Black Flag Imperial Stout | Beer Valley Brewing Co.

Black Flag Imperial StoutBlack Flag Imperial Stout

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I saw this one at the store and grabbed it despite the hefty price tag ($8.50). It was one of those beers I've never seen anywhere before, so the WTF Factor kicked in and I got it.

Unlike a lot of other reviewers, I had no problem coaxing a huge head out of this beer. It poured a jet-black, almost-but-not-quite syrupy liquid (the viscosity of it is up there for sure) with plenty of head into a 22-oz mug I bought at WalMart for the purpose of doing bombers. The mug has served me well, and this beer looks great in it: no light comes through, despite holding it up to the window and almost trying to force sunlight through! The head on this IStout was almost too much; I was expecting very little (even less since it was a fairly easy pour), but it surprised me and almost foamed past the edges of the glass. The retention is great, too, as it' still got about a half-inch of head even halfway through the well-laced mug.

The smell is...different. It's not like what I'd associate with other IStouts I've tried. Think something along the lines of pine tar and I think you'd be close. I could faintly detect some kind of fruits; I think one reviewer put it best when he mentioned "rum-soaked raisins." It smells pretty good overall, and I think you could probably get a bit of a buzz just sniffing this stuff.

The taste is...excellent. It's got a piney note to it (thinking that must be the hops), and you can definitely taste the roasted coffee quality (must be the malts). I can get faint chocolate notes in the after-taste, too, along with the alcohol. A weird taste, kinda like an orange smacked into a pine tree, is showing up in the after-taste, too; I found this a bit off-putting at first, but it's definitely growing on me as I drink more.

I find the taste category to be inextricably linked to mouthfeel, and this beer is spot-on: it's thick, lightly-carbonated (despite the huge head), and easily quaffable. The alcohol seems fairly high (just over 11% ABV), and it's definitely there, giving an awesome warming effect. I served this thing cold (warming up a bit as I write this), and the hops were definitely there. It could stand to age a bit to mellow those same hops a tad, but I have no complaints.

Drinkability...definitely drinkable, but I don't think I'd session it. The high ABV makes it hard to throw back more than 2 of these; more than that, and I'd be in trouble :) Overall, an excellent beer, and I'd go for it again (despite the painful pricetag).

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

large bottle into red Dixie cup

A - Head looked nice and yummy, falling into a malty brown for a long, enjoyable pour, dark lacing into the sides of the cup

S - Smoke, burnt oak, chocolate, coffee, hops, caramel

T-M - Malty smoked chocolate brew, deep flavor, hoppy to the max, raisins perhaps within dark coffee swill. Super tasty stout.

D - Really enjoyed this one; extremely drinkable; I look forward to grabbing this one again sometime.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ive had this beer in the cellar for about 6-8 months now and figure with a slight chill in the air it is a good time to drink it.
Pouring at cellar temp into a snifter.
The beer pours a pitch black hue with 3 inches of creamy tan head foaming up and creating a deep spongelike layer in my glass. The aroma is apparent from across the desk with some dark fruit, plums raisins wisping across. Plus I get some roasted malt notes and hints of molasses and chocolate as well. Fairly complex and robust nose on this one!
The first sip reveals a fizzy and lighter than expected body with a slightly sticky texture to the beer. The flavor is malt and booze from the start with molasses, coffee grounds, and plums mixing and letting some slightly astringent peppery alcohol on the finish. There is a little warming on the swallow and a lingering coffee bean flavor as well.
The beer is a sipper due to the booziness, but is well constructed and enjoyable. I am glad to have sampled this beer, just beware it is not for the faint of heart.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle picked up by shivtim. thanks, Paul! Pours thickly and massively black with a thin, poorly established head.

Huge nose with fruity dates, candied apricots and plums, and chocolate. smells boozy and huge and delicious. Amazing complex aroma, very exciting.

Taste doesnt quite live up to the great smell. Still tasty but missing the fruitiness. Astringent coffee and some dark chocolate. Alcohol well hidden. Creamy and sweet.

Full-bodied to syrupy in feel. Very thick and rich.

A nice beer that *smells* like the next dark lord, but doesn't hold up over the rest of the drinking experience.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz bottle poured into my shorty Double Bastard glass. Perhaps not the favored piece of glassware among the advocates, but I love sipping on my imperial stouts in this baby.

Appearance - As black as black can be. The head is of decent brown with inconsistent sized bubbles on one half of the head pour, while the other half is damn near perfectly smooth without any traces of bubbles.

Smell - The stalwart aspect of the brew right here. Absolutely beauteous with a strapping presence of caramel, chocolate, and roasted malt. I do not detect much in the way of coffee, as the 3 previously mentioned ingredients do all the speaking.

Taste - Very superb in the taste. The aforementioned smell is very much present and concurrent with the taste, as is the alcohol which is very intimidating for even the most extreme out there. What keeps me from giving the taste a higher rating is that a salt-like quality is in the finish (reminiscent to the Drake's Imperial Stout). But damn, they are so close to perfection with this stout and there is no denying that.

