Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

braubrothersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by jera1350 on 03-05-2011

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

Ruby coloured ale. Peat smoke, burnt sugar and fruity yeast in the nose. Immediate smokey peat flavour, sweet caramel and light roast follow. Finishes bitter sweet. I really like this beer. It's defenetly peaty, with a surprising hoppy bitter finish.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper colour, thin layer of head with decent retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Bold peat notes off the top, nice caramel undertones and leafy greens and peppery spice on the finish.

T - The smokey peat notes dominate with a solid caramel malt backbone. The peat notes linger alongside some leafy green hop notes and a light peppery finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - A bold flavoured ale that boasts a solid smokey peat flavour profile. Easy drinking and nicely balanced. A tasty brew that represents the style nicely and is well worth seeking out.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a 14-ounce tumbler. Effusive, almost uncontrollable head rose up out of the glass. Perhaps fermentation wasn't complete or conditioning was excessive, but the beer has way to much effervescence. Head is rocky, persistent. Brew is amber, slightly cloudy.

Malt and peat oils predominate in the smell. Nice aroma for the type. Taste is slightly sour, with a big malt presence and obvious alcohol.

Overall, a nice try except for the foam. I almost had to keep it from shooting out of the bottle when I opened it. Not right.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red amber color with a small layer of off white head. The head quickly fades to a ring around the edge of the pour.

Smell: Sweet malt with some dark fruit and mild smoke. I'm definitely picking up some peat in the mix too.

Taste: Quite smooth. Lots of dark fruit malt, but the overall taste isn't too sweet. The peat is there, but it doesn't dominate everything. Some smoke and the finish is sweet with a touch of peat.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was quite interesting. Lots of depth and complexity. I would have another.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Amber-brown with nice sized off-white head and light lacing.

Smell: Peat, toffee, and dark fruit. Simple but pretty nice.

Taste: Strong smoky peat over a layer of semi-sweet malts. Toffee, caramel, dark fruit, cherry and floral hops all play a nicely balanced role. Well, at least it is nicely balanced other than the peat.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium body. Finish isn't quite dry enough for me.

Overall: Very nice Scotch Ale. I like the peat focus, but wish that just a few more of those residual sugars had been gobbled up. Light years better than the old Brau Brothers Scotch Ale.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

Haven't met many Braus I don't like and this is a mighty fine Scotch.

Poured a brilliant reddish brown into a snifter that allowed me to breathe in the deliciously sweet malts. A hint of the burntish peat. It's amazing! Taste is spot on and is that of sweet dark malts with touch of deep roasted barley.

Very drinkable. I bought a sixer and could sit here and drink them all. Very good job.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC