Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale | Lion Brewery, Inc.

good

Availability: Fall

Added by Buggies on 08-31-2011

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a brownish/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pumpkin, some spices. Taste is good, pumpkin forward, some spices, but not overpowering, flavorful and easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a fine example of this style.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.96/5  rDev +15.5%

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have made it my personal mission to review as many pumpkin beers (ales & lagers) as possible this year. I am now beginning to realize the foolhardy nature of this, but it is too late to turn back!

From the bottle: "Over 150 Years of Brewing Excellence"; "Brewed in the Honorable Tradition of Charles Stegmaier". The rebus under the cap was # 345, but I will not give you the answer unless you ask me for it. I HATE spoilers!

My pour brought me two fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention. Nose had muted spices and I am coming to realize that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I would prefer, in this style, that the entire spice rack NOT be dumped into the brew kettle! This was just about right in terms of the scent and its intensity. Color was a medium-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. I am having a beer brunch, followed by watching the Stillers via satellite at a local sports bar. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, but the flavors were just right. I felt like Goldilocks in Baby Bear's chair. I was getting cinnamon with hints of vanilla underlain by cloves and nutmeg. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use a light hand with the spices. Finish was semi-dry with the malt getting a chance to breathe as opposed to being choked off as in some iterations of the style.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale from Lion Brewery, Inc.