Pumpkin Ale | AleWerks Brewing Company

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by on 09-19-2009

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

I know, I know, I am supposed to be divesting myself of bottled beers, not buying more new ones! I am just such a sucker for these pumpkin beers and while visiting Total Wine & More in Norfolk, VA this past weekend, I came across this one, just sitting there as a single, waiting to be scooped up and taken home. I could not resist.

Being that it is intensely fresh, I went with a very heavy-handed pour, creating an initial pseudo-cascade which settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an oddly fruity quality, underlain by the spice, not the other way around, which is more standard. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was, interestingly, more sweet than spicy, more in keeping with what pumpkin pie tastes like and which the style was originally meant to mimic. I also liked that the spices were not overwhelmed by cinnamon, which can sometimes saturate this style of beer. Instead, the spices seemed to be more even and as such, more pleasant. Finish was dry, thanks to the spices, but not so dry and spicy as to be off-putting. I would say that this is probably one of the better examples of the style that I have tried.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Schlafly's pumkin ale IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THIS ONE. It's that damn good. There is NONE of the raw pumpkin taste that's found in other pumpkin ales. I have personally never had that from any other pumpkin ale.

Personally, this is one of the best ales I'VE EVER HAD regardless of style, and I consumed so much of it that people started calling me "The Pumpkin Head."

Here goes:

A: Beautiful orange and amber with a great amount of carbonation and a head that dissipates quickly. Very clear as well - see-through, in fact.

S: Wow, breathtaking. Smells of cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spices, molasses etc. In fact, it smells exactly like a pumpkin pie. Since I love pumpkin pie, I can't get enough of this beer's smell.

T: PERFECT, but must be consumed either warm or at cellar temperature for maximum flavor. The taste follows the nose, and it's exactly like a pumpkin pie. Tons of cinnamon goodness mixed with pumpkin and brown sugar. I've never tasted a beer that this closely approximated a pumpkin pie.

M: Again, beautiful. A rich thickness with lots of brown sugar and molasses.

O: You must try this beer. It's absolutely stunning if you have it at the right temperature.

Pumpkin Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company