Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by jera1350 on 03-05-2011

Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 217
3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brau Brothers Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

From tasting notes... Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Served chilled...

A) Copper colored brew. The head is minimal, but a dusting remained during consumption. No lacing noted.

S) Light roasted malt, caramel/toffee sweetness. A little smoke. Some earthy hops too.

T) I really enjoyed the flavors here, but it's worth noting, I didn't give it much of a chance to warm up. Toasted malt, nice sweetness, which was mostly caramel. Earthy hops give a balancing bitterness. The smoke and peat are present but not overly assertive. Well done...

M) Lighter than expected, not watery, but light bodied. The carbonation is pretty lively. Easy drinking... Nice aftertaste too...

O) I enjoyed this beer. In fact, I enjoyed it more than several of the more highly regarded Scotch Ales I've tried. Glad to recommend...

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A. A deep amber color with a fingers worth of head that stick around.

S. it smells very earthy with a little smoke on the finish. Something very sweet comes through as well.

T. A very earthy flavor, wet grass, followed by some smokiness and the finish a has just a hint of bitterness.

M. It has a pretty light mouthfeel with some thing with such a smoky flavor.

O. Its not a favorite and I will probably not get it again I like the brewer just not this beer.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - very hazy swampy brown, half finger of head retained at a thin cover
S - medium smoky earthy peat, mild caramel, grainy with a touch of greens
T - peat is earthy funky than smokey, some caramel and dark fruit, mild grains and grassy hops, finishes with a minerally thing
M - a little on the thin side, although this has been sitting several months, a little sticky towards the finish
O - not a bad offering but not really notable within the style

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque caramel brown body with a couple nondescript off-white bubbles on top despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Cocoa powder, caramel, alcohol, syrup.

Taste: What starts as a light caramel flavor suddenly turns quite peaty near the finish. The smokey character is pretty much all I can taste after the first few sips. I'm not sure that it goes all that well with the overall flavor of the beer. The peated malt takes too much of the focus away from some of the aromas that I was hoping to taste. Oddly enough though, I find myself going for another sip of this beer. It's unique enough to be worth a few tries and is an interesting change of pace from the usual Scotch Ale. The mid-range 7.6% ABV doesn't come through in the flavor but it's presence is definitely felt about halfway through. Aftertaste is very light smoke with dry cocoa undertones.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I was expecting at about medium in body. The high level of carbonation may be to blame as it seems to lighten the weight up a bit. Surprisingly the drinkability is pretty good here.

Final Thoughts: As I mull over the last few sips of Brau Brothers Bancreagie, I'm torn on a rating. Though it has grown on me, the lack of any real complexity leaves me a little underwhelmed. I think as a one-off or seasonal release it would be worth having a bottle or two but I don't understand it's year-round status. Would I drink it again? Maybe an oak-aged version.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle

A- Coppery red, almost like a copper honey. Light lacing and very little bubbels

S- Carmel malt, a clean light fruit similar to pear and light peat.

T- Starts kind of sweet fruit and caramel roast, then immediately to medium+ peat and smoke that take over the rest, but leaves a surprisingly clean earthy finish

M- Light to Medium, light on the bubbles.

O- Not my typical style but I found it good with the bbq tri-tip for dinner. The smoke really comes on in the middle but finishes nice. Decent beer imo

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice rich deep amber honey color with a thin off white head that hold some decent retention despite the size.

S= The smell is a little strange. Less smokey than I expected with a lot of sweetness. A little weak on the aroma.

T= The taste is much more powerful. A nice smoke hits you up front with a little sweetness to back it up a little. The taste is much more powerful than the nose but it is still a little watery.

M= A little watery.

O= This is a solid beer. A nice smoky beer at a reasonable price. Works well but it's not the beast scotch ale I've had.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, no freshness info.

Appearance: Amber colored body, ecru colored head, good retention, zig zag lacing left behind.

Smell: Very peaty, can smell it from a few feet away, sweet with some smoke.

Taste: Not as strong as aroma, elements are there with less smoke, some caramel, bit of meat mixed with the general peatiness.

Mouthfeel: Starts weak, like as if malt were diluted, gets a bit more robust in the finish.

Overall: Decent enough, packs a malty punch but average scotch ale.

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Produced a thin layer of off white head. The beer color is a semi-translucent cinnamon brown.

The aroma is of burnt sugar, wheat bread , caramel, and an earthy smell, which must be the peat.

The taste was similar. A slight hop bitterness. medium bodied, with a little sticky consistency. medium carbonation.

Very nice beer, and fairly easy drinking.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent scotch ale. Not sure if it is just my bottles or if it is always this way, but there seemed to be a little funk to it. Especially in the nose. Tastes pretty good, I don't always like peated scotch ales, but I'm not having any problems finishing these off. Nice lacing and mild head retention.

There are better scotch ales out there, but this is worth trying...

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

poured an attractive brick red color, and required a full center pour for a head that didn't last. Some lacing.
Generally this beer was a good, malty Scotch ale, except for the "peat" flavor. Having drunk and thoroughly enjoyed oaked and smoked beers, and Islay single malt whiskeys, I have to say that this beer didn't taste "earthy," as should be expected. What I had hoped to be a malty, earthy beer, to me tasted metallic with a chemical after taste.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

I poured this into a footed "porter" glass.

Appearance- A ruddy copper. Cloudy. Head is average, off-white and short-lasting. Lacing is spare.

Aroma- Light peat, caramel malt.

Flavor- I got big peat at first taste. In your face big. After the 4-5 swallow, it fades into the background. I get caramel/toffee, cherry, surprisingly a bit of spruce.

Mouthfeel- full with soft carbonation. Silky.

This one takes a bit, but it's nice and interesting after you get adjusted to the peatiness. As a big fan of peated scotches from Islay, much like those, it grows on me.

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

Ruby coloured ale. Peat smoke, burnt sugar and fruity yeast in the nose. Immediate smokey peat flavour, sweet caramel and light roast follow. Finishes bitter sweet. I really like this beer. It's defenetly peaty, with a surprising hoppy bitter finish.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper colour, thin layer of head with decent retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Bold peat notes off the top, nice caramel undertones and leafy greens and peppery spice on the finish.

T - The smokey peat notes dominate with a solid caramel malt backbone. The peat notes linger alongside some leafy green hop notes and a light peppery finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - A bold flavoured ale that boasts a solid smokey peat flavour profile. Easy drinking and nicely balanced. A tasty brew that represents the style nicely and is well worth seeking out.

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a 14-ounce tumbler. Effusive, almost uncontrollable head rose up out of the glass. Perhaps fermentation wasn't complete or conditioning was excessive, but the beer has way to much effervescence. Head is rocky, persistent. Brew is amber, slightly cloudy.

Malt and peat oils predominate in the smell. Nice aroma for the type. Taste is slightly sour, with a big malt presence and obvious alcohol.

Overall, a nice try except for the foam. I almost had to keep it from shooting out of the bottle when I opened it. Not right.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red amber color with a small layer of off white head. The head quickly fades to a ring around the edge of the pour.

Smell: Sweet malt with some dark fruit and mild smoke. I'm definitely picking up some peat in the mix too.

Taste: Quite smooth. Lots of dark fruit malt, but the overall taste isn't too sweet. The peat is there, but it doesn't dominate everything. Some smoke and the finish is sweet with a touch of peat.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was quite interesting. Lots of depth and complexity. I would have another.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Amber-brown with nice sized off-white head and light lacing.

Smell: Peat, toffee, and dark fruit. Simple but pretty nice.

Taste: Strong smoky peat over a layer of semi-sweet malts. Toffee, caramel, dark fruit, cherry and floral hops all play a nicely balanced role. Well, at least it is nicely balanced other than the peat.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium body. Finish isn't quite dry enough for me.

Overall: Very nice Scotch Ale. I like the peat focus, but wish that just a few more of those residual sugars had been gobbled up. Light years better than the old Brau Brothers Scotch Ale.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Haven't met many Braus I don't like and this is a mighty fine Scotch.

Poured a brilliant reddish brown into a snifter that allowed me to breathe in the deliciously sweet malts. A hint of the burntish peat. It's amazing! Taste is spot on and is that of sweet dark malts with touch of deep roasted barley.

Very drinkable. I bought a sixer and could sit here and drink them all. Very good job.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

2.92/5  rDev -20%

Pour shows little head, fades to a still looking body that is a nice reddish amber hue.
The peat i was expecting to get from this is really mild overall and i dont think too much for people who don't like peat. roasted caramel malts.
Flavor wise this is a bit smoked malts, a light peat note that is pleasent, i could actually like it a bit stronger myself, some caramel toasted malt.
The body is a bit thin for what i would want in the style, bring up the body a bit by adding a bit more peat and roasted/caramel malts and this would be really good i think, just a bit light for me, but it does make it very approachable.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. A batch code is printed on the bottle just below the label, but there is no freshness date.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is medium/deep caramel heading toward brown. A pathetic pour yielded pathetic head: one-finger of eggshell-colored head dissipated quickly to leave a thin skim and ring around the edge.

Smell: Very enticing sweet candy caramel and toffee. There is also cocoa, a little smoked malt, and something distinctly Scottish, which I suppose is peat.

Taste: It starts sweet with the caramel and toffee but then the smoked malts and peat take over, giving it a complex, deep, earthy essence that lingers on the back of the tongue and uvula.

Drinkability: Scotch in beer form. Needless to say, I like the beer form the best right now. Very solid, tasty, and drinkable brew.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

poured from bottle in to pub glass.
A - dark in color, with slight golden tinge on the outside of the glass. Quite a bit of head at first pour, that dissapates quickly. Some lacing present.
S - Coyingly sweet smelling, with some roast and a little bit of toffee.
T - solid, nothing spectaculiar at first, solid made brew. This is not my favorite style, but I can tell this is a decent brew.
M - easy to drink, no issues. Nice carbonation.
O - Very solid brew, not one I would seek out, but it is one I appreciated drinking.

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Attractive red/amber hue with a thin white head. Nice clarity although retention is not great.
S: Bold caramel malt with some underlying peat and fruity yeast.
T: Starts off with sweet, with apple/pear flavors, a moment of caramel and then moves to a heavy peated flavor. The peat smokyness is overpowering and prolonged, carrying from middle through the slightly dry finish. Peat is heavy to the degree that it is somewhat difficult to appreciate the other flavors.
M: Medium-bodied with soft carbonation. Well done.
The makings of a nice beer are here, but the peat is overdone for my preferences. I have enjoyed most Brau beers up to this point, but will probably skip past this one in the future.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

This installment of from Brau Bros pours a nice looking dark amber to mahogany color with a few centimeters of head. Grainy toasted malt in the nose. The peat wafts about. This trend continues on the palate. Lots of smooth malt. The peat adds an earth, nutty, smokey flavor. This is an easy drinking, tasty beer.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a dark red/mahogany
nice head if you pour it right.
nice smokey peat nose
the flavors come out as the beer warms up. this is one beer that definatly gets better as it gets warmer. I prefer to have it at about 50-60 degrees to really get the most out of it
smooth mouthfeel
overall, one of my favorites from the brothers
I always look forward to picking up a rack or two when I pass close enough to the brewery

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC