Struise Witte | De Struise Brouwers

Struise WitteStruise Witte

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Witbier

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:6, IBU:15, OG:1044, FG:1008, ABV:5%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

A- Straw, pale yellow with lots of carbonation. Nice three fingers worth of off-white head gathered.

S- Combination of wheat and spiced herbs. There was also a strong scent of acidic, sour citrus tones.

T- Follows the smell. I was afraid the sourness was going to play into the taste, but surprisingly it did not. Carried a nice wheat flavor and finished off with a crisp spice finish.

M- Like the taste, crisp and clean. Light to medium bodied with tons of carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable. At 5% ABV this is definitely a session beer, not too mention its refined taste.

Overall, a pretty good beer. I still prefer there quad.

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Golden colored and pours a huge white fluffy head with good retention. The aroma is malty, with some grass and herbal notes with just a touch of citrus. The flavor is a citrus tang; I get orange, coriander and lemons along with wheaty malts. Acidic with quite a bit of carbonation. Seemed a bit thin and over-carbonated. Interesting, refreshing beer, and overall pretty good but nothing special.

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Served at 40 degrees in a small juice glass(split the beer with another person). The pours were equally distributed and the yeast was swirled and added to each beer.

The beer poured with a golden brown color with a clean white head. The aroma was one of dominating sourness - not what I expected from a Belgian wit. The first couple of sips were surprising from the standpoint that the flavor was much less sour than what you would expect from the aroma. The beer seemed a bit high on the carbonation side. I really struggled with this beer to find descriptive characteristics. It was the second beer of the night for me so my palate was still capable. I swirled it to release some carbonation. Upon doing that I was able to detect the mild citrus notes and a bit of the sourness I originally smelled.

I could call this a very complex wit or a wit with no identity. I'll make sure to revisit this beer in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into my Hoegaarden glass. Really like the label on this brew.
An immensley hazy Witte. Light medium head, carbonation is good. Great appearance.
Smell is quite a bit lighter than expected.Wheat,yeast, orange, pepper, metal? hmmm. Lemon, wheat, good, but really lacks the "Struise" kick I was expecting.
Flavor is very peppery,biting and very good.Orange, biscuit, spices, grains, musty yeastiness, really spicy Wit, touch of sweetness akin to white grape, but the pepper/cracker/lemon combo is fantastic.
More biting than most Wits I've had, I guess it does have the "struise" touch after all, very drinkable, but I really miss the creaminess in the mouthfeel that I think is one of the key critique factors in a Wit.]
Good,but not quite on par with my expectations.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%

Above average tasting beer again from Struisse. Pours light translucent orange with some white head, that later leaves lace teasting in the glass. Soft mouthfeel, with after tongue tingling. Orangey citrus flavour. Slightly below average smell of the spice. Nicely drinkable blend.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from the same 11.2 oz. bottle that I purchased at De Bier Tempel in Brugge, Belgium on or about 6 9 09 for 2.50 Euros. I took it with me all over Italy, finally returning at the end of June.

A Kind of basic moderate yellow translucent body with visible carbonation rising up but no sediment viewed by me. Nice, white, creamy head that stuck around for at least 10 minutes. 4.0

S Nice belgian yeast, malt smell and, thankfully, no hops smelled by me. Some light citrus but really this beer does not have a strong smell. 3.5

T Nice sweet, light syrupy malt taste and some grains but not as much of the wheat taste and no significant spices which I tend to like. Really this beer tastes more like I would call a Belgian Blonde but what do I know? What this beer does have, however, is the by now unmistakable Belgian taste as described above. 3.5

M Moderately smooth but most significant feel is a light syrupy stickiness. 3.5

D Good and if it was any easier to get I could test that theory. 4.0

Notes: I would like to taste a Witte from this brewery (a world class one at that) as an unfiltered version. As it is this is a solid beer, but probably a Blonde Belgian Ale. I have to admit that I was a bit let down after having some absolutely stellar beers from DSB in the past. Coming up are two Pannepot beers though....

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

11.2oz bottle shared with Carlo at De Struise...Pours a light hazy gold that is still semi clear. A light off white head, light and fades pretty quickly with light lacing...The aroma is yeast, lemon, spice, and a touch bitter. Its not the typical wit aromas, nice originality but not entirely working for me...The taste is light lemon, spicy, yeast, has a very champaign like quality from the yeast and dryness of the drink. The finish to harsh and dry for me, so despite its intent as a crusher beer its a tad difficult for me to drink.

Not my fav De Struise beer, I'd skip it next time around.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours a cloudy straw with an inch of frothy white head. This recedes fairly quickly to a thin cap. No visible carbonation.

