Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pannepot Reserva | De Struise Brouwers

firstprev| 1101-1125 | 1126-1150 | 1151-1175  | next → last
Ratings: 1,160 |  Reviews: 390
3.12/5  rDev -27.6%

3.01/5  rDev -30.2%

Deep dark murky brown with a thin and bubbly tan head. Aroma is boozy and figgy with some liquorish. Cinnamon and candied sweetness follow. Flavor is sweet and bready with raison liquor and sugary booze. Touches of chocolate. Unbalanced towards booze and sweetness. Off-putting. Slick, boozy feel. Full bodied. Not very pleasing.

This is worlds apart from the Belgian version I love so much. This beer lacks the wonderful spice found in the first version. It's booze, equally pronounced, lacks the depth of flavor required to make it pleasant and its sugars do not add complex raison or fig character but rather detract making this beer too sweet to enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

This looked and tasted more like some variant of porter or stout than a quad. If someone had told me that it was made entirely from fermented molasses it would have seemed believable. Too syrupy and cloying. Not complex like a Trappistes Rochefort 10. Too heavy. Did not finish a 5 oz. glass served as part of a beer flight. Worst of all, it was a bit of a palate bomb and subsequent beers didn't taste as good.

2.5/5  rDev -42%

2.32/5  rDev -46.2%

2008 riserva pours an oddly quick carbonated head that disappearsquicker than it came. The color is a cola brown, the color along with the head was very reminiscient of pouring a can of soda in a glass - a fleeting foamy head that leaves no trace. Nose brings fishermans friend cough drops, smoky caramel, and i am beginning to be concerned i have an off bottle very disappointing so far. A slight prune taste with simple caramel, oak and a hint of vanilla. There is literally no carbonation and everything is muted and muddled. I really hope this bottle is just off and will rereview when i open a new one.

1.84/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

My initial impression of this beer is old pennies. I'll wait and see if it improves. There is something interesting going on underneath those old pennies, but diggin' through a pile of shit for a dollar bill ain't my bag.

As it warms, the old penny remains but is married with cinnamon. Now, I really like cinnamon as a spice, I cook a lot of savory dishes with it, so I'm not the sort of dude who thinks cinnamon is a monodimensional spice, but I really don't think it belongs in beer. This is a good case in point. Underneath the cinnamon there is a nice fig presence. Not undrinkable, but skirting the edge.

The more I drink it, the more "chocolate" starts to come through the mess that is this beer. About the only thing it has going for it right now is the booze factor. The old penny flavor is still dominating, despite my best efforts to scry through it.

Yeah, there is a lot going on with this beer, but much of what is going on isn't good and that which is, is obscured by all the nastiness. I guess if one is inclined to like quads (I'm not) it isn't bad, but really. I mean, I can appreciate a style I do not like, but I cannot appreciate this beer.

firstprev| 1101-1125 | 1126-1150 | 1151-1175  | next → last