Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rye Wyne Ale | Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC
Minnesota, United States
braubrothersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

One of the few small grains still grown in Southwestern Minnesota, malted rye is the base for this one-of-a-kind ale brewed and aged in tiny Lucan, Minnesota.Following a long, slow fermentation, the beer is stored away in used rye whiskey barrels brought North from our friends at Templeton, located in the equally tiny town of Templeton, Iowa.

Added by jera1350 on 04-08-2012

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

The beer expert at John's Grocery said this was the best beer he had in the store. How could I refuse? Besides that Templeton Rye barrells... This is a 2011 version and I am pretty sure this is the first release of this beer.

Pours a dark brown with hints of light going through this. I figured a high ABV and aged beer would need some head coaxing. WRONG. Great creamy head and lace.

Nose is alchohol, vanilla, bourbon.

Taste: Vanilla, lots of vanilla, bourbon, boozy, caramel, hops. The hops have been blended into the total mix. This is less hoppy than I thought. This is a barleywine to end all barleywines. I am agreeing with the Beer Guy.

Mouth feel is creamy and slightly carbonated. Once again, near perfection.

Overall, this blows away all strong barleywines, rye beers I have had. Truly exceptional beer. As the years go by, I give less 5 ratings for taste. This one deserves it.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Brought a vintage 2011 bottle to a family Christmas party to share. It was a huge hit. We were smoking cigars and had just split a bottle of Bolt Cutter so my palate wasn't in perfect shape but I will do my best to review it here.

A. Beautiful dark amber with a slightly red and rosy hue. Forms a small but substantial head.

S. Gives a strong aroma of sweet caramel, vanilla, bourbon, and a slight hint of rye.

T. Sweet, boozy, and flavorful. Not harsh or overwhelming but packs a lot of caramel and bourbon flavors with a nice vanilla finish. A very refined flavor, possibly from the year of age on it.

M. Smooth. Not syrupy or thick at all but coats the palate. Slightly carbonated and easy to drink.

Overall: An awesome beer. I will be seeking this out again but my local store is now sold out.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

A- brown to slightly amber with off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

S- spicy rye with whiskey in the front. Some slight oak and vanilla.
T- rye spice with whiskey and vanilla next. Caramel and toffee too. Lots going on here but it goes very well together.

M- creamy, mouth filling body. Very nice.

O- very good beer. I don't really what to compare it to, but I hope I can get my hands on another bottle.

Rye Wyne Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC