Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pannepøt - Old Monk's Ale | De Struise Brouwers

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by weeare138 on 04-02-2007

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, 2006 vintage that I tried side by side with the regular version from the same vintage. Thanks for being an able and willing partner, John!

Like the regular version, this is a clear ruby red pour, gorgeous, with a thin disk for the head.

Richer, sweeter, fruitier and spicier than the regular version, I'm not sure I'm digging the amped up version as much as the regular version. Sweetness is higher than I'd like, mildly syrupy. Rum soaked dates come to mind (I should try that), with a combination of mace and allspice. Quite like a Christmas cake.

Opens sweet with a touch of metallic character that disappears after a while. Fairly simple, there's a lot of brown sugar and honey with alcohol being a lot more noticeable. Rummy and fruity, this finishes medium-dry with a touch of alcohol and spices. Medium-light in body, this is sweeter than I care for. Fruity and tasty on the finish, I can't help but notice that the higher carbonation in this version results in this not being as creamy as the regular version. Splitting this beer is pretty much necessary, and I'm glad I got to try this!

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Review from notes on 6/1/11.

2010 (unspiced) version poured into a cervoise. Best before code indicates this brew should be consumed sometime in the next 5 years (4/2016.) I believe we are well within that range, perhaps a bit early on the draw here if anything.

I popped the cap and on came a hiss of carbonation. A very careful pour down the side of my glass results in a deep muddy brown color that is quite cloudy. Even through the edges I cannot see through this brew. It really looks like muddy water. Less than a finger of yellowish stained head sat atop the brew and quickly dissolved. There would be nothing left atop the liquid in my glass if it wasn't for the constant stream of large bubbles that rush the surface only to race to the sides of my glass and then audibly pop and fade. I have had several other Pannepot offerings from Struise and this does not seem like any of my previous experiences. Even before I take a whiff or a sip, I am cautious about what I am getting myself into based on this brew's appearance.

The smell of this brew comes across sweet from a combination of dark residual malt scent that near chocolate character coupled with a familiar sweet scent of candy sugar. There are plenty of fruity notes that mingle with alcohol esters forming a scent vaguely similar to raisins. Hops are a final thought as this brew enters my nose. It smells of a combination of both fruity hops and some citrus to almost mineral-like quality. As the brew warms, it picks up a light vinous touch coupled with something reminiscent of orange peel.

The taste of this brew is surprisingly well balanced from what you would anticipate judging strictly from the nose. The flavors upfront are of sweet malt coupled with candy sugar. The flavor of chocolate malt and candy sugar quickly turns into a greater focus on the alcohol which is a little harsh tasting almost solvent and fruity. This brew finishes with a lingering bitterness that is herbal and a bit bitey. However, when mixed with the solid presence of the alcohol and candy-like sweetness it gets a bit medicinal at times. The finish is crisp yet has a lasting power with a taste that lingers inside the mouth of herbal to grassy hop bitterness, chocolate malt and a bit of a vinous twang.

This is a medium to full bodied offering with a distractingly excessive amount of carbonation. Just looking at the glass, you can see the carbonation is too high. Even continual sips and swirls does not tame how much carbonation this has. Once it enters your mouth, it really fizzes and tingles the tongue. This brew is quite complex but in an unusual way. The good parts about this brew are really good. However, the seemingly off or distracting flavors are not subtle and they clash with the pleasant characteristics of this brew. Perhaps, I should say shame on me for opening this too soon. However, I wanted to get my own experience at having this brew both fresh and with age on it so while this bottle was an interesting experience, I am curious to see how this brew either improves or goes down hill.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

750mL bottle shared by iowaherkeye in Jan. 2007.

Brown color with a beige head and decent retention. Smell is of brown sugar, plums, raisins, and caramel. Taste is slightly tart, has some tastes of pears, caramel, toffee, and some dark fruits too. Medium bodied with a heavier than medium body. Thanks for sharing this, Joey.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

2008 bottle, lot A4DD.

A: A nice brown with a light tan colored head. Lots of little floaties in the beer since I wasn't careful when pouring. Not much lacing left around the glass but there is a nice swirl of foam around the edges of the glass and over top of the beer.

S: Sweet/candied dark fruits, little bit of brown sugar, and a little spice in there.

T: Dark fruits and sweetness like brown sugar on the start of the taste, spice comes in next(can't quite pinpoint which ones, but it tastes like a belgian beer in the middle for sure) as well as a bit of oak/woodiness. Brown sugar mostly lingers in the finish, a bit of the dark fruits, but they are overpowered.

M:Not very carbonated but it feels medium thick and dense.

O:Pretty nice. Not my favorite quad and I don't know that I taste too much of the barrel aging, would be interested to know what was aged in the barrels before this beer, or if they were new barrels. Interesting and glad that I got to try it, but won't be buying it again for the price of it.

Reviewed on: 04-03-2011 01:31:08

3.71/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Pannepeut" 2011 vintage. 330ml bottle.

It pours a murky brown with a small off-white head. The head recedes with a bit of lacing.

I find the smell to have a grapey scent, like concord grapes. There is some perfumey alcohol, caramel, raisin, it smells very much like a liqueur of some sort. I like it.

The flavor is straight up what you would expect in a quad. Burnt sugars, candi syrup, dark fruits, alcohol. It has a unique bitterness though.

Pretty good one.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours dark brown with a small off-white head.
Nose shows cocoa, caramel, soft spices, nutmeg, bready malt and grainy notes.
Flavours include cocoa, burnt fig, bitter roast, astringent spices and booze.
Carbonation could be lower.
Was expecting more.