High Roller IPA | Big Boss Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by blackie on 02-02-2007

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out as a clear looking golden color, The head was white and had a pretty good retention and lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer has some light hoppy aromas but nothing too dominant. The malts come through more on the nose. The taste of the beer is malty upfront with a decent transition to the bitter finish. The hops do leave behind a nice subtle lingering flavor in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is drinkable, nicely carbonated and medium bodied. Overall it's a pretty standard IPA, I've had better and I've had worse.

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a slightly cloudy amber color with close to a finger of fluffy white head. There is some good retention and very nice lacing.

Smell: Very mild overall. There is a hint of malt with some citrus peel hops.

Taste: A nice balance of malt and hops. A touch of sweetness with some citrus peel hop bitterness. I'm also getting some sweet citrus fruit, maybe apricot.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light and fluffy carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, the balance and the contrast between the bitterness and the sweet citrus notes were very nice. I would have another.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice to get this beer now in Greensboro.Poured into a nonic a hazed burnt orange with a great one finger tightly formed head that left a broken ring of lace as it settled slowly.A nice mix of grapefruit hop notes and caramel malt in the nose,the hops win out but the malts make for good complexity.Not very bitter on the palate but you do have some sharpness from the grapefruit rind-like hops that are balanced with a bit of tangerine-like hop and slight resiny flavors ,a sweetish caramel base holds up well.A very well made local ipa in my mind,true to hoppy form but with a bit of a change up.

3.16/5  rDev -12.5%

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My buddy, Ian (no last names), was living in Charleston, SC for a while before relocating back up to the Northeast, but he knows my affinity for CANs & IPAs and when he heads south, he loads up to keep me happy. Am I happy? Hoppy! Thanks, Ian!

From the bottle: "Let It Ride, Baby! Cash Out! [check one box]".

I love the label with its horseshoe and pair of rolling dice! I am not generally a gambler and I really eschew cards since I have a literary, non-math mind and could never keep up with the poker sharpies. That said, I bought a used book from the library on Craps and when we were in King of Prussia for training, three of us went down and had a whirl at the table. Donna was really good at it and won us each ~ $80., but when it was my turn to throw the dice, I won a buncha people a load of moolah! I would absolutely play Craps again.

Once I Pop!ped the cap off, I decided to let it roll and press my luck. I got two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention for my efforts. I watched with fascination as it slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a minty-pine scent underlain by a deep caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was really minty and clean! I felt like I had been drinking mouthwash, but in a great way. This was really tasty. Finish was minty, cool, dry, literally breath-taking for the second time today. Many thanks for this hookup!

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the brewery's tasting room

Pours an orangish amber with a thin lacing of head. Nose is mostly citrus with a faint floral aroma. Taste is of a grapefruit citrus with flowers. There is a nice contradiction in this beer between sweetness and bitterness. This beer has nice carbonation and is lighter bodied, though a little watered down.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured ontap in a shaker, the beer is a slightly pale, caramel gold coloring with a low, clingy, white head. Aromas of resinous hops, solid caramel malty backbone, and subtle citrus highlights. Flavors are pine and grapefruit forward, with a solid caramel backbone. Toasted highlights throughout. The beer is midbodied, with a pepper spice and resinous hops aftertaste. Dry, bitter linger finish. Very solid beer.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Poured amber with a decent head. Nice but nothing special. The smell has a light grassiness with some floral hop smells on the finish. Somewhat light but quite pleasant. The taste is quite balanced. A firm malt foundation supports some grassy, citrusy hops. A little grainy and could have some more bitterness or juiciness for my liking, but solid. Mouthfeel is substantial, but features more graininess as well. Solid regional ipa, but not a lot to distinguish it from its bretheren.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle opened on 5.8.12.

A - Pours a golden, clear orange with a one finger yellowish head that slowly fades.

S - Very malty, carmel and sweet.

T - Sweet malts and carmel with a hoppy orange finish.

D - Good carbonation and a lighter body.

O - Sweet and oranges and carmel. A bit on the sweet malty side for me. I like my hop bombs.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

This one is dusky amber-orange and thick in the body, a darker and what's become more the norm for the style. The head is just a shade or two from white, a foamy half-finger that holds up well and leaves good lacing in its wake.
The aroma and flavor are good, and this is a solid IPA that just needs more punch. Grapefruit with some orange rind zest balances caramel malts, with a bit more juicy hops in the taste along with light resinous bitterness.
The mouthfeel is fluffy and pretty creamy in the medium body, and that without sacrificing crispness, but a graininess that builds up keeps it from being as clean as it could be.

High Roller IPA from Big Boss Brewing