Pumpkin Ale | AleWerks Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by on 09-19-2009

4.2

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

By far one of the best pumpkin beers I've had.

I opened the bottle expecting a good pumpkin beer, and then the smell hit me and I knew I was going to be blown away. It smells exactly like a good, fresh, sweet pumpkin pie. There is an abundance of pumpkin, caramelized sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon on the nose. You could blindfold me, hold it in front of my nose, tell me that there is a fresh slice of pumpkin pie in front of me, and I would believe you.

The flavor is amazing. It is rich in pumpkin and the traditional spices you taste is a slice of pumpkin pie. There is also a little malt profile similar to that of an amber or brown ale, and a nice level of carbonation. It is as if someone blended a pumpkin pie with a really good brown ale, filtered it, and bottled it.

Totally blown away from this beer, and I want more.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I LOVE THIS BEER. I was in phonexville at the end of fall last year and happened to walk into a bar that had it on tap. I have had ALOT of pumpkins beers, this is by far my favorite. I live in philly and am excited for the fall, mainly because of this beer, I hope that it finds me again, as I continue to search for it.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Someone gave me this as an extra and I forgot who it was... My apologies, but thank you to whomever you may have been. Drinking a pumpkin ale in April doesn't seem so out of place when it's still only 37 degrees outside... Thanks, Michigan. This one pours a muddled copper, barely letting any light through. The off-white head grows to about an inch before settling quickly to a mere skin atop the brew.

Aromatics for pumpkin ales tend to get a little repetitive at times since they almost all essentially contain the same spices and ingredients. This brew has a bit of the normal things you'd expect - nutmeg, cinnamon, and some bready and caramel malts to tie it all together, giving that "pumpkin pie" feel to it. This one, however, contains a slight apple spice aroma to it, along with a a decent amount of leafy hops, slightly segregating it from the rest of the somewhat tiresome pumpkin ales out there. Nothing is really too overpowering, either - nice mix of all components.

The first sip leans heaviest towards nutmeg with a secondary nod to cinnamon, yet neither of them overshadow the other. Hops are present, just like they were in the aroma, giving a slight bitterness up front that fades over time. There's a delicate sweetness that hits almost immediately, reminding me more and more of apples. A dash of ginger makes its way in and molds with the bread and cookie-like malts to radiate a solid "gingerbread spice holiday" vibe. The finish contains a little bit of caramel with a solid nutmeg and cinnamon spice combination still resonating enough to be relevant. I love how the maltiness gives a graham cracker and cookie feel. Very festive. Medium bodied, medium carbonation, lightly creamy mouth feel.

Overall, very nice pumpkin ale, even though they typically aren't my "thing". Good addition of spices to remain strong but not too fatiguing. Malts play a huge role in providing a biscuit, cookie, and shortbread type of flavor profile. Certainly one of the best pumpkin ales I've had.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

2.32/5  rDev -44.4%

Crystal clear copper colored beer. Little to no head. No lacing.

Heavy spice in the aroma. Cloves and allspice. It's hard to pick up anything else. Maybe a little sweet malt in the background.

Heavy cinnamon in the flavor. Hard to get past all the spice flavor.

Decent medium bodied mouthfeel. Fizzy carbonation. Clean finish.

Slightly below average pumpkin ale.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a lovely light pumpkin color.

Smells very sweet, more pumpkin than spice in the nose which is encouraging.

Lots of real pumpkin flavor, very sweet, there's subtle spice but it doesn't dominate or distract. This is exactly how I want pumpkin beers to taste.

Great beer, one of the best pumpkin ales I've had, one of the few I would buy to drink repeatedly if I had access to it.

8.4/10