Mouthfeel - A tad bitter (which I consider good) and could perhaps use a bit more smoothness to it. The salt-like taste also keeps the mouthfeel from earning a bit higher of a rating. No complaints other than that.

Drinkability - For how present the alcohol is and the unfortunate salty aftertaste - this is very drinkable because the balanced taste and smell alone make up for any of the lesser qualities of this brew.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

Black/dark brown pour. Dark cream head that remained for quite a while. Lacing throughout the beer. Burnt and roast malts, baker chocolate aromas. Almost creamy mouthfeel, but enough bittering coffee and hops to keep it a bit more lively than creamy. Tastes similarly with very roasty malt and coffee. Some chocolate and very little dark fruit and charcoal. Quite full bodied. Alcohol very well hidden. Very good example of the style, without add ons like barrel aging.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with FlacoAlto (thanks!).

Poured a black color with brown edges and a small sized tan head. Aromas of chocolate, roast, light coffee and I was getting some orange peel. Tastes of chocolate, roast, some dark fruits, coffee, and vanilla. Light alcohol in the finish.

Notes from 8/21/07

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I never had actually tasted this beer, but had seen it a few times on Bevmo.com. But over this past weekend I got to have a taste and actually talked with the brewer while I was at the "Hops Beer Tasting of Las Vegas" inside the Planet Hollywood Casino.

First thing I noticed was the label on the bottle, which was proudly displayed as a flag behind the booth. It certainly is a fitting description of what you would expect from the beer.

Pours very dark and syrupy with a tan head. Not as much of a smell as you would expect, mostly dark malts and chocolate. Taste was great. At first I didn’t expect the hops to be as prominent as they were with the initial taste, but they weren’t so overwhelming that you can’t recognize all of the malt. Coffee, dark chocolate and maybe a hint of caramel with a good dry finish. Mouthfeel not quite as good as the taste but not bad either. No carbonation that I could since, always a plus.

Overall my favorite beer from the whole event. Sadly there weren’t many micro brews there to choose from. I will be recommending this to anybody who’s a fan of an American Double or high ABV beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A pitch brown-black color with a giant tan foamy head and lots of chunks left lining the glass. The aroma is a nice malted milkshake with coffee and toffee ideas. Love it. The flavor brings out the same chocolate malt sweetness but now I pick up quite a bit of licorice bitterness blended in nicely as well. This is a very smooth, slightly resinous, mid-plus bodied brew. Silky. Coffee is present as in the aroma and mild ideas of citrus hop. It's drinkable enough but I think it has a little too much alcohol to go crazy. All and all this is definitely a smooth and flavorable stout, sure to please.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours solid black with a small brown head.

It smells slightly sour. I get a smooth citrus hoppy smell. I also get a slight roasted coffee smell and a bit of a dark chocolate smell. There is also a mild sweet malt smell.

It tastes of smooth citrusy malt: mostly orange flavored. I get a bit of a chocolate and roasted coffee smell. There is a very strong bitter aftertaste. This is very malt heavy with strong roasty notes but there is also a strong hop present. It is a pretty smooth beer.

There is a low carbonation to the beer. There is a somewhat smooth and creamy mouthfeel to the stout.

Overall a great smooth hoppy imperial stout. It goes down quite smooth when considering how high it is in alcohol.

4.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler from Albertsons. CO2 fill pours out with a fast rising, creamy beige head that stays fluffy throughout. Dark roast grains and bitter chocolate dominate the aroma. Taste follows with tons of roast grain bitterness. A hint of alcohol warmth at the finish, but mostly bitter. Top notch RIS.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Got from OakedCanuck in my Secret Santa...sweetness! Been wanting to try this one out..shared with Supernova777.

A- Pours a nice deep dark brown color. One and a half finger tan head shows medium retention. Very light streaky lacing on the glass itself.

S- Tons of citrus hops in the front of this. Actually if you hold it close to your nose this is about all you can pick up. Hold it farther back and roasted malts along with some nice bitter chocolate notes come out in the backing.

T- Roasted malts come out first of course with some light bitter chocolate notes. The middle of this beer has a coffee like roasted bill to it along with that damn chocoalte note (acutally it was nice). Ending was yet more of the chocoalte note with some light roasted and a huge citrus hop bite to it that lingers along with a light alcohol flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Roasted malts and chocolate left on the palate. Aftertaste is alcohol heat, chocoalte malt, and light faint citrus hops. This was a very well balanced imperial stout which is hard to find balance wise. Clean and crisp flavors. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This was a nice drinking stout. The ABV was very well hidden on it. I could have drank this entire beer myself no problem but I suppose sharing means caring right? Next time though I won't bring it!