S - Quite muted. Lemon, grapefruit, grassiness, breadiness. It's ok.

T - Back on track. Initial burst is of bread/yeast, before the citrus moves through in the middle. Bisuity malt towards the end and a lightly hoppy finish/aftertaste.

M - Medium body initially, with light carbonation. Becomes much lighter and almost watery towards the end.

D - Not too bad. I've head better wittes, but this would certainly be acceptable on a hot day.

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle pored in a thumbler glass.

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow color forming a medium to small thin bubbled white head. Low retention and practically no lacings left

S: Spicy and peppery. Notes of black pepper, orange zest and coriander. A bit grassy. Different from the traditional Belgian Witbiers. More sweet and malty in the nose

T: Slightly sweet upfront. Sweet malts. A bit sour. Herby and spicy. Notes of orange zest, coriander, wheat, and bready yeasts

M: Medium body. Low carbonation and a spicy and citrus aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Again, not a traditional Belgian Witbier but still a Struise

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%

33 cl bottle, courtesy of gunnfryd, who supplied it to our tasting. The ABV was 5.0%. Served at room temperature, which was too warm, and caused the beer to gush out of the bottle when opening. Hazy golden colour, moderate head. Surprisingly malty aroma, plenty of coriander. Moderately spicy flavour.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

33cl into a matching De Struise cervoise. I loved this beer to death when I had it on draft so I didnt hesitate in getting some bottles when the opportunity arose. I should have paid closer attention because this bottle I am opening for this review is old. Like... older than it should be for a wit. The label is different from the one listed here, instead of yellow, it is blue and very faded, scratched up and downright falling apart now that I look at it closer. The best before code on the side of the label is different from the normal struise labels I am use to seeing that have been imported by Shelton bros. I assume this to be best by 2013 putting this at a 2008 vintage possibly? The brew appears a very clouded color of yellow to golden with a solid 2 fingers of white froth that fade slowly leaving spots of lace clinging all over the glass.

The aroma opens up with a seemingly perfume-like lemony aspect. It is chalk full of yeasty notes mixed with some herbal and earthy components. Wheat tartness is somewhat evident with a blending of grain and then as it opens up, there is a bit of apple cider note coming into play. The taste includes a tart wheat character with hints of lemon and coriander with almost an oily touch. There is a bitterness here somewhat more exaggerated than i was expecting for a wit but it does a decent job contrasting the lemony aspect and the tart wheat presence.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is light and easy drinking with the expected lemony aspects and wheat inclusion. I am a bit surprised by the herbal components and hop bitterness that is present. This is certainly a 180 degree turn from my experience of having it on tap. it is good in it's own right, just not at all what I was expecting based on previous experience. I guess it is understandable knowing the difference of draft version bottle conditioning and considering this specific bottle might be several years old.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a very finely beaded pure white head that sticks around as a thin cap. Smells of orange cream, a spritz of lemon, and a touch of coriander. Definitely a bit unusual for the style, both in aroma and taste, but really quite nice. The taste is a bit sour for a Wit, and really tastes nothing light the smell. You'd really expect a lot more sweetness in the flavor based on the aroma. There is still some of the lemon spritz, but the sourness is almost acetic. A touch of cream and coriander remains as well, but the orange is gone. The taste is a bit floral as well. Fairly light in the mouth and a bit sour. Pleasant porch drinking brew.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

Aroma - Hints of orange, spice, and wheat are prevalent. Moderate level of sweetness. Vanilla. Tart. Floral noted later in the session. I'm having a hard time noting the coriander character I'd expect in the style. It may be there but I'm not detecting it.

Cloudy, straw-like color. Formed a dense white head that thinned itself in and retained well. Some lacing takes place when swirled though this is not required of the style.

Upfront tartness with a bitter orange peel type flavor. Wheat-like graininess. Low level of bitterness. Missing out on some of the spicy notes I expect. Lacking a pleasant sweetness, as required in this style. Too focused on the tart/acidic flavors.

Medium-light bodied, moderately high level carbonation. Finished dry with some lingering tartness and a small bit of astringency. Effervescent.

Overall a drinkable, refreshing, crisp belgian wheat beer that is missing a few key flavors. Tart, bitter orange peel flavors too prominent. With some more sweetness and an increase in spiciness, decrease of tartness, this would be a more appropriate witbier.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at teresas gold brew no head little lace. Brew smells of sweet fruits and yeast. Good sweet flavors; fruits an spices along with a spicy carbonated feel. Drying finish. Drinks like a champ. Very session able. A light drinking summer brew that wouldnt offend. Good stuff here.

Struise Witte from De Struise Brouwers