Bad Penny Brown Ale | Big Boss Brewing

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by atsprings on 04-17-2007

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

4.69/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle, bestby date 9-17.
Poured a nice nutty brown color, with a thick, off white head that hangs a round a while... still a good cover after 1/3 down.
Some great nutty rich malty aroma, though a bit faint.
Tastes after nose, with the nutty, malty, toffee up front and a perfect bittering with crisp carbonation. Iam sure the next one will need to sit a little longer to warm a bit, but this is going down really good. Aromas of malt and grains strengthening as it gets nearer the bottom. Feels like a perfect brown ale to me.
Overall, this Bad Penny is a great brown ale!

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

I had this beer 1st on draft and then found it in a bottle at HT. I can't understand anyone grading this beer below an A The smell and the taste is just threw the roof. I have already hooked 4 other people on this beer. One of the few beers that I have had on tap and then found in a bottle that was even close to its draft flavor. This has become my new favorite. The only issue so far is I can't drink less than 3 of these in a session AND THIS IS TRULEY A SESSION BEER

4.61/5  rDev +28.1%

I really enjoyed this brew and was lucky to have experienced its malty deliciosness on tap. When I ordered, the server asked if I liked Newcastle, which I do, but this beer is much better. The only similarity is their style. She brought out my pint, and I had to first notice the dark color and limited head. The flavor is what blew me away. It is technically an English brown, but it tasted very American. I say that because of the intense roasted malt flavor and hearty feel. This isn't a thick beer, but it was definitely heartier than a typical brown. I loved it!

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Big Boss: Bad Penny (Bottled 02/10) (Tasted 06/10/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into a dimple mug.

Appearance: Extremely dark chestnut brown with fiery red highlights. Head is small, a three millimeter cap of off-white, froth and bubbles, exceptional retention and lace.
Odor: Cocoa powder, toasted brown bread, slightly nutty, with a hint of toffee and dark fruit. Full malt background suggesting confectioners sugar. This is likely one of the most pleasant aromas I have ever smelled in a malt-forward brown ale.
Consistency: Light end of medium bodied with a dry, nutty feel from the malt. Carbonation lends a smooth, even creaminess.
Taste: Like perfect. Roasted chestnuts, fresh grain, layered dark and cocoa chocolate flavors with a ghostly smoky roasted background in perfect harmony with a low-riding, non-descript hop bitterness, that balances and stops short of being a presence in and of itself.

Oooo weee.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hands down the greatest brown ale I have ever had. Yes i said it. Smooth and easy brown ale. Love it!

appearance: dark brown, creamy head

smell: the way it should smell

taste: light chocolate, malty flavor

mouthfeel: good carbonation and delicious

drinkability: very easy and smooth for a brown ale

4.44/5  rDev +23.3%

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A gorgeous beer, dark crystal clear chestnut brown with a thin creamy head.

Fantastic chocolate in the nose along with toasted cereal and malt.

Flavors follow the nose with the chocolate toasted malt notes as well as a lightly sweet vanilla. Very nice.

Medium to full body with a soft mouthfeel.

A very drinkable brown, that is an excellent example of the style. This is a beer I would make a regular in my cooler.

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bad Penny's one of my go-to favorites. The beer pours dark chocolate brown with very little head, and has a malty aroma that smells like chocolate with a slightly nutty undertone. The taste yields the same, and it proves to be a very malty beer -- which is exactly what I like in my browns. All in all, a great beer to try on tap or from the bottle. It's my favorite of the Big Boss offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Fresh bottle, served in a snifter.

Pours a very dark brown, almost opaque, but clear upon further inspection with a bright light. Very small head, fades immediately to the usual ring of foam around the edges. Doesn't leave anything behind on the glass.

Smells like chocolate, roasted coffee. No hop aroma that I can discern.

Taste is initially a tad bit alcoholic with a strong roasty flavor (no surprises here given the aroma). Smooths out after a few sips. Near the end of the swallow the sweetness comes through and a lightly roasty/sweet flavor lingers for a while after swallowing.

Body is fairly thick for a brown ale. Silky smooth!

Bolder than most other brown ales I've had without taking on the qualities of a porter or stout.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bad Penny Brown Ale from Big Boss Brewing