Lionshead Pilsner | Lion Brewery, Inc.

Lionshead PilsnerLionshead Pilsner

Lion Brewery, Inc.
Pennsylvania, United States
lionbrewery.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by psugrad98 on 11-01-2002

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

my friend richard's parents brought a 6 from PA, yay

12oz to mug, pours a golden shade like bmc, head fades quick, higher carbonation

smells of corn mostly, sweet

taste is similar to miller high life, not a bad thing at all. higher carbonation, crispy sweet with a dry finish. nothing special.

my favorite part about this beer is the design, the 6 pack handle has finger holes like brass knuckles sort of. totally hardcorey looking branding, nice unique half label, looks very nice for a regular bmc-ish beer.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Tasted blind courtesy of neorunner, thanks again!

Pours a really clear yellow color with a faint white. Lots of bubbles making there way to the surface.

Aromas are of corn sweetness, minerals, and maybe a hint of hint of lemon, but not much else. It doesn't smell good or bad... I guess another three.

Taste is very crisp with hints of sweetness and hint of fruity syrup. What is it, maybe blueberry or strawberry... not sure really. Finish is kind of dry, but not much going on. Ehhh...

Mouthfeel is ok, with slight body, and some crispness.

Well, this seems like a fruity macro lager, it's not horrible, but not really good either. I guess it would be a bit refreshing on a warm day, plus it goes down pretty east, but other than that, this has few redeeming qualities.

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Like many reviewers, I picked up a case of this based on price, in my case (har) at a Bottle King in NJ...I had never heard of it nor seen it in NY or NJ before. Unfortunately, the no-frills packaging was an accurate signal of the contents -- not horrible, but nothing I'd ever repeat. I'd love to find a great unsung American beer but this one doesn't do it...if you are in the PA vicinity best to go with Yuengling or even the better Penn offerings. Lionshead has an unpleasant alcohol-fortified aftertaste and is very thin on the palate. I'd like to say it's a good go-to budget offering but I can't given the many better options out there.

3.16/5  rDev +5.3%

A gift from my neighbor for picking up litter in front of his house. Served in a Russian River wine glass. Beer is dark yellow but clear with moderate carbonation, a big white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Beer's aroma is mildly sweet and has that almost malt liquor bite to it.

Beer is medium in body and mildly sweet on the onset. The finish is a little grainy but it's not too bad. Overall it's an easy drinking sessionable pilsner. I sort of enjoyed it. Free beer, right?

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

Now... I'm a huge fan of Lionhead. With that being said, my ratings are based on that fact.

Lionhead as a Pilsner... fails horribly in my opinion. Why would they even label it as such?

Lets be honest. For me, it's local (contract brewed, but why should that matter). It's cheap (around $13 a case). And it's just drinkable. It's light and refreshing. No frills here. Just cold and good when a dude is at his thirstiest.

4.07/5  rDev +35.7%

Lionshead will always be one of my favorite beers. I used to buy a case of bottles of this every Friday for a while from the local Beverage. The taste smooth for sure goes down like water. But it is somewhat filling, i could probly only put down about 12 of these in one night no more than that. But all in all its a good beer im proud to be from PA when I drink this beer. GO STEELERS!

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

$1 throw in at New Beer.

Pint glass pour. Leftovers still bubbling away in my stomach.

Mellow gold, weak whitewash head.

Stuffy grain, surprisingly pungent herbage, saltwater. Mossy earth &... butter?

Taste was steeped grains, Cheerios, sticky spilt lager, & middle of the road herbal hops. Glassy. Seems fresh. Less appealing adjuncts come through with time though. Drying, pale finish.

Feel is frothy, decently carbed(maybe a little rough), no butter, can't complain.

This beer isn't terribly filled of flaws, so why is everything they contract brew seem so awful?

2.34/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

a - Pours a very clear, transparent yellow-golden color with two inches of fluffy white head that do not last long and hig carbonation evident.

s - Smells of grain and bready malts. Not much else to it, and below average. Not horrible, but not very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of grain, bready malts, wheat, and very light sweet malts. Again, below average.

m - Light body and high carbonation.

d - A below average pilsner. Not awful, but nothing too enjoyable about it either. Some basic grain and bread in the smell and taste. Wouldn't seek out again, but better than some macros.

2.73/5  rDev -9%

A = Light pale gold color. Lighter than the average US Pilsner.

S = Hoppy sweetness, minimal character.

T = A refreshing light pilsner taste. Sweet with a hint of "old school" beer skunkiness that doesn't overpower or make the taste "bad".

M = Very light and carbonated but not over the top. Prett much what you'd expect.

D = Good choice for a summertime beer. A good choice if you're "lite beer" drinker as it has more character and taste the the average American Lite Pilsner.

This is a beer that your gramps and his pals would sit around and drink while swapping tales about the "big war". And I mean that as a compliment. Very straight forward "regular" pilsner, no muss no fuss.

2.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a light gold and has a very small head. Very easy beer to drink smells and tastes better than most "big named beers." Drinks like a light beer and tastes better than Bud and Miller. The price makes it worth it. There are also puzzles under the cap.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

I'm gonna reuse the shit outta that image! No just kidding. This beer is VERY good for it's price. $13 and change for an 18 pack of 16oz cans and it's better than other cheap college kid beers that I'm accustomed to drinking. About $15 for a 24 of 12oz bottles for you glass snobs. It doesn't have that piss water taste like natty (Natural Light for the older folks) and it doesn't have that "I think I'm gonna puke taste" like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon). Overall a smart purchase if you're looking for an easy to drink beer for social occasions but don't want to spend that much money. Plus you'll also stand out from the Bud Light/ Miller Lite crowd.

3/5  rDev 0%

Not a bad Pilsner.

Had from the bottle in a case a friend gave me. Really Vague in taste. Much more flavourful than miller light, but less then a craft pilsner. Barley, and grain malts were pretty much the taste through out, with a hop finish, goes down nice and smooth though, a noce light bodied pilsner for sure.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

Lionshead on draft was a pretty decent experience. I haven't had this beer before but it was clean, refreshing, and it hit the spot after a full dinner and some heavier beers earlier in the night. The beer was definitely a step up above the BMC crowd, and a really nice affordable option to have late in the night when you've already had 5 beers previously.

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours light gold and fairy clear. Lots of carbonation and some light head that fades pretty fast.

S - Pretty light smell of grain and a tiny hint of malt.

T - Malty and grainy for the most part. There is not much to taste outside those elements. A little bit sweeter than expected overall.

M - Fairly light, bordering on watery. Also, fairly carbonated.

D - Very smooth and light overall, so it is very easy to drink, and multiple in a sitting would not be the unreasonable in the least.

3.36/5  rDev +12%

I wonder why they decided to begin CANning this beer. I had it about a decade ago when I was coerced into buying a case from a friend who runs a distributorship. I quit taking his advice shortly thereafter. Oh well, The CANQuest (TM) has an obligation to try 'em all, especially (it seems) AALs.

Following the Crack & Glug, I was looking at a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with medium retention (it was fading, but not as quickly as its Rheingold brother). Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Yow, but this was brighter than bright! Nose was pretty standard for the style - a lager sweetness overlain by all of the adjuncts that they could throw into the kettle. Move along folks, nothing new here. Mouthfeel was medium with a fairly pleasant sweetness on the tongue. Frankly, this was MUCH better than what I had in a bottle. I have noted this in a number of previous clinkers, reinforcing my preference for CANned beer. Finish was also pleasant, slightly refreshing, not too bad. Now, would I take up cooler space with this? It would really depend on pricing. If it was as competitively priced as it is in bottles, then "Yes!", but if it is comparable to other CANned AALs, I would probably let it sit. Damning with faint praise once again, I suppose.

3.66/5  rDev +22%

Appearance: This might be the palest beer I've ever seen. Almost looks a bit like carbonated water with some yellow coloring. For me that's not a bad thing though. The overall combination of this look with the active carbonation and heavy white head and foam makes this pretty nice.

Smell: Nothing special here. Basically clean, beery grain. No problems.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More beery grain with a hint of sweetness as well. I actually kind of like this. Mouthfeel comes across a bit like soda, but is definitely an upgrade over cheap macro lagers.

Drinkability: I could definitely drink a few of these over an hour or two with zero issues.

Overall: A safe, easy alternative to macro lagers.

