Aardmonnik - Earthmonk | De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers
Belgium | website

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Reviews: 179 | Ratings: 283
2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

330cl bottle direct from Struise, into a snifter. 2008 vintage. Part of a personal high-end beer tasting.

A - The pour is a clouded, reddish-brown, with no head whatsoever. Looking like another flat beer for me -- this is my third in a row today. *sigh*

S - Balsamic vinegar, tart cherry, and acetic acid. Something tells me that my tummy is not going to be happy later. It's nice enough, though, and is good for a oude bruin.

T - Right away I feel like it's got as much malt vinegar as balsamic. The cherry is not as bright as the nose made me think, but it's fairly strong on the finish. Very little apparent alcohol considering it's 8%. One gripe is that there's maybe a little acetone -- not as much as the Vuja De bottle that I had, but enough that it's there. Without that it'd be slightly above average, but it's going to lose a bit point-wise for it.

M - The lack of carbonation is killing me here. It's not completely flat, but there's VERY little going on, and it absolutely kills the feel in this style. It's crying out for some bubbles.

O - I'm not all that happy about this one. I was really looking forward to it, but I really had to struggle to get through the (small, expensive) bottle. The flavors just aren't good enough to overcome the lack of carbonation.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

2008 vintage, into tulip. Even the most vigorous pour fails to produce any head (apart from short-lived tan bubbly patch) atop of murky, dark reddish-brown body. Flanders Oud Bruin is supposed to be clear and the complete absence of head is not characteristic to the style hence the low score for the appearance.
The nose is utterly complex with interplay of sour, sweet, fruity and sherry aromas. The sourness takes after balsamic vinegar which is quite intense denoting an aged example, as do the obvious sherry-notes. The malt is quite rich with caramel and slight chocolaty character while fruity esters are reminiscent of raisins, plum and black cherries. Some brown sugar is noticeable as is the mild alcohol in the background. The malts, balsamic vinegar and black cherry produce rich tart-sweet flavor with intensity of a soy sauce. A very faint mushroom-like bitterness indicates that Brettanomyces has been used to add sourness to this one. The beer is said to be oak-aged and that's welcomed as it gives balsamic character to the vinegar, but unexpected because maturation on oak is typical to Flanders Red, not Bruin. Body is medium-full and smooth due to nearly absent carbonation and besides the poor appearance flat mouthfeel is the major flaw of otherwise excellent beer.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle into a snifter. This brew appears a very muddy color of dark brown. Holding the glass to the light shows no different result, it appears just clouded dark brownness with lighter muddy brown coloration around the edges where some light penetrates. If there ever was a brew that looked like over-ripe to rotten prunes that were pureed and filtered into a glass, this is it. There briefly was a display of some dark brown bubbles that collected across the top while the brew was being poured, however they very rapidly dissolved. By the time I finished the pour and set the bottle down, the cap is gone and this brew appears still with not even a bubble sitting atop the brew or along the edge of the glass. A violent swirl releases about 4 bubbles that somehow end up sticking to the glass which is the only sign of lacing.

The smell of this brew is complex and quite interesting. It smells woodsy upfront with deep scents of fruited sweetness like cherry through the middle mixed with balsamic vinaigrette. The backend of the nose finishes with a sour twinge to the nose and a light tingle of alcohol. More smells reveal a sweet scent that is a mixture of vanilla mixed with sour cherry pits while other sniffs reveal mostly sharp scents of vinegar. Overall this is quite an interesting and enjoyable aroma. Once the brew comes up to temperature, a smell similar to brown sugar evolves inside the glass.

The taste is sharp with an acidity that immediately makes the mouth start to salivate. Flavors of oak bring forth a sweetness and smoothness somewhat like vanilla mixed with cherry pits. The sweet and fruity flavor of this brew is met with a mild herbal hop bitterness and earthy flavor of something more in line with over ripe cherry pits and balsamic vinaigrette. As the brew warms, I pick up on a sweetness that is more like candy sugar than malt. There is a spiced aspect faintly like orange rinds that mingles with the residual sweetness.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a very light level of carbonation. The alcohol is very well integrated in this brew. This is a very complex offering that I have a hard time fully wrapping myself around but it is uniquely enjoyable and it really warmed up to me and I started to dig it more as the glass emptied. It is balanced very well with a mix of flavors that seemingly evolve into something different with every sip. The biggest disappointment here is the complete lack of carbonation that would really drive this one home as a standout winning brew. While this isn't the best offering I have had from Struise, it most certainly is among the most complex and interesting. I intend to get some more of this and see what some age does.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 batch bottle released in 2011. I have been looking to find this one for a while and it is nice to remove a Want from a few years back. Poured into a Bruery Tulip

Pour is a dark cherry brown flanders oud bruin color. Exactly what I was hoping for. This is a lot more unsettled looking and hazy perhaps than I was afraid it might be.

Aroma of sweet ripe cherries, some vinegar, sweet malt and oak barrel. Yeah this is basically what I live for here.

Taste is just damn good. There is a very strong sour presence melding with a mildewy oak flavor. Cherries all over, a light cotton candy presence mixing at the end with plenty of oak edginess. Light vinegar touches and a light berry flavor in the back. The vinegar is more in nose than in flavor. I actually had a slight hiss from popping the top off which I was surprised after hearing others complain that it was flat. I really believe this comes together quite well and will definitely be enjoying more of these.

Body is medium with a very slight carbonation. Being that Flanders Oud Bruin's are typically similar to this, I have to think that this is done right and give more points to De Struisse. I have no idea where the 8% is hidden, but this comes together like a masterpiece and I can really enjoy sipping on it.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

330cl bottle poured into Duvel tulip, fresh from the 2011 released batch (brewed in 2008).

Appearance: Aggressively dropped him right down the center of the glass and was left with nothing more than a few bubbles for head. Dark brown body, with light only cracking through along the edges of the glass. This looks sludgy in the glass, closer to what I'd expect from a quad or a stout than a Flanders Bruin.

Smell: Cherries, raisins, vinegar, heavy oak. I can smell the sour before I taste it. Fantastic.

Taste: Intense and full flavored is an understatement. Not just the tartness either, but everything is potent - almost like pouring a marinade onto your cooked meat as if it were a dipping sauce. The predominant taste is similar to what you get when you suck on a fresh cherry. Definitely tart, and definitely vinegar flavor in there as well. Unique is an understatement, and I award this beer major points for that.

Mouthfeel: Very low carb, but there and surprisingly adequate. Thick and heavy.

Drinkability: Low to moderate. Alcohol is perfectly hidden, despite the 8% ABV. The intensity of flavors though make this a sipper, and one bottle in a session is plenty. In fact, you could easily split this small bottle and satisfy two people.

Overall: I heard this beer was one of a kind, and it certainly lived up to that billing. It is not for everybody, as is indicative from the reviews all over the place. But, it is well worth seeking out, as you won't know if you like it until you try it. It's drinking good now (fresh), but the inherent complexity makes me glad I have a few to lay down to see how this tasty beer evolves over time.

2.43/5  rDev -38%

2008 into lost abbey tulip. $13/bttl shipped, thanks to the struise webshop!

A- Hard pour leaves a 1/2 cm of big tan bubbles. Slowly settles to a nice outer ring.

S- Lots of oak, balsamic vinegar, cherries.

T- Big dark malt sweetness and hardcore sour cherry tartness. Vinegar is here, just underneath the surface. Intense, strong, lingering flavors. I taste some copper and earthy notess as it warms..

M- Tart enough to where it's like licking a battery with some cherry coughdrops in your mouth. Carbonation is low, but suitable. It's just a tongue-twisting beer.

O- Meh. Will prob. pass along my other bottles. Too much going on- and it doesn't really come together.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

11.2oz into Russian River tulip, 2008 batch that was recently released by Struise

Murky brownish red with some good sized bubbles when freshly poured that fade into a collar of film around the edges of the glass with tiny sediment on the top of the beverage. As the beer is drank, the beer's appearance becomes pretty still. Interesting.

Super ripe grapes up front with a candy like quality to it. Almost like grape bubblegum or a grape hard candy, but with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar behind it. A bit of earthyness behind the initial scents too, similar to soil.

Starts with some sugarless grape bubblegum like flavors that move into an acidic, balsamic vinegar flavor. Raspberries and currants also present a bit with very earthy and rustic flavors like soil or grime, it really holds nothing back. As the beer warms, a bit more acidity comes out in the flavor revealing more of the balsamic qualities.

The mouthfeel is medium with extremely low carbonation. It really works for this style and does not allow any area for the flavor to hide. Awesome.

Overall, a very interesting take on the style. Lots of rustic, true to form flavors in there that I can honestly say I have never experienced in an oud bruin. But it seems to be missing a little bit of approachability due to the earthyness and complex character of the beverage. A must try for any fan of the style, but be forewarned that this beast is not tame.

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Thank you very much to a customer for this beer...what a treat!
2008 Vintage

A- Almost stout-like in appearance, no head, fizzy swirl of carb in the middle of a color-devoid structure...

S-Vanilla, cherry, oak, intense, strong, amazing smells....omg....There isn't a single hint of sour beer behind this nose. Simply smooth vanilla and cherry...awesome....can't remember a better nose on a sour....

T- Starts off smooth, nothing much going on *served at 39 degrees F.* THEN spice, phenols, tartness, tanginess, oh man...this is great....

M- Solid brick of a mouthfeel, with a few glimmers of carbonation...nothing exceptionally nasty about the 'brick' that I speak of, but it is DIFFERENT....all together a different beer but for mouthfeel, I'd expect something FLAT to taste like this, but in all it provides the right amount of carbonation! NICE!

O- Best Flemish Red I've ever tried. Period. Duchesse on crack...

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Just arrived at my door yesterday! Threw one in the fridge overnight and am enjoying this greatly now.

Muddy brown beer with very little carbonation. Easily detectable scents of caramel and alcohol apparent on the nose.

The taste is something quite wonderful though. I don't know how it's an A-, but I suspect its from the previous batch or something.. this is probably the finest tasting oude bruin i've had, with oude tart being my previous favorite.

I love this beer, it's a shame I only bought 6. Will have to buy some more when more is released.

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottles just arrived yesterday (less than a week from when I ordered them!) so I had to try one. 2011 version (labeled 2008)

Pours a dark mahogany with a reddish hue near the edges of the glass. Absolutely no head or much of a sign of carbonation - just a faint ring around the edge that disappears quickly.

Wow, there's a lot going on in the aroma. Tart cherries, balsamic vinegar, wine grapes, and a hint of cocoa/brown sugar. Excellent.

Quite a complex taste. Similar to the aroma as there is plenty of tart cherry and balsamic. There's a strong wine-like oak flavor as well. Nice amount of sourness.

Basically no carbonation with a medium body. Leaves a sour, sticky coating that hangs around.

I've tried several Struise beers now and I believe this is my new favorite. Looking forward to letting some of my bottles age for awhile to see how this evolves.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whan can be said more about this beer than my previous fellow BA's did? This is one hell of a beer. If you are into the sour beer this is the one i have been told, i myself have always trouble with this style.

2008 version, drank it with Michael, an non BA but good beerlover.

Poured in the little Westvleteren chalice the beers does not look specatacular but that's the way it is with this beer. Deepdarkblack to very darkdarkbrown.

This beer has an earthy taste, light sour and also sweetness. Cherrie well hidden but also very in front some times. Let the beer swirl into the glass and you will have a great time!

Best before: 4/27/16
Lot 10/08/24/03/2011

Purchased through Cracked Kettle, Netherlands

Price - $6.33 U.S/bomber

Aged for 18 months on oak and blended with 30% old and 70% new.

Pours brown with red undertones. A complete lack of bubbles but I think as it continues to mature over time this will change.

A strong aroma of red grapes, cherries and funk from the 70's. A slight presence of vinegar holds it true to the style.

The flavor is tart cherry, brown sugar and oak. An amazing test of balance between sweet and sour.

Mouthfeel is a gentle touch of tart and sticky with a medium body. Fairly smooth as I've moved onto a second bottle. A real treat from start to finish.

Overall I really dig this. It's a sour but not overwhelming. I'm a huge fan of De Struise and this one stands out as a favorite of mine. I first had this several years ago and have been waiting patiently for it's next release.

Recently received in a trade from Oregone, thank you Trevor. Served from the 33 cl bottle at cellar temp into a tulip. Lot A, best by 07/11.

A: This one pours a deep, murky brown, with minimal head, even with an aggressive pour. Hints of red hues can be found along the edge when held up to the light. Thin, spotty, bubbly lacing is left around the glass. This one sits very still.

S: The nose is a bouquet of red wine and balsamic vinegar, wet leather, and oxidized fruits leading into a soy sauce aroma.

T: I'm initially surprised by the chocolate back bone of this brew. Smooth, creamy milk chocolate is followed by soy sauce and finished with a lingering tart cherry sourness. The sourness rounds out the palate and acts to lift the initial chocolate rush quickly off the tongue. The finish had a short-lived vinegar flavor that overpowers the tart cherry offering. I don't really detect any Belgian spiciness, which I think is due to the 8% ABV which really kicks up the sour/vinegar finish.

M: The mouthfeel is creamy and heavy which provides a port like quality.

O: I'm between and betwixt on this one. Nothing really stands out on it. I'm lead to believe that A. this beer is past its prime secondary to the oxidized flavors and aromas, or B. I'm consuming a bad batch. The 8% ABV is evidently noticeable on the finish and lends a warming feeling long after. I would really like to try a fresh batch as I'm lead to an inclination that at some point in the lifespan of this beer is a world class Flanders Oud Bruin. Will certainly seek out again.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

The 2011 version. When I visited the Old School, they just put the Earthmonk 2011 for sale. Lucky me!

Pours a dark-amber brown with some thin layer of bubbles forming a nice lacing.
Smell is very sweet with strong sour notes of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, oak, some dark fruits but surprisingly, also clear notes of red fruits were present. Everything mingled perfectly together. The best smelling Vlaams oud bruin I had until now.
Taste: Dark fruits, red fruits, lots of brown sugar and smooth oaky vinegar all over the place. This beer is so smooth, it is hard to describe.
Overall: When I had the beer, it was still very young. So nice and soft, with all flavors coming out very balanced. Probably overtime the sourness will get a bit more pronounced, but for me, this beer is close to perfect now!

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

Date: 04/13/2011
Vintage: Best By Date Of 07/2011 Lot B
Type: 11.2oz. Bottle
Glass: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a deep brown mahoghany in color w/ barely any head to speak of and no lacing. The appearance was this brew's worst attribute. Aromas of red wine, vinegar, and dark fruits. The taste was surprising, but very nice. Acidic vinegar soaked cherries took the forefront, followed by a touch of oak and leather at the finish. I have never tasted a brew such as this one, and that unique flavor becomes very addicting. The mouthfeel was thin and clean. Easy to drink w/ well masked ABV, 11.2oz. was just not enough for me, wish this one came in bombers.

Overall, this brew boggled my mind, as I had never tasted an Oude Bruin quite like this one. Throughout the sampling I kept wanting more and more of this unique brew, needless to say I will be looking to acquire more bottles. In the end, another winner from Struise.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

Had this on tap at Alvinne Craft Beer Fest 2011.
This was the 2008 version.

A dark brown to black with a nice foamy head that is light brown, sticks around for a bit.

S deliciously sour, but not overpoweringly, smells of plums and raisins and cherries, and some wood smell and an underlying sweetness.

T taste is rather similar to the smell. some nice fruit and wood tones, a slight sweetness at first that turns tart on the back. There is some spice mixed in there as well. This is a deliciously complex beer that runs the gambit from sweet to tart, but never too much with either extreme.

M/D good carbonation, lighter mouthfeel, very very drinkable

Wish I could get more of this, simply wonderful! I am wondering, due to the mixed reviews, if there were some bad bottles or if a certain year was better than another. 2008 was exceptional on tap!

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Pours a very dark brown with some deep red hues around the edges of the glass. Flat. Still. Not one tiny bubble to be found. Maybe a light swirl of the glass could get something going? Not even close. Light carbonation can work for some brews but this is pushing the envelope.

S - Smell is quite strong. Balsamic vinegar and cherry start it off. The middle comes close to sugar that has been just a little over cooked. Might be some alcohol mixed in at this point but it's hard to single out over the other aromas. It finishes musty with a touch of very over ripe fruit. Very over ripe.

T - This is easily the best part about this brew. Taste doesn't quite follow smell and that is fine by me. The beginning holds notes of apple and pear. Wasn't really expecting that at all. It's quickly balanced by balsamic and brand new leather. To this point, I'm surprised by the flavor. Cherry and raspberry dominate midway with cherry easily taking the lead. Caramel is noticed at a very distant end. Alcohol isn't really present.

M - Lighter bodied with no carbonation. The intense and complex flavors coat the palate for what seems like an eternity. It's mostly tart with a moderate sweetness.

D - Drinkability is not bad. Lack of carbonation does hurt this brew but it is still drinkable nonetheless. It's big. It's bold. Frankly, there is just quite a bit to take in. As it warms and after a few sips, it really mellows out. Not sure I could take more than one though. Maybe on another day but definitely not in the same session. I heard good things and had high hopes for this one but unfortunately it fell short.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a hazy brown with an espresso swirl head. The aroma is some vinegar and farmyard-ish (namely horse blanket) aroma with just a mild roastiness in there as well. The flavor is sour and mildly sweet with lots of sour cherry and plenty of lactic acidity. All this pairs oddly well with a malty and chocolaty flavor that lurks in the background. Pretty damn nice.

4.56/5  rDev +16.3%

33 cl bottle, EM No. 7, Best Before 7/11

Very little pop when opened. This is certainly the darkest Flemmish sour I've ever poured. The black sediment thankfully stays firmly in place at the bottom of the bottle.

Heavy sweet and sour aroma; lots of umami here, with dark fruits, cherry, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and lots of dark fruits.

The taste is not surprisingly similar to the aroma- sweet and sour, with again Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, cherry but adding a cocoa element that was missing form the nose. I am a fan of high cocoa content artisan chocolate bars and the finish on this has the same wine like character that can be found in the best examples, with a wine, raisin and port like character. There is really no trace of the elevated alcohol content and almost no trace of the traditional maltiness associated with what we call beer. My only real complaint is that it seems a bit thin, although that does get better as the beer warms.

The aging is mellowing it out and rounding it so that it has much the same character as a (not-hoppy) aged barleywine, or perhaps a Thomas Hardy, with the added dimension of a sour backbone and perhaps a little less body. Very, very good, but not world class in my opinion and relative to other Flemmish sours not really to style.

