Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc | Brasseries Kronenbourg

Style: Witbier

Added by wl0307 on 09-03-2005

Reviews: 109 | Ratings: 454
3.91/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Has a sharp, piney smell and a cloudy look with lots of carbonation. Has a nice bready, fruity taste with a spicy finish...pretty tasty beer...I like it because its different from the American beers I usually drink...

4.48/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first review here...
Have to say, many reviewers have better language skills than I and described the complexities better than I could, and accurately.
I piked this beer up today because, as an old school typographer and ad man, I found the packaging to be beautifully done. I bought it with the expectation, based on the description, that my wife would really like it.
I was correct... and surprised. I love it, this stuff is beautiful!
Very clean and light feeling, nice blend of citrus flavors with high notes of peach, but real peach. No lingering aftertaste, no bitterness, very PLEASANT to quaff, refreshing to say the least. Great flavor, not "beery" or bitter (and I like IPA's).
I'm off to buy a case...

3.96/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My neighbor who is a witbier fan loves this bier and donated a bottle. It is a good witbier, heavily flavored with fruit. There is abundant apricot and lemon which overpower any hop or yeast flavors. My wife, also a witbier fan, also loved this beer. Personally, I prefer the U.S. version, Blue Moon, to this heavily flavored concoction.

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A fairly good French witbier. Widely available in the European Union. This is one of my regular during hot summer days and evening... plus it's cheap in France a la votre !

3.99/5  rDev +15%

Poured from the tap into a 20 OZ mug. The appearance is a hazy light yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy citrus with some spice and a slight maybe yeast smell. The taste is all citrus and a wee bit sour. A real good. beer.

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 05/11/16:

A nice, milky pale yellow, just barely clear. Head is fine, foamy, and off-white. It retains fairly well and as it dissipates leaves attractive ringlets of lace. Grain, honey, floral hops, and of course, orange peel and spices, these last two soon the strongest. Very citrus forward, both orange and lemon, but also quite perfumey. But different from the hop perfuminess you get in certain American craft selections. Could be more cucumber-like or grassy hops. Could be the spices. More distinct spiciness in aftertaste, though still light compared to everything else. Light- to medium-bodied, though hard to tell with how creamy and sloshy this carbonation is, though prickly as well. Delicious and refreshing. From a fun blue bottle to a sort of stunted weiss glass.

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Anyone who rated the looks badly doesnt know what a wit looks like because this is on point. It poured a hazy straw color with 3 fingers of bubbly white head, Carbonation seems pretty lively too.

Aroma - Lemon seems to be the most prominent smell here, then I get orange peel, coriander, some light mango, and a pale malt that I wouldnt call bready, more crackery, average smelling wit, its alright but nothing special.

Taste - Lemon and a very light orange peel are the most up front flavors here, it is a lemonade type lemon not overly sour. then theres some mango and melon, lots or coriander spicing up the back end, and some light pale malts.

Feel - This beer has a superlight watery body with sharp carbonation which gives it a real soda water feel to it. light and fizzy is where I think wits should be however I think it should have just a little less sharpness.

Overall - This is a very light beer with a sweet upfront taste and light spice on the end, I Think the sweet fruity flavors and light body give it a nice summertime appeal. I would enjoy this while sitting on a terasse on a sunny day in the middle of the city. Cheers!

3.24/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A good pint for a hot summer day. Put a slice of orange in it and it completely changed the experience (for the better). Personal tip - mix half & half with Somersby Apple Cider.

4.04/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bright yellow, very hazy. Poured aggressively and got a strong 2 finger head that lasted for a few minutes.

Smells very light, with most of the aroma being citrus. Lemon is not mentioned on the bottle but it is present in the aroma. Orange and coriander both present here as well.

Taste is as the smell suggests, with a light but very pleasant taste. The coriander is there. The orange is there. Perhaps even some banana. Very enjoyable. I can, and have, happily consumed at least a 6 pack of this in a night on more than one occasion.

Mouth feel and carbonation are spot on for the style.

I am originally from a small town in Northern Ontario with a very limited selection of good beer in the LCBO, but this has been a mainstay in the store for some time now. This is a repeat purchase for me whenever I return home. While this beer is more geared towards warmer weather, it is still a great winter or any time beer as well.

4.12/5  rDev +18.7%

L: A nice creamy centimeter of head formed after a vigorous pour, and retained itself for a few good minutes. The beer is a creamy straw color, with significant turbidity. The detailed lines of my fingers cannot be distinguished through my glass as I could with a crystal clear beer. This beer is nicely effervescent and bubbles nice and slowly. All and all, I was originally a bit off put by the turbidity, but seeing through that, I find that this beer is very well composed.
S: After pouring, I smelled the bottle. I initially was hit with a strong skunky smell that was quite pungent. This beer is packed with aromatics. Complex esters and fruity flavors shine through quite strongly. Again, I was off put originally by the strength of the aroma, but find that there is a lot going on here. The bottle label states that it has orange and coriander added to it, and they do take presence on the nose. If you're into beer with a bit of funk, this one will likely draw your interest.
T: This beer is quite sweet, and the coriander immediately appears. The flavor is quite floral, almost rosey. Tastes like I'm standing in a flower garden in the spring. There is a lot of complexity in the flavor, and I am very impressed. One thing I wasn't quite fond of is that glucose syrup was listed as an ingredient, but I find no offense with that after tasting.
F: Nice and lightly sticky-sweet. I really enjoy it.
O: Overall, I had very low expectations for this beer. I had never heard of it before, and thus had no previously biased opinion about it. I just tried it for the sake of trying something new. That said, I would definitely reach for this beer again if I were in the mood for a delicious summery beer.

