Moo Joos | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

braubrothersbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by jera1350 on 01-05-2011

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This poured out as a deep black color with a thin yellowish head on top. It faded really quickly, leaving hardly any retention and definitely no lacing. The smell of the beer is a little on the strange side... not really appealing to me, there are some subtle chocolate and roasted aromas but there is something else in there I'm not really caring for. The taste of the beer is a little harsh and burnt right away but as the beer warms up it becomes a little more chocolaty and creamy. The mouthfeel is lighter than I expected, decent carbonation also. Overall this beer was ok, but not something I need to have again. Glad I got to have it though.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

This dark creamy stout (oatmeal milk stout...as the label says) is a dark rich pour. It had a small tan head that didn't last long, but nice lacings remained. The smokey dark coffee taste was intense and in my opinion, the oatmeal prevents the bitter aftertaste that usually accompanies these stouts. I would buy it again.

Also, nice label. We love it when breweries take the time and effort to market with am imaginative and informative label.

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: Completely opaque black with a one finger soapy tan head.

Aroma: Exactly what you'd expect for the style. Dark roasted malts, some sweetness, milk chocolate, and a hint of light coffee.

Taste: Given its modest 5.8% ABV, Moo Joos has a decent amount of flavor. Roasted malts with hints of chocolate and bitter coffee. It's a little harsh on the palate because all the flavors seem very separate from each other like there are gaps in the taste. There is also an odd 'dust'-like flavor to it right before the finish (which ruins it for me). Some lingering coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Just above thin in body with moderate carbonation. Average to slightly below average drinkability. Missing some of the smoothness I was expecting given the description.

Final Thoughts: I'm can appreciate a good low ABV stout. However, I have trouble truly enjoying an unbalanced one. It's a valiant effort, and one that some may like, but I just can't say I'm pleased with this one. Would I drink it again? No, but I would try an imperial version.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

Moo Joos pours a black color with a small head. There is a strong smokey coffee aroma, with small hints of cholate malts mixed in. The taste is smokey and has a strong malty backbone, with strong coffee flavors. Good full flavor, nice dry felling. Overall A very good bold strong milk stout.

Moo Joos from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC