Pannepot | De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Ratings: 2,393 |  Reviews: 839
4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2015 vintage

L - Dark dark brown no head

S - smells like rum fruitcake, delicious

T - Well that's something, dark fruits, brown sugar, a bit vinous. Not boozy at all, a bit sweet

F - Dry mouthfeel, fine carbonation, goes along very well with the taste.

O - A great great quadrupel, one of the best I've had so far. Looking forward to try the 2011 Grand Reserva I have

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

3.57/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2015.

What may work well for a couple of sips, soon becomes an unbearably sweet, sticky goo that'll have to find its home somewhere else than my digestive system.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From lacasadelacerveza. In Teku glass. Playing Tomb Raider 2015. Big dissapointment. Weak body and an unpleasant sourness that makes me wonder if it was in good state... To repeat to be sure of its state

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -6%

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 Edition.
ABV: 10%
Serving temperature 13C (55F) - A little bit to cold, I think.

Dark mahogny, brown/red beer with a tiny beige-brown head. No lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: Nuts, roasted malt, coffee, brownie, caramel malt, prune, raisin, cola and candied sugar. Taste: Sweet caramel, licorice, espresso, roasted malt, maple syrup, raisin, orange, brown sugar and molasses.
The nose grows as the beer heats up.
Mouth: Full body. Complex texture. Medium carbonation with tiny bubbles. Sweet ending with a light, dry tone.

Oh! This is so good! I’m looking forward to cellar this and try a bottle in a few years from now :)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Not my favorite style usually, but i love the lack of alcohol and sweetness. Those qualities keeps me away from most quads. Not as rich as most, which is maybe a bad thing to quad fans but not to me! Had the 2011 vintage in April 2016.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Listed in the "1001", I sought this, bought this, drank this, but can't decipher my notes. But, I remember I found it complex.

4/4/17, I bought this again and put it line for the "to age" part of my cellar. But when you can't remember an ale, you tend to drink it again. So I saved this 2014 Pannepot from getting into the geriatric line. And my lack of patience probably made the right decision as I don't think that aging will meld these spices substantially more than the last 2 & 1/2 years have. Pannepot is what it is. But everything changes at least a little, and here is what I think Pannepot is at this moment.

Looks are normal. (Sneak Preview: this is my favorites style to pair with sweet deserts.)
Smells are unusual. I ask "What am I about to drink." And there is no answer except to drink it. I take a sip.
Taste. My first response also is a question: "Have I ever tasted anything quite like this before.?" (The answer is "no.") I think people like this ale because only a few brewers would dare put all this together because it, quite obviously, is different.
Feel slips slightly more. Too different to hang around on the tongue... but it does for longer than I want.
Solution to this dilemma of a half-drunk bottle? Have vanilla ice cream and sweet, sweet caramel sauce for dessert.
All is made good by the pairing. This iconoclastic brewer's reputation remains intact... with the aid of sugar and butter fat as a failsafe strategy.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers