Pannepot Reserva | De Struise Brouwers

Ratings: 1,151 |  Reviews: 385

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

2008 bottling poured into a La Trappe chalice. The pour is dark and mysterious with nice mahogany highlights along the sides of the glass. Not much head, but enough to leave a nice thin lacing on the surface. The nose is simply divine. I smell gingerbread, dark fruits, cocoa, cookie dough, and rum. There is just so much there and all of it smells delicious.

Full-bodied, velvety smooth feel, and a luscious, extremely rich, malty flavor. The beer tastes like liquid spiced cake. Loads of rich, bready malt, brown sugar, honey, dark chocolate, toffee, raisins, and dates all meld together perfectly. That distinctive puff-pastry taste of Belgian yeast adds the perfect dry, biscuity, earthy hint to the richness. A warming, rummy alcohol whiff on the finish merely makes the flavors richer and gives the beer a port-like character.

A phenomenal beer. The flavor is so far off-the-charts I need new charts. I suppose it feels just a bit thin for all that flavor and I hate to compare every quad to those nice bottle-conditioned Trappist Ales, but this one did come off as a tad under-carbonated. Still, if you like quads and come across this one, you must pick it up. Expensive, but definitely worth a try. The flavor and complexity are simply unsurpassed.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

Served room temperature in a snifter from a 33cl bottle. This is the 2010 batch. Bought for $8.50, which I hear is on the low end of the price spectrum.

Dark appearance with hint of cola color around the edges. Very fine carbonation, so the head disappears quickly.

Smell of an upstanding quad, with aromas of alcohol, caramel, spices, dried fruit, and malt.

Very smooth, dried-plum with alcohol taste, licorice, and cinnamon taste. Warm alcohol aftertaste.

With !0% abv, this is one of the better quads, but the licorice flavor is overwhelming.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My favourite style from one of my favourite breweries. Pannepot Reserve 2010 vintage. "Belgian Ale Brewed with Spices and Aged in Oak." I've had all the other Pannepot variants; really excited for this one. I try to avoid buying Belgian beers while in the U.S. because I know how much cheaper I can get them in Belgium, but I couldn't help myself when this came to my local beer store. Acquired for $7.99 USD. Expections could not be higher; every Pannepot I've had has been incredible. I loved the Grand Reserva. 10% ABV cofnirmed. "PnP No. 4" Bottle lot: 29|01|HH. Unpasteurized, unfiltered, and bottle conditioned. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with unbranded standard pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a lovely tan colour head, about 1.5 fingers in thickness. Nice soft complexion and creamy succulent texture. Colour is quite appealing given the style. Even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Supple, luscious, and inviting. No bubble show. Retention is quite good, around 7 minutes I'd say. The last of the creamy head clings to the surface, tantalizing the consumer. Soft and approachable.

Body colour is a a very dark ruby-black; solid and opaque. Some ruby glow at the bottom of the glass from scattered light. No yeast particles are visible, but it's nontransparent. Colour intensity is mild.

Looking good for a quadrupel. Very excited for this one.

Sm: Great. Dark fruits - including plum and fig. Cocoa powder, caramel, biscuit malts. Berry skin. Cream. Subtle supple oak in the background. Buried raisin. Dark currants and cherries emerge as it warms. A delightful mix of beautifully integrated dark fruit with very subtle oak notes. Luxuriously appealing. Traces of biscuity yeast. Some grape. Plum is dominant. An extremely subtle aroma with magnificent complexity. Mild in strength. No alcohol comes through. Can't wait to drink this one.

T: Ripples of luxurious dark fruit throughout - dates, dominant plum, fig, dark cherry, dark currants... Fruity notes are more overt than in many other top of the line quads; it lacks the masterful delicate subtlety of something like Westvleteren. Caramel. Hints of nutty notes. Biscuit malt. Some brown malt. Light cocoa powder. Some grape. Fruity sweetness up front slowly gives way to a bit of a more dry raisin body which still feels smooth and wet in spite of the hardening of texture. Nuanced. Oak isn't as splendorous as the aroma indicated; it's too restrained and timid here. I get the sense that the oak helps lend cohesion and focus to the many different flavours, but it doesn't offer much in terms of oaky or wooden taste. Not getting any subtle toasty or vanilla notes you might expect in an oak aged beer.

Overall, it's far more fruity than I expected. As a result, it's not quite as well balanced and built as other top Belgian quadrupels. Do I like it? Shit yes.

Mf: Supple, soft, smooth, and wet. Good carbonation; the bottle conditioning definitely helps it feel natural and apt. Good thickness and body. Good presence on the palate. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Extremely well done.

Still, it lacks the delicacy or fragility of superior quads.

Dr: Definitely a fine quad, no doubt. I'd definitely get it again at a better price; I can't justify the cost in the U.S. again knowing how little this would run be in Belgium. Hides its ABV very well and shows signs it would develop nicely with age. I'd definitely recommend this one to friends. Another jaw-dropper from De Struise. I tend to be hard on quads since they're my favourite, but this one I hold in high regard. I'd happily drink more than one of these in a night. I'm glad I'm not sharing it with anyone else.

Constructively, I'd like to see still more complexity and subtlety, as well as a refined fragile and delicate mouthfeel. Also, bring that oak out more, please! And maybe tame the fruit a bit. A bit too sweet and syrupy; I'm sure some reviewers will accuse it of being reminiscent of cough syrup but that's juvenile and reductive.

High B