Pannepot | De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Ratings: 2,397 |  Reviews: 840

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Upon the elegant glass pouring, aromas of my late aunt grace seized my nasal passage. The head resembled the color of the starboard bow rope on the large rigged schooner known to me as a child as the Victory Chimes. As the head gracefully settled to a thin sheet, I peered into the glass and saw my own reflection. As I looked to my own reflection I finally realized where I went wrong in my life. I'm sorry Suzanna. As I tasted this ale I heard the rose breasted finch's mating call in early autumn. Fig that has been recently been in a snowstorm, cherry with a rough childhood, bark off of an old wise maple tree, chestnuts from the wrong side of town, chocolate that has been melted twice frozen once melted again and then half frozen aged at room temperature ad then slivered .. to finally be melted, and then lastly frozen, are all tastes that come to my mind while I drink this old fishermans ale.

3.41/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black in fact. Ochre head, nice density but settles out to a thin film. Sticky lace. Looks nice.

Smells strong. Ethanoic, with sticky fig, sour cherry, vanilla, carob and Benedictine. Bit oversweet, and strong.

Tastes very Belgian. Slight sourness, with spicy phenols. Earthy spice, with a bitter earthy taste. Woody and smokey as well, with a medicine character on the back. Nectarine as well. there's definitely a lot of craftsmanship here, but I'm not getting anything amazing or even particularly complex from it.

Mouthfeel is very heavy and quite boozey, but reasonably silky. Not bad.

A good beer, but I'm really surprised to see the overwhelming love for it here. It's possible the bottle may have been old, but I simply didn't really connect with this. Either way I don't think my disappointment will be anything but a slight statistical blip in the lovefest here, so don't mind me, I'm just passing through.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage, poured onto a "rocks" glass.

Pours a deep, earthy brown with a thin head which refuses to subside. Beautiful beer.

Smells very boozy, but also of dark fruit, namely fig. Molasses, caramel, sweet bread pudding.

Taste is not too boozy. Ripe berries and figs are present. No overwhelming Belgian yeast flavors. Rich, warm aftertaste with so unpleasantries to he found.

Mouthfeel is slick with sugars, low carbonation despite sturdy head.

Overall a really great beer. I'd put this a notch below bernardus 12, bit still nothing to brush aside.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle into a snifter, 2011 vintage

A: Pours a very dark amber/brown, almost black with a finger of light tan head which recedes fairly quickly to a thin film. Poor lacing.

S: Caramel, roast, and eatery spices. Like a mix of a Belgian Quad and a Russian Imperial Stout. I certainly get some plum, orange zest, and spicy yeast, but the beer also has a fairly significant roast quality with a bit of milk and dark chocolate.

T: More of the same. Plum and prunes are most evident, but a dark chocolate flavor and a bit of roast comes out as well. The beer is balanced by a nice spiciness - orange zest, yeasty esters, and a bit of peppercorn. The finish is a bit flat.

M: Medium thickness with low, creamy carbonation.

O: Odd for a Quad. There is a distinct chocolate flavor in here that is unlike other beers I've had in the style. It blends well, but it's odd. The flavor is a bit flat, too and the beer could use a bit more carbonation.

Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers