Scotch Ale | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by bucko on 03-14-2007

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.92/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a dusky medium-copper in color. Clear, but with what appears to be suspended yeast. Pale creamy-tan head lingers nicely, as does the lacing. Vegetal nose, with broad hints of peated malts . . . smokey. Apart from the peat and smoke, there's a somewhat nondescript malt profile, with vaguely fruity notes. Rather sweet and fruity on the first sip, with berry (strawberry) notes preceding the smoke/peat kick. Mild (and somewhat vague, etc) maltiness lingers along with the smoke and berry. Dry finish. Some astringency on the tongue, along with some creaminess. Seems a little bit on the thin side, but by no means is it "too watery". It's clear that there's some chewy, boozy, weightyness to this one, yet it is quite drinkable and even session-able. I should hope to one day try this one on tap, and I sincerely look forward to that day. Meanwhile, I think I'll score a case of this for cellaring and stocking the firdge with!

Note: seeing as how I rated the first few Brau Brothers offerings rather a bit highly, I tried not to over-rate this one, but I'd say it's still the best of bunch so far.

3.92/5  rDev +19.5%

Murky crimson shade, under thin creamy head. Should look darker, though...

Sweet, malty nose, rich and fruity...cherries and berries and red licorice whips...strawberry jam...

Tast: it's all malt, in here, with just enough hop to keep the sweetness down a notch or two. Rosey and bright, but a bit thin. I keep wanting more to chew on...fairly medium bodied, sweet finish, lingers a bit.
Each time the lip meets the cup, though, the result is satisfaction. I look for a bit more in a scotch ale, but this is good, no doubt about it.

Tasty. I'd drink one again.

3.66/5  rDev +11.6%

I had a small sample of this beer at the West Side Liqour store here in Willmar the other day. I just wasn't ready to take the dive for the $5.99/6pk although I was willing if the sample went down okay. I guess the mention of the "peat smoke" was the deciding factor since I adore Scotch Whisky- the smokier the better.
My first impression was the sweetness. Not a heavy sweet syrupy sweet, but a clear clean sweet. The peat was way in the background. Even in the little plastic sample cup there was no head. I didn't find this beer impressive enough to buy a 6 pk.

2.91/5  rDev -11.3%

A-Hazy but brilliant amber...nice little head on top

S-Sweet...worty again....almost a hint of BO (Body odor)...bready and yeasty...mild notes of caramel....and finally a nice little hit of peatiness...not bad except for the overriding BO every time I take a sip..

T-Pretty tasty...sweet..the peatiness is evident and assertive...mingles with a little caramel and bread...solid taste..

M-Lower carbonation but not down right flat like a couple of their other offerings...body is light for a wee heavy...slick in the mouth...almost an oversweet sensation..

D-This is definitely the best of the three I have had so far....they did a nice job with the peaty qualities....still it is far from great and I'd barely rate it average if that..there is just a weird off taste and aroma to these beers from this brewery...Nothing I would look to drink again unless given to me.

4.12/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer looks like it has some viscosity as it pours into my glass. It creates a murky appearance. Body is something along the lines of copper with orange shimmers....a dull bronze shade. A thin bubbly off white head is erected and leaves a little clingy lace as I drink. The aroma is very nice. Perfect blend of juicy sweet malts and yeastiness and caramel candies. The taste extrapolates on these flavors. This beer has a juicy malt center which everything else revolves around....the nice yeastiness....the sweet caramel characteristics....the light peat smokiness. It's a nice combo. The mouthfeel is agreeable and the body is about medium-full. Pretty good scotch ale.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last