2.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Bought as part of a sampler case at beer outlet nearby. I found it to have a stable big head, clean appearance, negligible aroma, thin and not entirely pleasant flavor; sharply effervescent with a sweet metallic aftertaste. Not very refreshing. To be avoided. There are plenty of better pilsners.

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz.

Pours a light clear gold with sugar white head, dissipates to lacing pretty quick.

Smells of barley and mild malts.

Taste is of crisp barley malts. No real hop flavor. On the sweeter side but not quite corn sweet.

Tingly carbonation throughout.

Not a bad lager. I hate when these beers call themselves pilsners. This tastes nothing like a pils. Insofar as macro and macro-style American lagers go, though, its a better one. I'd take this over the big three any day.

3.54/5  rDev +18%

I pikced up a case of bottles over the weekend as a recomendation from a friend. I did not mind the $13 price, but I was thinking that it would be really bad at that price. I was releived that it was not at all that bad of a beer for the price. It is a beer that is more for guzzeling then savoring like some of the other I am used to. I thought that the carbonation was good and it had a good smell (it was not skunky). I liked this beer and I would buy it again.

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked this up recently because I never tried it before and I like a light beer like this in the Summer. Sure, this isn't going to win any awards, but like PBR and Miller High Life, this is a decent selection for someone who likes a cheaper feel without feeling cheap.

Textbook light hue and pour to this with nearly no lacing to be seen. If you like a malty taste with hints of biscuit and a potato chip-like starch aftertaste, then this will be right up your alley. Not a "bright" taste but certainly not watered-down either. When I picture a mass-market type Pils, this is pretty much what it would be like.

This would make a great session beer and had I bought more than one, I could have easily downed them all in a sitting. It doesn't have citrus or wheat notes or is watery enough to be a lawnmower beer but nevertheless, I'd have another one of these again if I wanted to enjoy a beer and not have to think about it too much!

2.94/5  rDev -2%

12oz can poured into pint glass.
Apperance is suprisingly good. Clear and golden with a ton of bubbles. Head is foamy and large with mild retention and quite a bit of lace. Smell is mild and has the adjunct beer smell. Palate is mostly sweet with corn and maybe a little caramel malt flavor. Very little by way of hops, just to balance a bit. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly with a fair amount of carbonation. Easy to drink and very refreshing. Not bad for an economy minded american pale lager.

2.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A- Straw golden and clear. High carbonation. 1" head. Some lacing. Right for a "deluxe pilsner".

S- Grains and small amount of caramel. Malt as well.

T- Not impressed. Not good but not bad. Can not taste anything significant but grains. Stale and a little bitter.

M- Watery.

D- Very high. Comparable to BMC but with a little higher quality. Could be a bad bottle, but even if not probably would not have changed much.

1.57/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours bright radioactive yellow with a huge, hyperactive head that drops away to nothing (and I mean nothing) in about a minute. Smells like wet cardboard and paint thinner. Tastes almost as good - solvent and honey with a strange sour finish and not a trace of hop character. The finish speaks of latex paint. This isn't even a good mass market beer. Avoid with great vigor.

3.59/5  rDev +19.7%

I live in a town thats right near the brewery for this beer. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw it in cans! I usually buy the bottles cause you can return them to the beer store and get a discount off your next case! But I chose can for my serving type cause its the most recent type I've had.

A: Its beer. Pours a medium gold with very little head.

S: A little rice and corn scent. Very pleasing but disappointing.

T: Very malty and corny but its very light. You can drink a whole can in one gulp.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: I can drink this all day. I still have some left in the fridge. Its not a go to beer but its a beer you'd drink if you had like 12 bucks and nothing better to do.

2.28/5  rDev -24%

Apparently this is a little bit of a big deal on the east coast. This was purchased as a single 12 ouncer, from a place in Indie where all the beers can be bought in singles. It was cheap enough and prominently enough displayed that it shouldn't have been too stale.

It doesn't taste stale, but it does taste off. About consistent with the reviews it's received. It's heavy for an adjunct, with the metal and veggie nodes more pronounced than what's typical (think old school Rolling Rock).

Barley and corn dominate everything. It's like canned hominy. At least part of that is from age, but age is unavoidable when you're dealing with a lowly esteemed regional beer outside of its homestate.

Tonight was a battle between this and Pabst and Pabst won in a landslide.

Lionshead Pilsner from Lion Brewery, Inc.