75 cl bottel vintage 2006 ( botteld in 2006 ) ! Poured into my struise glass

Instantly struck by the aroma Tart, sour, funky. Old cherry skin, aged balsamic. Wet leather. Just an absolutely outstanding nose. Pours a dark maroon/amber with a thin white head leaving some spotty lacing. Tart fruit, plenty acidic without being harsh. Wood, brett, balsamic, tart red wine tannin. Freshly crushed tart cherries mixed with vinegar. Creamy, lush and surprisingly vibrant on the tongue.
Awesome beer !!

4.39/5  rDev +12%

1 of 5000 bottles every 2 years, into my De Struise glass. Very glad to finally try one the De Struise's I haven't had, and according to Carlo, his favorite. He might know what he's talking...Pours a very dark brown with a hint of mahogany peaking out. Very little carbonation at first, but then a super thin layer of bubbles forms and lasts for several minutes. No lacing...The aroma is fantastic, instantly reminds me of a cross between Duchesse & Rodenbach Grand Cru, wonder if this is labeled wrongly, I think this is a Flanders Red. Very sweet with superb notes of balsamic vinegar, oak, molasses and brown sugar. Perfect balance of sweet and tart...The taste is not quite as perfect, perhaps its getting a bit dated, will need to re-visit this when it comes out shortly. The flavors just don't come through as nicely or sharp, seems muddled. Dark fruits, molasses, and brown sugar on the front, only a smidge of tart vinegar on the back. This is still great, just not as good as the nose...The feel is a little light, not much of a finish...CRUSHABLE at 8%.

Another great De Struise, worth trying!

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes:

Pours a very dark ruby red/chestnut brown color with slight mahogany edges and a thin half finger beige head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Not much lacing.

Earthy oak aroma that is very vinous with lots of dark fruit notes, lactic funk and horseblanket. Hints of grape and dark cherry as well as a slight vinegary presence.

Medium bodied and slightly puckering with a great balance of sweet dark fruit notes, earthy oak and tart funk. Vinous with hints of grape, dark cherry and plum as well as hints of oak and vanilla. Not too sour/puckering but slightly funky with a sweet yet dry finish. Not as extreme or complex as other Belgians of the style but very flavorful, nicely balanced and extremely quaffable.

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Early 2010 rate.

From a 33cl bottle. Pours a turbid deep brown/black with the tiniest wisp of a head. Nose is really heavy on various types of vinegar. Grape must and wet earth creep out. A nice musty leather, tobacco element. Boozy and a bit thin in the mouth with a major vinegar burn at the finish. Just not into this. It has some deep complexities going on, but that vinegar is over the top. I don't care if it's even to style or not. I love sour beers and I love many Oud Bruins, but not this.

I've learned since that a run of these bottles were apparently pretty bad. That's the batch I got, not sure where this went wrong, but it was way off.

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. I have been waiting to try this one for a while.

The beer pours a brownish-color with red highlights and a very small white head.

The aroma is classic Oud Bruin. I get a lot of caramel and toffee, as well as some brown sugar and tart cherry notes.

The flavor is more of the same. There is a lot of brown sugar and tart cherry notes to give the beer a nice sweet and sour taste profile. I also get some oak and a little bit of vinegar in the flavor.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice overall.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to philipquarles for the bottle!
2008 vintage, 33 cl bottle

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. A thin, off-white, ring of foam rests on top of a murky brown body with a ruby red tint. Light lacing.

The nose has caramel, dark fruits and a touch of vinegar acidity after the first swirl. Further swirling of the glass reveals plums, figs and a touch of honey. Hint of alcohol.

Figs, plums, dates, a touch of honey and sweet malt on the tongue. Vinegar acidity makes its way in, but is fairly balanced with everything else. Candied fruits with a hint of ketchup from time to time. Faint blood like taste on the finish.

The body is smooth with light carbonation. Some weight here, but not heavy. Feels a little bland, but well done.

Drinkability is pretty good. I like the dark fruit aspect of the beer and the sourness is well balanced. That being said, this beer doesn't quite have enough going on for me to seek it out again, but if I could buy it off the shelf I would.

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from De Struise Brouwers