Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Bancreagie Peated Scotch AleBancreagie Peated Scotch Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 74 | Ratings: 243 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by beersis81:
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

A very nice Peated Scotch Ale.

2.14/5  rDev -41.4%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale pours clean, brilliant reddish chestnut, under a 1” off-white foam cap that is moderately persistent. On the nose is roast barley, a dash of peat smoke, malt spice and a suspicion of fruit. Smoke and banana emerge more on the palate with kettle sugars and a dash of caramel. The beer is smooth with a medium full body and moderate carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

I'm not a big Scotch Ale fan. Usually the burnt aftertaste gets old for me fast. However, this one really did it for me. The carbonation kept it lively, and the sweet taste did not linger too long. The alcohol level seemed right for this beer. I'm going to have to seek out more Brau Brothers offerings.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a light amber shade in appearance. a wonderful smell of cherrywood smoke. Pretty easy drinking, with a nice smokey note that isn't typical for scotch ales. I love a good smoked beer that can be sessionable, so this was a winner. That said, it's a bit watery in the mouthfeel.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Murky, dull orange color.

Minimal head; minimal lacing.

Smoke hits your nose like a prizefighter. Holy shit. Subtle raspberry smell underneath.

Murky, dull orange color.

Medium mouthfeel.

That smoked peat isn't hiding anywhere in the flavor either, it practically numbs your mouth. Again, raspberry reveals itself after several quaffs. Smoked beer done right; this is a palate wrecker but an enjoyable one. A medicinal aftertaste is present; somehow enjoyable. What a pleasant surprise; one of the better smoked beers I've had.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: The beer is a clear amber or walnut color. The head is disappointing and not even a finger of stuff here. Not really any lace sticking around either, and there is only the slightest bit of carbonation visible.

Smell: There is a sugary sweetness in the malt, but it is not quite caramel malt, too light for that. Also an oaky and nutty scent present from the peat no doubt. No real alcohol notes on the nose, which I thought I would get for sure on this beer.

Taste: So the taste is very similar to other scotch ales I’ve had like Claymore and Skull Splitter, only not as much alcohol warming on the tongue. Remind me to Google Bancreagie after this review, hopefully it turns out to be something warrior-like too.

The peat leaves a distinct smoke on the palate that is very nice. The sugary sweet on the nose has morphed into stronger caramel malt on the tongue. That mixed with the smoke is working very nicely. Too bad more of that heavy alcohol that fits this style isn’t here as much.

That is the only thing keeping this scotch ale from receiving world class taste marks.

Mouth feel: No bitterness here, as wet as a drink can get. This scotch ale is medium bodied and easy to drink, marks of a decent micro brew.

Overall: Appearances can certainly be deceiving. Like how you probably don’t expect a guy wearing a skirt to send a bastard sword into your forehead when you first meet him; this beer looked pretty lame, but the taste and mouth feel make it a damn good scotch ale.

Brau Brothers scared me for a second, but I know I should have had more faith than that.

And apparently Bancreagie is Scottish for “White-rock”. Not quite Claymore or Skull Splitter, and while I can’t say this scotch offering is quite as good as either of those, it is still worth a try if you can find it.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Haven't met many Braus I don't like and this is a mighty fine Scotch.

Poured a brilliant reddish brown into a snifter that allowed me to breathe in the deliciously sweet malts. A hint of the burntish peat. It's amazing! Taste is spot on and is that of sweet dark malts with touch of deep roasted barley.

Very drinkable. I bought a sixer and could sit here and drink them all. Very good job.

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler Pint Glass

Appearance - Slightly Darker Brown Color that's fairly hazy with a slightly brown 1 finger head. Leaves behind alot of lacing

Smell - I can definitely smell the peated scotch, along with a rich toffee and caramel scent. There's also slight malty smell in there as well. Even as it sits next to me, I can faintly smell the aroma a foot a way

Taste - Strong Peated Scotch and equally as strong toffee flavors. The malty flavor is much more prevalent here and adds a dimension to the flavor. Aftertaste is slightly dry, finishing off on a slight toffee/scotch flavor.

Mouthfeel - It's pretty light in carbonation and in body, combine that with the malts and what you get is a fairly smooth and creamy beer

Overall - I found the flavors here to be quite appealing yet different at the same time which I found to be very good. The flavor will not appeal to everyone, but those who enjoy their beer with a different kind of flavor would be wise to check this out. Plus it's a pretty easy drink as well!

4.44/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber colored pour with very minimal amount of head.

S: Great malt smell. Smells strongly of cooked cereal. Smoky peaty aroma comes through in the background.

T: Great malt sweetness with aggressive smokiness lingering around the the edges. There is a slight hop presence here but seems to be muted by the malty smokiness.

M: Although there was little head there is adequate carbonation here.

O: This is a great beer that I will definitely be buying again. There is just so much flavor here for a medium bodied beer.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%