Sheephead Ale | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC
Minnesota, United States
braubrothersbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Sheephead is a bitter card game. It deserves a bitter beer. Brewed with loads of caramel malt and too many cascade hops, this crimson colored ale straddles the line between a malty amber and tongue bruising IPA.

Added by morimech on 03-26-2009

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.41/5  rDev -34.2%

Bought a 6 pack from my local bottle shop. I was eager to try this offering out.

Pours a copper red with a thick foam head. Lacing lasts after the foam dies down.

Smells a bit of citrus hops but the malt dominates.

The hop presence is there,but quickly steps aside for malt and plenty of it. Really that is all I could taste. Wish I could be more subjective but this offering left me flat.

Moderate carbonation and easy on the tongue.

As I said I was excited to try this. Sadly I was disappointed. For a beer close to 8% it really didn't come across like that. If this was your taste palate it seemed like you could down several with no problem. I drank two just to make sure I felt the same about the first one. I was looking for some hops and maybe a little bite or hopefully a lot. Really not my style but worth a shot. Oh well.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.57/5  rDev -29.8%

Picked up a single of this recently at Blue Max, in my quest to find a Brau brew that I'm fond of. C'mon guys, I'm willing, convert me! Let's hope this is the one.

Well, the pour is promising, gorgeous amber brew with a nice ring of foam. Damn. The label mentioned bitter twice, & I don't think it was kidding. Like a mix of bitter, ass-kicking roses, hops & pollen. Original, haven't had a nose like that in my bus before.

Well. This had some promise. The bitterness of the hops up front is nice, unbalanced & aggressive for a hop-head like me. Then comes the Brau aftertaste. Honestly, I don't know what it is. The water? Yeast strains? Contamination? But the sub-taste is unpleasantness underneath this promising start. It's musty, moldy, blech.

Dammit. This seems like a pretty doggone good beer. But I won't be able to finish it. The aftertaste simply doesn't agree with me.

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

2.79/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from a brown long kneck 12 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. The head forms an inch of white foam, leaving behind thick lace drapes. A thin color of retention is left behind as well.
The color is a pale hazey amber.

Aroma is of solvent alcahol, which is not desireable, pine and malty sweetness.

The beer itself is thin and watery with an abundance of carbonation. Some hop bittering, also some off flavors here.
Very dsipleased with the mouthfeel. Its one sided with carbonation and hops, lots of watery thin feel. Its almost like drinking air that has been sparayed with arosal of a hop flavor.

For an american pale ale I would expect alot more from a beer. I'd give it a well hopped pilsner profile before apa.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

A little too bitter and aftertaste wasn't terribly pleasant.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Thanks to Rob for the sample. On the lighter side of reddish amber with a short pale head that disappeared with slight lacing. Smell was roasted malt with some subtle vanilla notes. Taste was earthy and watery, slightly bitter, heavily charred like burnt whole wheat toast. Medium body. I don't really find a lot to like about this IPA and quite frankly had no idea it was and IPA until now.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Coincidentally, my boss was going to be playing sheephead with some friends tonight.

A-Quite clear amber brew. Tannish head reduced slowly, leaving a thin, at times sparse bubble layer.

S-Butterscotch. Toffee malts. A resiny, bright hoppiness comes in and out, perhaps a bit too faint.

T-Bright hoppiness, spicy and earthy with a hint of resinous goodness. Hearty biscuit malt, with a nuance of toast, provides a solid base, with a bit of butterscotch detracting from the otherwise clean flavor. Bitterness adds a pleasing balance to the brew.

M-Drab, medium-bodied beer. Carbonation is enjoyable and appropriate.

D-Decent. A slightly hoppy sessionable brew, to be sure. I once had this brew on cask, which I thought was better than from the bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -15%