Caledonia | AleWerks Brewing Company

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by pitasoup on 06-26-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.09/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Pours a solid orange hue with a thin white lace that leaves no trail or lace.

S: Malty aroma that is just slightly hoppy.

T: Similar to the smell there is a good malty base with hints of mild hops in the background.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a very disappointing beer – nothing I would grab again.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Take this for what it is, a Scottish IPA that is low in alcohol.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with nice white head and great lacing.

Smells strongly of bready malts and earthy/spicy hops.

Taste opens with the bread flavors mixing with the hop character and finishing clean. Tons of flavor in there that is very nice and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is light, similar to a pale ale, very dry.

Overall, this is a good beer and a solid offering from Williamsburg

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this at the November Baltimore BA tasting. Served from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy golden amber color with a layer of white head that fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Sweet and malty up front, just a touch of caramel. Then comes the hops which reminds me of citrus peel.

Taste: Citrus peel hops with some spice, almost reminds me of rye. There is just enough malt to back up the hops. I'm getting a slightly fruity note throughout the sip. The finish is bitter and hoppy.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with tingly carbonation and a finish that is a bit dry.

Overall: I thought this was a solid offering. The hop level was quite nice. I'd have more given the chance.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a very fluffy white head that lingers and leaves moderate lacing. The beer is very hazy, and has a lot of visible carbonation.

S: The hops come through very nicely, in some light citrus notes and some faint pine. There is a slight mineral quality to the scent as well. Not metallic, but kind of like rock...hard to put it into words. Slightly floral notes as well.

T: There is a slight nutty flavor to the beer. The hops are nicely done with some light pine resin flavor and bitter grapefruit flavors. It is very light and balanced well as an IPA.

M: The mouthfeel is brightly carbonated but not quite as dry as I'd like.

O: I think it's important to consider that this is not a typical Scottish Ale, but rather a Scottish IPA. That makes a huge difference in both color and flavor profiles. I would recommend it to those who are looking for an actual IPA, and don't want to get slammed by a hop bomb. I don't know the yeast that they used, but I have noticed that the flavor of the beer takes definite characteristics of other Scottish beers I have had that use "Scottish yeast". My only real qualm is that it is not dry enough.

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

on tap at khyber

Pours a lightly hazed golden color with some orange hues. Light white head slowly fades into a few rings of lacing on the glass while drinking.

Touches of citrus and pineapple hops with a lighter, yet slightly earthy backbone. Biscuit and bread with a dash of peat.

Bitter and hoppy up front, but fades into some soft citrus and tempering sweetness. Mild malts with peat, bread and biscuit. I'm not sure either of the two styles come through completely here - as I get little of either. Finishes lightly bitter and crisp.

Medium body, well carbonated, crisp and short on the tongue. I'm usually a fan of Williamsburg Brewer's Choice beers but this one missed the mark for me. I don't really get "Scottish IPA," nor do I get an exciting hop presence or robust Scottish ale profile. Next.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%

Scottish Ale huh? This has been billed as a "Scottish Style IPA." Sounds yummy to me, but let's see.

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured a saturatedly (is that a word?) orange color, with about a 1/2 finger foamy head that had some staying power. I really dig the deep, dark color!

S: To be honest, I didn't get much of anything, but maybe that's not what this brew is about anyway.

T: Fresh and spicy, with a bit of the "dog food" quality that I commonly associate with Scotch Ales, but it was very minimal. Heck, I might even call this a Pale Ale based on its very faint hop notes. Still, this was a well thought-out brew.

M: Creamy enough, but still on the liquidy side of the spectrum, with the spice content about perfect for my tastes.

O: Despite my love for Alewerks' beers, I've been putting off buying one of these for a while since I'm really not that big a fan of Scotch Ales. However, this was pretty good.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

In a word, a" Scottish IPA". Unusual taste, hoppy, wierd, but drinkable. Golden bodied, Soapy head, lacey. Funky, a tad acidic, and a dry finish.Carbonation is appropriate, average mouthfeel. I get some champagne taste. Thanks for sharing, Radek.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

There is what I would describe a bold mild earthiness to the nose on this one. It has a slightly burnt roasted malt character, caramel, and some herbal qualities as well.

A crisp white head sits on top a foggy opaque orange liquor. The head dissipates quickly but leaves a nice ring around the edges which provides some really interesting lacing.

Caledonia brings a strong bitterness right up front. They weren't shy about throwing tons of hops into this beer. It's grassy, floral, toasty, and bold. Traditional scottish style flavors are subdued in this in favor of americanizing it with just tons of hops.

Fairly dry with heaps of carbonation and a surprisingly light body. Palate cleansing and totally satisfying. This is a winner.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Shared by yourefragile, thanks. Beer is copper and clear with a tan head of small bubbles, low retention, some lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is grassy with a maltiness.

Beer is billed as a Scottish IPA but the hops aren't really there, is it milldy bitter but the finish is a little odd. The beer is grassy and rough. Not a great beer.

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Stone nonic pint glass. It poured deep amber in color with a thin but sticky head to it. Great head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a pretty nice American hop profile to it with notes of zesty orange and lemon along with a touch of a juicer tropical fruit. It's got a bit of a malty, slightly nutty presence to it as well. The aroma comes together pretty well.

The taste shows a little more of the nutty, bready, Maris Otter malt to it up front. There is some of the zesty orange citrus at first, but it leads to more of a resiny, grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness as you get to the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little below average for the style. Overall, I thought it was a really good beer. The hoppiness was pretty solid overall and the Maris Otter malts gave it a nice supporting and complimenting base. I don't think it was quite as good as good as Bitter Valentine, but overall it was a very enjoyable, flavorful and easy drinking beer. The fact that it it's lower in alcohol impresses me as well, it definitely has all the flavor of a much bigger beer.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Another surprise Brewer's Choice beer? After Bitter Valentine and now this, maybe these surprises will be the norm going forward.

A. Pours a slightly hazy, golden orange color. Pretty substantial cream colored head, about two fingers that quickly declines to a half finger. Lots of big soapy lacing on the glass. Head is slightly loose and bubbly. Otherwise, good.

S. Citrusy hops, some more bitter and herbal smelling resinous hops, bread crust. Impressive hop presence on the nose, the malts are less prevalent, but provide a nice roasty quality. Good.

T. Lots of citrus hops, tangerine, orange, some pineapple. Some more herbal and minty hops also linger in the background. Other flavors include a mild biscuit-like flavor. I actually really dig this. I think this is only 4.5%, but it sure packs in a lot of hop burst for what it is. Drinks quite a bit like a hoppy pale ale, but with a little more grain and malt presence. Not really extreme on either end, very mild, but well-rounded and enjoyable.

M. Just ever so slightly undercarbed, otherwise it's quite nice.

O. I'm bumping this up because it's such an interesting style. Not sure what inspired it, but I think this drinks great as a hoppy, sessionable IPA with a malty twist. Really really nice, I applaud the creativity of Alewerks in this. And I am so pumped to see them spontaneously adding these new beers to their Brewers Choice series...it's like a little surprise every few months. Not the revelation Bitter Valentine was, but a tasty beer nonetheless. At 4.5%, I dare you to find a tastier hoppy session beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast