citrus gets through as well and yet more bitterness to round things off with.

Light-medium body with light-medium carbonation as well, a very bitter kick from the hops and some sweetness too.

Definitely a drinkable beer but if I'm honest it's not a classic IPA nor one I'd be likely to try again although I did enjoy it, I just felt that the bitterness was a little to much when coupled with sweet caramel.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Big scent of hops and citrus
Appearance- Pours a clear golden yellow with almost no head.
Taste- Very hoppy with a hint of citrus.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A pretty good American IPA. I recommend that you try it.

3.91/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass, dark orange in color with bright highlights. Clears from the bottom with a decent finger's width of head. Lacing is light but persistent. The aroma is very fruity with an emphasis on citrus but an after note of hoppy bitterness. The feel was light with a lot of carbonation; effervescing pleasantly on the tongue. The first thing I noticed was the sweetness, not what I was expecting from an IPA, but in a good way. As the citrus sweetness faded, the hoppy bite came in behind for some characteristic IPA flavors. In general, I don't understand the fanatical devotion to that kick-you-in-the-teeth bitterness that most IPA fans seem to crave, but this beer is one of a select few IPAs that show me the style does have some redeeming qualities. I will recommend this to both my BA and non-BA friend.

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

First off, as a Boston area transplant to southwest Virginia I'm always rooting for Virginia breweries to succeed and produce quality beers. That said I was pleased to see the AleWerks beers on the shelves of several area beer shops the past few weeks, and after tasting the Drake Trail Ale consider myself a fan.

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass and was immediately encouraged by the thickness of the ale and head. I'm not sure what to call it, but I love seeing big old bubbles rolling in the glass as I pour. The head is a thick thumb, and maintains a layer to the bottom of the glass while leaving some sticky thin lacing on the glass. Color is dark and reddish with some slight haze.

Smell is almost all malt, caramel and some toasty biscuit notes, as well as some faint piney hops. This does not translate much at all to the flavor, which was far more bitter than sweet. The caramel flavor does remain some, and I'd describe the hops as piney and floral. As others noticed, balance is not really optimal, but better to err in this direction than the other.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, which may turn some off but is just the way I like it. I'm impressed that it was 7.5%; alcohol is hidden by the bitterness, which I imagine I would get used to if sessioning with this beer. Got this 6-pack as a Beer of the Month Club purchase, but will certainly go back to it. Nice job.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness info to be had.

Pours near clear, with a slight yeast haze, lighter honey amber, light tan head, minor in nature and leaving some fine spots and tongues of lacing.

Soft herbal hoppy nose.

Pretty well hopped IPA. Hop character is again on the herbal/earthy side. Malt under coating is adequate to nearly balance things out. 7.5% is well hidden and does not get in the way of the enjoyment.

Workable IPA in a just slightly better then middle of the road sort of way.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this and a few others while visting Colonial Williamsburg.

Has a nice deep reddish amber hue (Not exactly the palest pale ale.) and a monsterous head that never really goes away. Abundant lacing.

I got a nose full of hops here.

Starts out with green apples, a malty middle and a nice hoppy finish. Viscous mouthfeel and average carbonation.

Definitely would be a repeat buy if I lived in Virginia.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

A- slightly cloudy orange in color with a two finger head

S- Citrus, piney, hoppy. Very nice and earthy smell

T- Strong citrus taste, hoppy and flural mouthful.

D- Would be great cold on a warm day. smooth and refreshing.

serving type as on tap in a sample glass

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a nice golden yellow with decent head and lace. Pleasant hoppy pine aroma. Wow the bitter hop smack, which is saying something in the overcrowded hoppy beer flea market that is our current situation. Great follow on flavor refreshingly washes your cares down. Nice balance of carbonation and chewiness. I really liked this tasty beer.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

The Drake Tail IPA from AleWerks was purchased from Vulcan Beverages in Birmingham. This beer was medium copper color with thin white head that appears to be lacing. The smell is subtle...not much going on...slight hints of malt and citrus. The taste is heavy with malt counterbalanced with hops...both in an attempt to mask the high ABV. The mouthfeel is downgraded due to the higher ABV....one would be plenty for me.

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%

Batch Code: 10 23 10. I'll assume that's a date. There's a slightly soapy, possibly oxidized, grapefruit aroma. The flavor does much better, with biting grapefruit and a peppery rind finish. As it warms, I think I detect diacetyl, maybe that's what I was smelling. This beer actually got worse as it warmed - not a good sign. Still, I like the hop profile and IBU level they've got going here.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is fresh, straight from the brewery store. It pours a light copper, very clear and clean looking, into a pint glass. There is a minimal head, but very nice lace retention.

The aroma is mostly flowery hops. The taste is hoppy, but not overwhelming. It is more of a balanced effort, along the lines of a victory hop devil but with less malt. I really enjoy the flavor.

The mouthfeel is very crisp, clean, and refreshing. It's not a conspicuous example of an IPA, but it does its job and does it well. Extremely drinkable, and I think I'll try a growler of it the next time I'm at the brewery.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks goes out to breweryaprntc13 for giving me a bottle of this as a gift at Sexual Chocolate '11! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured yellow-orange with a three finger off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and bitter hops. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and caramel hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good IPA. The flavor on this one was quite nice and had a decent aroma. With that said, this wasn't my favorite IPA I have ever had, but it wasn't bad either. The caramel hop was different giving kind of a sweet bitterness that I was not used to. I would suggest this to others to try.

Drake Tail India Pale Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company