2.18/5  rDev -37.2%

Had it on tap at a Vegas bar. It was a cloudy yellow color with a two finger head. Smelt rather fruity. The taste is where it all went wrong, had flavors like a lemon and peach yogurt. Yes I said yogurt. Exchanged for another beer.

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Review written from notes from last week. Last of the three bottles I picked up from the local beer/wine store earlier this month. No bottling date that I can find, so I have no idea how old this one is.

Pours pale, semi-hazy yellow; once in the glass it's more of a golden color and VERY hazy, basically impossible to see through without the help of a flashlight. With a light I can see that there's a good number of rising bubbles. Decent little bit of white foam on top at first, shrinking to a thin cap with a few thicker patches in a few minutes.

Upon first opening the bottle and pouring, I got a little whiff of almost skunky hops... but once in the glass, this goes away instantly. All I can smell at this point is, interestingly enough, peaches! Smells *really* good, though not especially "beery."

Taste is mostly peachy, too -- peaches right away, then a sweetness blending in, maybe the tiniest hint of grassy/spicy hops(?) but they are barely present. It's pretty light overall, but the peachy flavor is definitely the most noticeable one. Maybe a little sweetish breadiness in there too, sort of reminding me of white bread. I am noticing a bit of that spicyish thing in burps this time, oddly enough.

Light and super-drinkable. It's hard not to take big ol' gulps; there's not really that "prickly" carbonation that makes some beers harder to drink quickly, and it also doesn't feel thick or heavy (or on the other end of the mouthfeel "scale," watery) at all. I could easily drink two or three of these, between the feel lending itself so well to drinking multiples and of course the nice peachy smell/taste.

Overall, this is a fairly simple but interesting beer -- "peachy French witbier in a blue bottle" pretty much describes it. I'm actually kinda wishing I'd gone for a full six-pack rather than just three; this will definitely be a beer I revisit in the future if I can find it again.

3.02/5  rDev -13%

Pours a pearly white head with hazy orange body. The scent is very orangey, yet not very wheat based or anything. The taste is again heavy on orange juice, low on beer. Feel is fine, but that doesn't save the beer.

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, gold color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of citrus, coriander, pale malt, sweet malt, and a hint of hops. Fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus, coriander, pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of hop, and a hint of yeast. Overall, good appearance, aroma, decent feel, and decent body. Truthfully, much better than I was expecting.

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very floral almost perfume-y flavor...

Good for that American Market that wants Blue Moon or a slice of orange in their beer...

Tastes kinda like bubblegum....

Not what you would expect from a French beer, but they are going for that chain restaurant "imitation craft beer market"....and this does that...

4.95/5  rDev +42.7%

This is truly France's greatest product. While yes, they well known for their wines... (even though California wines are rated so much better apparently) and I am really happy to say that they do great with this beer too. It has a FANTASTIC taste.. it doesn't taste like a beer, it tastes more like you are drinking a dessert over an actual wheat beer. Kronenbourg 1664 is definitely the toast of France!

4.13/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A 330ml blue bottle with a best before date of April 2016 and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a hazy straw yellow with a slightly more than one finger white head that dissipates within a minute leaving stringy lacing.

Aroma: Fruity aromas of orange, banana and peach with honey floating about and a light citrusy lemon wheat backbone.

Taste: Flavours are mainly peachy with hints of fruity lemon, banana and apricot.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: Light, crisp and very easy to drink. It is refreshing on a hot summers day with the nice peachy flavours.

3.42/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is very hazy yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation near the edge of the glass. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface, a collar around the edge, and some lacing down the sides.
S: Moderate aromas of sweet green apple candy are present in the nose, which somewhat resemble a Jolly Rancher.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of green apples, but there is no sweetness and hints of spices and pale malts.
M: It feels light-bodied and a touch watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink, but the green apple candy-like aromas and flavors seem like they are artificial.

3.77/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy yellow color with small white head. Sweet aroma of citrus, spices. Flavor is medium to high sweet, light bitter. Aftertaste is short and malty.

4.8/5  rDev +38.3%

The smell of the beer is the best and the most sophisticated I've ever smelled. Smell of tangerine, peach and pineapple hit the nose. The water they use is so pure and filtered, like they made an entire beer with Brita water. It's so smooth and so delicious, and this is coming from a heavier abv beer drinker. Absolutely amazing!

3.82/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Great Divide cervoise glass.

Look: A cloudy sunburnt lemon yellow colored body holds up a fizzy white head that recedes to a bubbly wisp. A few bands of foamy lacing remain.

