Aardmonnik - Earthmonk | De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Liked:
3.93/5
Alströms:

3.29/5  rDev -16.3%

Anno 2008, the 'sucky' one.

Appearance -- Pours a burgundy-tinged brown with no head to speak of: some soapy bubbles and what looks like an oily film. The fine bubbles slowly trailing up the glass prove that this is, in fact, somewhat carbonated. Good color, and the overall appearance becomes much more appealing when the soapy suds disappear.

Smell -- Has a sturdy vinegar character, perhaps the red wine variety. Roast malt, berries, perhaps some sherry. I've smelled worse vinegarized Flanders beers, but I'm not loving this aroma.

Taste -- The mouth is first greeted by a sudden burst of bright acidity followed by subtle roast malt, cocoa, berry tartness, red wine, and a mild sherry-like oxidation character. Slightly earthy, not so much funky. The sour level is strong for a Bruin, but not in the least bracing; it hits the mark well. Interesting.

Mouthfeel -- As the appearance suggested, it's nearly still. It has a fuller, viscous body to it that somewhat makes up for the lack of spritzy carbonation.

Overall -- Don't let the totals core fool you; I quite enjoyed this one. Not the crisp, mellow sipper that is Goudenband or Bellegems Bruin, but it has great depth of flavor and is very unique. I recommend it.

Additional Note: many of my friends have mentioned that this vintage tates like Cool Whip. I'm almost mad that there's nothing reminding me of fake whipped cream...

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.3/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a fucking glass.

A: okay, first of all WTF is on the front of this bottle? I've heard so many disturbing things about this beer and now there is some sort of wretched starving creature on the bottle. Truly appetizing. As for the beer, it is dark brown in color. There is absolutely no head on an aggressive pour. It appears flat. Between the color and the lack of head, it looks like a glass of whiskey.

S: Smell is of malt and malt vinegar. Then there is a sort of odd mix of light watery coffee, cola, and caramel.

T: Flavor is like a thin, watery malt vinegar. There is a little wood and maybe a very light soy sauce quality, but the malt vinegar is what I'm getting out of it.

M: On the thinner side. Watery with almost no carbonation.

O: As soon as I smelt this beer, the only thing I could think of is mat vinegar and fish and chips. But, then again, I admittedly prefer tartar sauce on my fish and ketchup on my chips. And I can't think of a time when I'd ever drink a glass of malt vinegar. While some people might find this beer drinkable, I didn't. A few ounces was all I could handle.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a flared pokal.

Big thanks to the Central PA group of the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

I've heard so many interesting things about this beer that I had no problem when it was chosen to be cracked first tonight. It pours a murky ruby-brown with no real head of any kind to speak of. The nose comprises tomato, light tart black cherry, light raspberry vinaigrette, caramel, and teriyaki sauce. I'm actually a little surprised that I like what I'm smelling, given what I just wrote. The taste holds notes of soy sauce (including a pinch of salt), light cocoa, cherry tomatoes, red grapes, and red apple skin. The body is a stolid medium, with a light carbonation and a slick, fluid feel. Overall, an interesting beer, indeed, one I'm not entirely sure if I liked or disliked...

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this a while back from ygtbsm94. Best before July 2011 - whoops! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - A hard pour yields a big-bubbled crust that lingers and eventually yields to a thin ring. Very dark brown body.

S - Smells like an aged oud bruin alright - reminds me of the De Dolle '20' a bit, with notes of BBQ sauce, vinegar, caramel malts, light vanilla, and a touch of oak. Pretty nice stuff.

T - Unfortunately the flavor has gone off the rails. Flavor is a bit bland, with some oxidation, and a slight mineral quality. Not much overt sourness, and mild sugary malt sweetness. Some dry oak, and a slightly meaty note implied by the BBQ sauce-esque combination of flavors.

M - Minimal carbonation, medium body, dry finish, and more acidity than I expected from the flavor. Thankfully, it never reaches stomach-melting levels. Could use more bubbles.

D - This didn't seem to age well - perhaps I should have gotten to it a bit sooner. I'll have to revisit the new batch, although I didn't care for it either if I recall correctly. The most enjoyable time I had this beer was when I had it straight for the barrels.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

11.2oz. bottle procured from the Struise webshop. Vintage 2008 (EM No. 7) served at 52 degrees in a tulip. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a bubbly, loose, tan-colored froth around the shoulders which continues to dissipate into an oily skim and a thin, tight bubbly band. I love the nose on this beer - vinous, oaky, vanilla notes, dark fruits (plum, figs, prunes) and a suggestion of grape bubblegum. Taste is a bit more muddled. Vinous quality still presents itself, as well as some citric acid; however, there's also a bit of chocolate as well as more grape notes, a slight earthiness and prunes. Tannins are present, but the acidity pretty much buries the vanilla and oak expressed in the nose. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a mild carbonation which is almost still. Acidity lightly stimulates the sides of the cheeks and lingers along the glands at the back of the throat between quaffs. Overall - I really enjoyed this complexity of this beer and plan on cellaring a couple bottles to see how it changes over time. A slightly tart and vinegary FOB without being overly sour. I wish there were more efforts at this style readily available.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

A noses beer fermented in barrels with swirls of red wine vinegar elegant. But also the cellars, sawdust, wood stuffy (like dust which can invade the old books from a library).

On the palate, the flavor is complex. It was more like a good old drink a red gueuze of Flanders. One benchmark for the tasting of delicious flavors. Among other red fruit (blackcurrant in particular), the good old Burgundy and tannic acidity that continues in force after-taste.

And always with this mixture of styles between Brussels Champagne and Flemish Burgundy that makes the complex beer, tasty and also easy to drink.

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from De Struise Brouwers