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a pitch black, motor oil color. It is hardly carbonated at all, a few lonely bubbles mar the shiny surface. Aromatic notes of burnt prunes, port, alcohol, concentrated malt, figs, . Something akin to a green, almost vegetal note is also here, actually it is probably a green apple note. The aromatic finish is dominated by the ample malt notes; black coffee, burnt caramel, chocolate malt balls and toffee are found towards the end if you dig for it underneath the up front aromatics.

Wow this beer is much more viscous and thick than I was expecting. Sweet malt notes are ample, yet are quite well held in check by the alcohol and roasted notes. The beer finishes with a touch of astringent burnt grain husk and a bit of a chalky notes. The finish has a solid hop bitterness to it that, while not overwhelming, helps to balance the sweet malt character and lingers on in the long finish. The beer is still a bit green around the edges; green apple notes and a lack of carbonation are certainly noticeable. This beer leans more towards the chocolate side of the dark grain spectrum, but still does have a nice, supporting burnt grain character that is especially more noticeable towards the finish. Burnt fruit notes of prunes, raisins and figs are quite noticeable up front.

The lack of carbonation certainly hurts this beer, though being an Imperial Stout it can certainly handle the loss much better than most styles. The longer I sip away this 22oz bottle the more I come to appreciate the balance that this beer strikes. Smooth and mellow (well as mellow as a 11.5% beast can be) with a striking chocolate character that is just balanced by a subtler, yet more aggressive roasted grain notes. Certainly black and silky, sexy even and that is certainly not something I would have guessed during the first third of this beer. This is a beer that definitely benefits from a sample size of at least 16oz. This may certainly be a bit much to ask for from a Imperial Stout, but this one needs it and I don't necessarily think that the alcohol is the one doing the talking here (though that certainly does not hurt).

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours dark and thick. Breathing in chocolate and roast and C-hops. The drink is lunch itself and so very dangerously drinkable. The throast is coated with coconut and oatmeal, roast and some chocolate and coffee. The hops are there and provide some delightful citrus but altogether undistinguishable. Full mouthfeel. Very good IS.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

This is what this beer was like when I drank it. I can only compare it to an experience that I had once.
This goes back to high school. I was rolling around naked with this girl and she was so so hot. She wrestled me down to the bed and slapped the shit out of me, right across my face. I was so stunned and turned on at the same time that I just went crazy.

This beer has a great pour, a dark brown pour and what really sells the overall look is the brown head. My personal pour only came to about half a finger with a very aggressive pour. I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE SPECIAL HOP VERSION OR NOT.

The smell is of liquor, hops, bitter chocolate, awesomeness.

When I first tasted this specific brew it was like getting slapped right across the face. For me the alcohol was one of the first things that I tasted and it just warmed up my entire body. The next thing that I tasted was a bittersweet chocolate and coffee flavor, but really the alcohol really takes over.

The mouth feel is amazing, like drinking a really good stout, because it is a really good stout.

I like drinking stouts on cool winter nights. This beer makes me feel warm and excited. I love Imperial Stouts because they are so strong.

Overall a good beer. If I see it in the store I will buy another one. I will never drink two back to back, they would just overwhelm me. Good brew for a cold night.

j

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle brought back from Las Vegas by a lady in April.

A: Mostly black with a hint of brown around the edges. A half finger of mocha head with some lacing.

S: A nice mix of chocolate and toffee. A little bit of booze as well.

T: Sweetness and chocolate up front. Tons of roasted malt. It really does not have anything to stand out and make it remarkable but it is a nice beer.

M: Full body with a syrupy body. Sticks to the back of your throat.

D: Not a bad drinker at all. The ABV is an anvil but splitting a bottle was easy enough. If you can grab it I would recommend picking up a bottle.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%

Black in color, but lacks head retention and lacing which brings this down quite a bit. Smell was burnt and roasty, some chocolate as well. My notes also say the nose was a bit boozy. Taste was roasty, chocolate-y, and has a bit of booze to it as well. I think I recall this one being even downright charred; which was surpisingly good, IMO. Thick mouthfeel, which I love for imperial stouts, but with a little more carbonation this could be great. I rather enjoyed my sample, and I think age would certainly benefit this one quite well, and a little more carbonation would sure help to. I'd get this again given the chance.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%

poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A- dark black with a small medium brown head that dissipates quickly.

S- excellent. the best aspect of the beer. roasted chocolate and malts with a slight hint of coffee.

T- A very good example of the style. the roasted chocolate and malt flavors definitely stand out. The 11% abv is easily perceptible but not in a bad way. a roasty, chocolate with alcohol aftertaste. the second half of the bottle i started to notice an increasingly strong licorice taste. it seemed weird but it definitely added to the complexity and my enjoyment of it.

M- Very thick and full-bodied. smooth on the palate but a little less so going down.

D- like most all stouts, and certainly most imperials, this is a beer that you probably wont want to drink more than one or two of in a sitting. very filling and very warming.

i would certainly recommend trying out this stout, and putting one away to age for awhile.

Black Flag Imperial Stout from Beer Valley Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 67.4% out of 100 with 233 ratings