Aroma: When I first poured it in the glass, it smell like a skunk. Oh no! But after it settles, it smells like a radler -- a nice soft scent of orange zest and lemon peel. Underneath the citrus there's a very mellow wheat body.

Taste: The beer starts off with the citrus combination of both orange and lemon zest - it's a very soft taste, not like bitter rind or something. As the citrus fades away there's a more typical witbier body but very subdued. Wheat, grains, and subtle yeast.

Mouthfeel: Vibrant, kind of bubbly like a soda or carbonated fruit drink.

Overall: Thought I might hate it after the initial whiff of skunk, but it bounced back and is quite refreshing. Tastes more like a railer than a fruity witbier, but it was worth the one bottle. I suppose on a hot summer evening I could drink more than one.

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a hazy lemon yellow with a 1/2" white head that recedes to a ring around the glass and a thin irregular layer of foam over most of the liquid. Sipping leaves a sheet of foam on one side of the glass and a wide swath of patchy and speckled lacing on the other. Most of the lacing clings to the glass.

The aroma is very faint but seems lightly citric (lemony?) with a faint hint of coriander. Neither strong nor unpleasant but a bit "thin."

The flavors seem to be slightly citric (lemony), delicately spiced and lightly tart. There is also some light sweetness from the grains.

The feel is on the light side and the carbonation is slightly prickly and persistent. The finish is medium long and everything just fades slowly away into light dryness with a touch of tartness that invites another sip.

The key to this beer is "delicate." There are no strong flavors and no strong aromas so if that's what you are looking for, pass this one by. While there are other Witbiers I prefer (e.g, the Allagash or the St. Bernardus) this one would be a good one to have for a party where folks will be attending who say they don't like hops or don't like beer and where the focus is on enjoyment of conversation and a summer evening on the back porch.

3.04/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had decided that for the moment, I am going to be French. I have a bottle of Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc and brie on bread. From a blue(!) 330 ml bottle, on to the beer:

The beer looks like pee yellow in a glass with a cloudy body and a few visible bubbles in the body. An inch of soapy head forms on top, slowing dropping away to a lace. However, the beer does kick up a lacing which retains around the glass. There's some confusion in the aroma. I get a note of orange and coriander, and also a stink of spicy hops. Without the stink, my mouth would be watering.

A big bite of orange hits the palate upfront. Fruity pebbles? It reminds me of Leinenkugel's version which is very fruity. Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc is similar and very fruity as well. I don't get much spice, the beer is ligh tand slightly creamy, and easy going down.

Decent beer, possibly for those who don't drink beer very much. Personally, I still prefer the original Kronenbourg 1664.

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

On tap, poured into a shaker. The aroma is a mellow, creamy banana, with vanilla and a grassy note. It pours a murky banana pale with a dense, white foam head and good retain. The beer is a medium sweetness. The beer is light creamy and smooth with flavors of light lemon, grass, banana, and vanilla with a finish that's clean and grassy with a light spice and leaves and aftertaste of clove.

3.4/5  rDev -2%

Yes, yes, I’ve been neglectful in updating my blog again... life and all that... anyway I have (behind the scenes in RL) been drinking the occasional new beer here and there whilst keeping notes on my phone, so here is my review of Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc! I also just realised that I somehow haven’t yet reviewed Kronenbourg 1664 Regular, a surprising omission given its popularity as France’s biggest export beer, oh well another review for another day, now it’s time to get my Blanc on.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Presents a hazed straw body with a thin white head... not bad, not great, just a typical Witbier here, move along [said in the style of a police officer]. 6/10.

S: Hmmm, wit(t)y with classic Wit aromas (hints of orange peel and coriander), honey and peaches give it an intriguing new slant before a granular Lager malt chimes in to suggest this may just be a mixture of regular Kronenbourg 1664 and a Witbier done on the sly and with as little effort as possible from the Strasbourg brewery. 6/10.

T: Again with those peaches, which are prominent throughout btw, I’m not personally a big fan of peaches but I do appreciate that Kronenbourg aren’t just rehashing a Hoegaarden-clone. There are definitely some grainy Lager malts reminiscent of original 1664 (review forthcoming!) with a hint of lemon in the finish, which is quite refreshing and lifts this brew from averageocrity (a portmanteau of ‘average’ and ‘mediocrity’ in case you hadn’t worked it out) to allrighteousness (you get the jist). 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a medium carbonation. The body is good, heavier than most other Wits. 8/10.

D: And here’s the soundbite: “A refreshing and decent summer beer deserving of any BBQ/backyard cricket* combo.” I will bide my time through the chilling Canberra winter to imbibe this brew next summer, oh yes. 7/10.

Food match: BBQ stuff... prawns, fish, bits of beef fried on a hot plate, etc.

*A custom in Australia that involves a bizarre ritual where a family member slings a tennis ball at a garbage bin whilst another family member attempts to hit it with a an odd flat piece of 2 by 4 willow across the backyard (but not over the fence into the neighbour’s yard which is “out”).

Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc from Brasseries Kronenbourg